• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uncut wild areas in the fields (1 Viewer)

trw

Looking for some expert knowledge here.

On my regular walks around South Cumbria recently I have noticed the farmers have cut the grass in the fields and left some irregular areas uncut,sometimes at the edges but more noticeably in random areas in the middle of the fields.

At first I hoped that they had left these areas uncut because of birds which had already nested there or will nest there.

It has had little effect for Lapwings as there are only about 8 in one of the areas and the Curlews have all but gone.

Coincedentally there was another large field near Killington where a similar large area was uncut.There were 4 Lapwing still hanging around.

This is the first time I have I have noticed so many 'wild' areas.Generally every blade of grass is cut.

Is this part of some sort of deal ith the farmers to leave areas uncut for Wildlife.

Is this part of some sort of deal ith the farmers to leave areas uncut for Wildlife.

Yes - skylark plots, ELS/HLS margins etc. They receive subsidy payments for creating and maintaining these areas. Mostly they are not areas that are left uncut, but they are specially sown with appropriate seed mixes. More than half of farmland is in some sort of agri-environmental subsidy scheme.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back