• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dr. Königswald's (Tawny-browed) Owl and invalid Woodcreeper (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s some minor plausible(!) additions on today's HBW Alive Key entry regarding:
koeniswaldiana / koeniswaldianum / koeniswaldianus
Dr Gustav Koeniswald (fl. 1901) German ornithologist resident in Brazil (syn. Lepidocolaptes fuscus, Pulsatrix).
koeniswaldiana/koeniswaldianum as in:
• Tawny-browed Owl Pulsatrix koeniswaldiana BERTONI & BERTONI 1901 [Note: OD (Anales científicos paraguayos; 1901, p.175) unseen by me], however see Aves nuevas del Paraguay published the same year (here) as "Syrinium Koeniswaldianum" ... "(sp. n.)":
(Especie dedicada al Dr. Gustavo Koeniswald; ...).
And koeniswaldianus as in:
• the invalid "Picolaptes Koeniswaldianus" BERTONI 1901 (same, latter Paper, p.73) [synonym of (Lepidocolaptes) Xiphorhynchus fuscus VIEILLOT 1818]:
(Etimol.: de Picolaptes, n. adopt. por Berlepsch; especie dedicada al célebre ornitólogo de S. Pablo (Brasil Dr. Gustavo Koeniswald ),
... which I think is aimed at the German naturalist, ethnologist and early pioneer photographer (!) Gustav von Königswald ... present in Brazil (Sao Paolo) in the 1890's and early 1900's (at least until 1908) a k a Gustav von Koenigswald alt. Gustavo Koeniswald (both in Brazil). If resident in Brazil is unknown to me.

However; no dates, nor year of neither his birth nor death found.

See here, here and elswhere ... I guess you need to know German to get the full picture!

Anyone disagree?

Björn

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Not to confuse with the more well-known German paleontologist (Gustav Heinrich) Ralph von Koenigswald (1902–1982)

Last edited:
Here....

Im November 1911 starb in Las Palmas der Brasilienforscher Gustav von Koenigswald aus Karlsruhe i. Br., 48 Jahre alt. Er hat eine Reihe kleinerer Schriften über seine Reisen in Südamerika herausgegeben.

So looks like Gustav von Koenigswald (1863 (?1911-48 years?) in Karlsruhe - November 1911 in Las Palmas).

Birth could be (something like this is to find in Historias en la Piedra. La escritura última en los cementerios ingleses de Canarias)

Gustav / von Koenigswald, / geb(oren) 24. Juni 1863

Last edited:
Also see here or here (with several of his photos from Brazil), as well as; here (pp.232, 235) and here (p.141, the latter two in Portuguese!) his name is again written: "Gustav von Königswald" ... !

To me it does look like that the letter g does belong in his noble surname ... even with, or without, the oe (alt. œ) vs ö. In spite of how Mr. Bertoni wrote it (and the scientific names) in the ODs (i.e. Koenisw...).

Which one is The right one (on the oe or ö part) is beyond me.

Björn

PS. And well done Martin, if born in June 1863 ... and died in November 1911 he would have been 48 years old. Why the question mark?
__

Last edited:
As I haven't seen the last part properly in the publication (just in a preview of a famous search engine). If June 1863 is not his birth date there is still the possibility that he is born November/December 1862. But I feel 1863 is somehow safe.

Fair enough, Martin.

On top of this I think I was correct in my PS; "Not to confuse" with the more well-known German paleontologist Gustav Heinrich Ralph von Koenigswald (1902–1982), in post #1, as I actually think it´s his Father we´re looking for! ;)

See here (same famous Search engine):
Gustav Heinrich Ralph von Koenigswald was born in Berlin on 13th November 1902 of Danish-German parentage. His father, Gustav Adalbert von Koenigswald , was a nobleman of Danish origin. His ethnological researches carried him to South America ...
A Danish heritage would certainly explain the inconsistent use of oe versus ö (maybe originally even ø).

And I think his Mother (i.e. the wife of "our" guy) was Martha (née Jacobi). Also see the Paper: Die Cayuás, mit sechs Abbildungen (Os Cayuá, com seis Ilustrações), by Graciela Chamorro and Hannah Lena Roth, (2012) in Tellus 12, (No. 22), pp. 203-218. Most of it in Portuguese:
... documento é registrado sob o nome “Gustav Adalbert von Koenigswald” e com a profissão etnoloog, etnólogo, o que indica que ele, no mínimo, era um naturalista com incursões entre os povos indígenas. Provavelmente,. Koenigswald era casado com Martha Jacobi, que na página figura como mãe de seu filho.
If it truly is him is beyond me. And; that´s as far as I can go ... End of road (on my behalf). Whatever it was worth!

Anyone keen (with better language skills) ... Good luck!

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Tawny-browed Owl Pulsatrix koeniswaldiana M. Bertoni & W. Bertoni, 1901
Lesser Woodcreeper ssp. Picolaptes fuscus koeniswaldianus Bertoni, 1914 NCR [JS Xiphorhynchus fuscus fuscus]
Dr Gustavo Koeniswald (or Gustav Koenigswald) (fl.1896–at least 1906) was a German author and ornithologist at the Museu Paulista, São Paulo, in the ate nineteenth century. He wrote 'Ornithologia Paulista' n the Journal fur Ornithologie (1896).

But still not 100% clear when he was born in Karlsruhe.

Not German at all!

Gustav Adalbert Von Koenigswald
Birth Date:24 Jun 1863
Birth Place:Copenhagen, Kobenhavns Kommune, Hovedstaden, Denmark
Death Date:13 Nov 1911
Cemetery:English Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place:Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Provincia de Las Palmas, Islas Canarias, Spain

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back