• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wyver Lane Nature Reserve (DWT) (1 Viewer)

If it is the Frampton Marsh Wryneck Phil, there is also a Little Stint reported there as well. Also a Pec Sand at Freiston Shore which is only 25 mins away from Frampton.

Dave, thanks for that and yes it is, not a new bird but not seen one for years. Will have a look at Freiston as well.

Cheers

Phil

Brownie hero worshiping George Michael? I believe the great one had the audacity to question our record and suggest it was a juv Water Rail.;)

A Water Rail... what with... a broken bill?:eek!::eek!: Anyway I didn't know Water Rails bred down Wyver anymore;);) Love it:-O:-O

Has our spotty friend been seen today??? Mind you is anyone looking hard anymore?

ATB

Steph'

hi all, I was down wyver this morning, with five other birders, from around 8.30am-12.30pm, there was no sign of crake, but ,a juvenile water rail was seen by at least four of us. Good news for your patch I reckon.
regards

A Water Rail... what with... a broken bill?:eek!::eek!: Anyway I didn't know Water Rails bred down Wyver anymore;);) Love it:-O:-O

Has our spotty friend been seen today??? Mind you is anyone looking hard anymore?

ATB

Steph'

Dave rang me later on Monday night to ask if we could have been mistaken as WR had been seen. It's at moments like that you start to doubt yourself, but that bill was clearly short and stubby.

Clive, I know what you mean about doubting yourself, we all do it sometimes when people start questioning like Dave said, but as you say no mistaking that spotty's bill shape! A certain county recorder once accused a mate of mine of seeing a juv Water Rail when he reported a crake sp.... my mate has never forgiven him and it must be 25 years ago or more now!

By the way I was being a bit sarcastic when I said Water Rails don't breed down Wyver, I know the juv's wander in at this time of year, indeed we heard Water Rail squealing on the 8th August down there!

ATB

Steph'

hi all, I wouldn't doubt yourselves, I wasn't suggesting you hadn't seen a crake, record shots look like a spot crake to me .
regards

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back