• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (38 Viewers)

I've tried woodcock. I thought it was overated. I love pheasant but partridge is my absolute favourite. Pigeon breast is great too, a very cheap underated meat. I love wildlife and birds, but also think we must let some traditional country ways, i.e shooting game, carry on as it has the last few hundred years.

PPPPPLLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE don't start this type of thread on here - its been hammerred to death elsewhere on BF. Thanks.

Pyrtle.

Ok. No worries. I wasn't aware of that. I generally stick to the 'Your local patch' forums or optical sections. I guess it's one of those that you can argue 'til you're blue in the face and still be no better off at the end of it, than when you started.

I will change the subject. I have a spare day saturday, was thinking about heading to Kessingland for the swift early doors but don't know what to do afterwards. Have seen kestrel so ideally would like to come back into Norfolk for some birding. Does anyone have any predictions as to what could turn up?

Regards.
Billy.

Titchwell April 1st

Today's highlights

Tree sparrow - 3 on feeders
Wheatear - 5 on grazing marsh
Velvet scoter - 19 offshore
Red necked grebe - 1 still offshore
Spotted redshank - 4 on fresh marsh
White wagtail - 2 on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 1on fresh marsh
Avocet - 80 on lagoons

Paul

I've tried woodcock. I thought it was overated. I love pheasant but partridge is my absolute favourite. Pigeon breast is great too, a very cheap underated meat. I love wildlife and birds, but also think we must let some traditional country ways, i.e shooting game, carry on as it has the last few hundred years.

This thread is about BIRDIING in Norfolk NOT shooting and eating them!!!!" please start another thread to discuss this if you have to!!!

Best Wishes Penny

Pyrtle.

Ok. No worries. I wasn't aware of that. I generally stick to the 'Your local patch' forums or optical sections. I guess it's one of those that you can argue 'til you're blue in the face and still be no better off at the end of it, than when you started.

I will change the subject. I have a spare day saturday, was thinking about heading to Kessingland for the swift early doors but don't know what to do afterwards. Have seen kestrel so ideally would like to come back into Norfolk for some birding. Does anyone have any predictions as to what could turn up?

Regards.
Billy.

Good luck with the swift Billy. Re: birding in Norfolk - stick to the coast for migrants dropping in - anything can turn up anywhere - just enjoy birding.

Best Wishes penny

I've heard pallid swift are quite tasty, maybe you could eat that, it was showing to 10 feet earlier, take a net with you ?

a solution to this was provided by the legendary poster Snow Bunting in the misIDed Yorkshire Chimney Swift thread, can't think of an easier way to get a Swift on a plate -

"Conventional trapping methods would have been inappropriate due to the species involved. How about a large butterfly net on carbon fibre extensions (akin to a fishing rod) which could be drawn through the air, or a "tazer" type device which could electrify a small portion of sky with a mild voltage, stunning the bird, similar to electro-fishing as used by fish researchers".

A first this week !

My first visit to The Waterside at Rollesby was something of a disappointment. There was an interminable wait for the things to arrive, once ordered, and they then proved hardly worth the wait. An insipid coffee was had with a slightly tired and synthetic Black Forest Gateau. The view was good: over the Broad were my first prolonged Swallows (2 or 3) and a few Buzzards and Marshies.

This morning, nothing much happened until Friary Hills, where several Chiffchaffs were in full song- as was a Swallow. Extended views of a heavily blotchy, perched Mistle Thrush were unusual, as was the fact that it didn’t fly. The photos proved unworthy.

Walsey was entertaining and most pleasant, with constant repartee from the brush-clearers. (I can still smell the wood smoke on my shirt.) It’s looking good.

On returning home, some gully whines, as I parked the car, alerted me to the two West Runton Meds, drifting west quite high overhead. The adult seems to have lost most of its tail (?).

Another first earlier in the week was less than raptorous and involved a visit to the county to the south, after work ! Thus, nothing more on this thread.

Last edited:
Male Yellow Wagtail at Titchwell this afternoon on the Parrinder bank along with Water Pipit and White Wagtail (the latter showing very well). Spotted Redshank also on the Freshmarsh and 3 Wheatears on the Grazing Marsh.

3 Blackcaps this morning at Denver Sluice.

Holme Marsh Reserve and footpath north

Didn't have much time this morning, but managed to get a bit of birding in!

Didn't look for your Bluethroat Connor!!!!! (see my blog)

Swallow sitting on the wire in Holme village before visiting parents.

Parked car by the gate for the 3 hides and walked north along the public footpath. Found a headless mallard on the path! Couple of Chiffchaffs singing and a Sparrowhawk errupted from the willows on the west side of the track. Several greylags on the marsh and on the way back a stoat crossed the path. At least a 100 woodpigeons in the field by the church and a couple of red leg partridges - oh and a Green Woodpecker called.

Following the path to the first hide I saw two song thrushes, another Chiffchaff and a wren. From the first hide I had extremely close views of a female Marsh Harrier which scattered 300+ Woodpigeons from the the marsh! Few tufted duck and good number of coot and a pair of Canada Geese in the centre island.

Nothing too special, but nice to escape for a while before work this afternoon!

Typing this at work in my break.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Holme Marsh Reserve and footpath north

Didn't have much time this morning, but managed to get a bit of birding in!

Didn't look for your Bluethroat Connor!!!!! (see my blog)

Swallow sitting on the wire in Holme village before visiting parents.

Parked car by the gate for the 3 hides and walked north along the public footpath. Found a headless mallard on the path! Couple of Chiffchaffs singing and a Sparrowhawk errupted from the willows on the west side of the track. Several greylags on the marsh and on the way back a stoat crossed the path. At least a 100 woodpigeons in the field by the church and a couple of red leg partridges - oh and a Green Woodpecker called.

Following the path to the first hide I saw two song thrushes, another Chiffchaff and a wren. From the first hide I had extremely close views of a female Marsh Harrier which scattered 300+ Woodpigeons from the the marsh! Few tufted duck and good number of coot and a pair of Canada Geese in the centre island.

Nothing too special, but nice to escape for a while before work this afternoon!

Typing this at work in my break.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

sounds like plenty going off at Holme, really pleased as I'm off down there today! Getting ready for a weeks birding in Holme, Titchwell, and Snettisham, so hopefully plenty will be showing for me two (fingers crossed)! Here's to a productive first visit of the year! Note to self, don't forget to renew membership at NOA!!!;)

A couple I was speaking to at Titchwell yesterday said they had a Willow Warbler feeding in cut reeds in front of the second village hide at Holme that same day.

Spanish phylling takes the bizcocho

West Runton (where the pond recedes apace through being infilled), then Salthouse, yielded nowt of interest, save for a couple of Wheatears and a flyover 1S Med Gull at the latter.

Friary was the same, no change; not even any butterflies, despite the more than touch of warmth. (I was not to see one all day.)

A message on the pager informed me that the ‘probable Iberian Chiffchaff’ had reappeared at Stiffkey Fen. With nothing better to do (!), I drove the back way thru Langham and, inexplicably, turned west in Stiffkey itself.

Eventually reaching the spot, I found two of Norfolk’s finest, who’d been grilling the creature since the morning, had sought literature and were now even better equipped to clinch its ID.

After a short while, it showed and called and sang: video, still and mp3 records exist- Julian B having taken some fine shots.

All I could manage was a short video clip, which should only be listened to (it just shows some willows), but is still too big to download on to here.

Whilst all this was going on, a Short-eared Owl gave a pleasant shock, with a fly-past. There was a pair of Med Gulls on the Fen.

I decided not to twitch the warbler and spent a quiet afternoon around Cley / Kelling in the hope that something would pass through. Highlights:
A pair of Med Gulls looked settled on Kelling Water and 2 Sandwich Terns flew past out to sea (my first this year)

Fantastic Day Out:t:

Met up with Pete Snook, Graham, Glyn (Lesvos crew) and Ron at Cley Visitor Centre at 9.30am. Jam rolls, butties, tea and coffee were consumed by all (Graham, Glyn and Ron had driven from Leicester) and after watching 3 Marsh Harriers we started off at Cley Coastguards. 4 Wheatears were in the Eye Field along with meadow pipits and skylarks. Watching the sea produced a Red-throated Diver going east, a Great Crested Grebe on the sea, several cormorants and at 11am Pete sharply picked up 4 Sandwich Terns going west (I only saw 3 though) - first of the year:t: Walked to North Hide, meadow pipits on route, usual birds from Hide: Avocets, turnstone, redshank, a single dunlin etc etc.

Stunning views in the sunshine of a Dartford Warbler in heathland area, which I managed to get photos of aswell - well smudgy record shots!)

Walsey Hills - Cettis Warbler singing, Chiffchaff, first Blackcap of the year singing, 2 linnets with 1 skylark on the back fields and 1 Swallow going west at 1.20pm from the top path overlooking Arnold's. NOA have cut down so much vegetation it is now possibly to take a short-cut from the back path just before the hide, although Graham took this short-cut a little too quickly:-O:-C and fell flat amongst the gorse to which Glyn and I were in hysterics over (we should not have been laughing really, but couldn't help it!) No sign of any Adders which is hardly surprising really, with all the continued disturbance! The steps have still not been finished at the top of the hill and pond still empty.

Kelling Heath - 2.20pm First Willow Warbler of the year singing and also Woodlark heard singing. At 3.20pm another Willow Warbler was heard and also seen - sitting preening himself, beautiful. A flock of approx 40+ Redpolls flew over our heads on the way back to the carpark!!!! Glyn found an interesting dead black beetle (photographed) and a third Willow Warbler was seen at 3.45pm.

Kelling Water Meadows - Didn't see very much here, on the pools: black headed gulls, shoveler, teal, redshank, gadwall and a little egret were seen. Sitting on the shingle seawall we watched 2 Wheatears on the beach.

RBA Pager then confirmed the Iberian Chiffchaff at Stiffkey Fen and off we went!!! The walk back to the car from the Water Meadows seemed to go on forever!!! The usual parking places at Stiffkey Fen were obviously taken up so attempted to park the cars on the grass verge on the opposite side! Climbed over both stiles and at the small pond on the left we passed R.M. and S.G. et al who said 'you have passed it'!!!!! They had seen it flying towards us (on our left). According to a local birder who I recognised but didn't know his name, it had been flying backwards and forwards along the path quite actively all afternoon. Anyway about a minute after R.M. etc had passed us, we watched the Iberian Chiffchaff at 6.10pm as it flew from the bushes close by, across the field and into a hedgerow where it did a bit of fly catching, then disappeared from view. It would have been nice to watch it for longer, but then I suppose we should have got there sooner! If I wasn't at work tomorrow I would definately be going to watch it again in the morning, but hey ho! Two adult Med. Gulls were sitting on the Fen.

We all departed from Stiffkey Fen and I drove home along the coast road.

Burnham Overy - 2 Marsh Harriers.

Burnham Norton - Carpark - 1 Marsh Harrier and 1 Barn Owl while watching the sun setting over the distant reed beds.

Last edited:
Iberian Chiffchaff

RBA Pager then confirmed the Iberian Chiffchaff at Stiffkey Fen and off we went!!! The walk back to the car from the Water Meadows seemed to go on forever!!! The usual parking places at Stiffkey Fen were obviously taken up so attempted to park the cars on the grass verge on the opposite side! Climbed over both stiles and at the small pond on the left we passed R.M. and S.G. et al who said 'you have passed it'!!!!! They had seen it flying towards us (on our left). According to a local birder who I recognised but didn't know his name, it had been flying backwards and forwards along the path quite actively all afternoon. Anyway about a minute after R.M. etc had passed us, we watched the Iberian Chiffchaff at 6.10pm as it flew from the bushes close by, across the field and into a hedgerow where it did a bit of fly catching, then disappeared from view. It would have been nice to watch it for longer, but then I suppose we should have got there sooner! If I wasn't at work tomorrow I would definately be going to watch it again in the morning, but hey ho! Two adult Med. Gulls were sitting on the Fen.

No sign of Iberian chiffchaff early morning.

Did not see it. Well done to those who did. Didn't fancy a trip from home and along the coast road on a bank holiday weekend, late afternoon, to a site where parking is difficult.

A year tick for me after the Colney 2007 and Portland The Verne 1999 birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back