• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuerteventura 18th to 25th June 2008 (1 Viewer)

rachk116

England
Just back from a week in Fuerteventura. The aim was for a relaxing holiday but some birdwatching was done. Our base was the Suite Atlantis Hotel in Corralejo (highly recommended for a bit of luxury). The ‘Gosney’ site guide and various trip reports from the internet were used. Due to the wonderful postal service, the Prion site guide I planned to use was not delivered before we went away (even though it was ordered just over 3 weeks before!!!). Although we only saw 21 species, we did see some quality birds, including 5 new species!

Here is a summary of what we saw:
  • Egyptian Vulture – Flying alongside the FV605 near Cortijo de Chilegua
  • Harrier sp. – 1 seen on la Pared just north of Costa Calma, possibly Hen Harrier
  • Kestrel – 1 seen around the sports arena on the outskirts of Corralejo
  • Cream-coloured Courser – c.8 seen at the junction of track to Cortijo de Famapaire and the FV102 south of La Oliva (to be referred to from now on as ‘the Courser site’!!)
  • Kentish Plover – 3 seen on the coast just south of Corralejo
  • Bar-tailed Godwit – 2 seen on the coast just south of Corralejo
  • Whimbrel – 1 seen on the coast just south of Corralejo
  • Yellow-legged Gull – Various locations
  • Black-bellied Sandgrouse – 25+ on la Pared just north of Costa Calma
  • Collared Dove – Everywhere!!!
  • Common Swift – Various locations
  • Hoopoe – 1 seen near our Hotel and 2 seen at the Courser site
  • Bee-eater – 2 seen flying over Corralejo and 2 seen over la Pared just north of Costa Calma
  • Lesser Short-toed Lark – large flock (c.20) at the Courser site
  • House Martin – 1 seen flying over Isla de los Lobos
  • Berthelot’s Pipit – several seen in various places including, Barranco south of El Cotillo, Corralejo Harbour, Isla de los Lobos and the Courser site
  • Whitethroat – 1 seen briefly just north of Betancuria on roadside
  • Southern Grey Shrike – Various locations, including waste ground near Hotel in Corralejo and El Cotillo
  • Linnet – 2 seen at Barranco south of El Cotillo
  • Trumpeter Finch – 2 seen on coastal wasteland near Bristol Hesperia Hotel in Corralejo
  • Spanish Sparrow – Everywhere!!!

Was disappointed not to get the Chat and Bustard but may return again one spring with my 'Prion' site guide to clean up!!!

Hope this is of interest.

Rachel

Amazed you did'nt get the Chat and the Bustard they are normaly fairly easy to see, surprised you did'nt see any Plain Swifts.

Only really birded whilst sightseeing. Only place visited specifically for birds was La Pared. Lots of people walking about and VERY windy. Definitely want to go back for a proper look someday. Swifts weren't able to be thoroughly checked as most were seen whilst driving along the southern coast. Partner is a non-birder too so didn't really want to make him tag along and get bored as it was supposed to be a relaxing holiday so I managed to sneak La Pared in as a nice walk too!! ;);)

Last edited:
Amazed you did'nt get the Chat and the Bustard they are normaly fairly easy to see, surprised you did'nt see any Plain Swifts.

Having spent a week there and seen chat and bustard and a Spanish rarity (Yellow-browed Warbler) but missed courser, sandgrouse and vulture I wouldn't think this particularly amazing.

Stephen.

Rachel,

I could be wrong as I've never yet made it to Fuerteventura, but my memory suggests that Common Whitethrat does not breed on the island, whereas Spectacled Warbler is reasonably common. Might be worth double checking?

BT

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back