• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski or Kowa scope for Digiscoping? (1 Viewer)

mitchbooth

Hello Everyone,

Brand new to the forum and was looking for some advice as to what people feel is the best spotting scopes available for digiscoping.

Thanks,

Mitch

Hi Mitch,
I can only speak from my own experience, and I don't know what your budget is, but I first started digiscoping with a Celestron Ultima scope and results weren't very impressive at all.
There was no way I could afford a new top of the range scope so I went the second hand route, and bought a Leica APO 77, which I am delighted with.
I use a 32 wide angle eye piece which gives great results even just using a smart phone as the camera.
I'm sure more experienced members of BF will post and give you some more advice.
Sandy

Hi Mitch. The top line scopes of Kowa, Swaro, Leica and Zeiss should all be very good for digiscoping. The differences are more in the handling of accessories for digiscoping that are offered by the scope makers or others. Which one is preferable depends also with what kind of camera you want to digiscope.

Hi Mitch,

If those are the only two options you are considering, it is tough to choose one or the other. When choosing a spotting scope for digiscoping, more light is always better, so I always choose a larger objective lens. With that said, the cost of the Kowa is about half of what a Swarovski is, but don't let that fool you. The Kowa 88 (883/884) series is very popular among digiscopers. The Swarovski ATX 95 is also very popular, but double the price. I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back