• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds you would most like to see in the UK in 2014 (1 Viewer)

In terms of vagrants, any owls would be nice, but more likely:
1. Long-eared Owl
2. Red-throated Diver
3. Jack Snipe
4. Grasshopper Warbler
5. Bean Goose

Blimey, John, I've seen summat in the UK that you've not!;)

I picked off the traditional Fair Isle specialities one at a time: PG Tips on Blakeney Point, Pechora Pipit on the Sandhill Crane twitch, Yellow-breasted Bunting Farne Islands, Paddyfield Warbler Redcar. I missed the Norfolk and Landguard Lanceys that I should have had. I'm reluctant to fund a Shetland stay just for a Lanceolated Warbler.

Ratel: I've got pix of Beardies, just no spanking male up close. Its a zonking bird and I want it!

John

I've got pix of Beardies, just no spanking male up close. Its a zonking bird and I want it!

John

I have to say, I totally utterly understand that an uber up close Beardie would be a dream prize.

Totally.

As a Number 6: I'd like to add Hawk Owl to my list.

I have only been birding for a few years so could list 100 but top 5 for me are
1. Black neck grebe. (missed a few locally in the last week)
2. bittern. (had glimpses but not full views)
3. woodcock (hopefully this week end)
4. golden eagle ( dream bird )
5. glossy ibis (another bird ive just missed out on this week)

Would like to see,and they must be in Dorset

1 Dipper
2 Puffin
3 Shorted eared Owl
4 Hen Harrier
5 Red Kite.
Though there are many more I would like to see having only started taking birding and listing seriously since late 2012 and 2013 was my first complete year of listing the birds I have seen.

1 Dipper - Lyme Regis on the river that runs thru the town
2 Puffin - Portland Bill from mid March or take one of the Puffin special boats from Swanage to Dancing Ledge in early June
3 Shorted eared Owl - Wyke Down near Sixpenny Handley
4 Hen Harrier - Wareham Channel eg off Swineham Point
5 Red Kite. - probably best chance Wyke Down

Ian

1 Dipper - Lyme Regis on the river that runs thru the town
2 Puffin - Portland Bill from mid March or take one of the Puffin special boats from Swanage to Dancing Ledge in early June
3 Shorted eared Owl - Wyke Down near Sixpenny Handley
4 Hen Harrier - Wareham Channel eg off Swineham Point
5 Red Kite. - probably best chance Wyke Down

Ian

Thank you for that info much appreciated:t:

Living near the coast of Cornwall there is a good variety of species all year round plus some seasonal rarities however the habitat of coastline and farmland is not ideal for all species. The lack of notable British woodland habitat in the county mean it can be hard work tracking down some birds such as Woodcock which is on my list. Additionally some species are for whatever reason just hard to get such as Green Woodpecker and some owl species.

I love going to East Anglia, Gloucestershire and Scotland to see different species which I rarely see in Cornwall and enjoy a change of scenery and that is what makes the UK so great for birding - such a diverse range of birds and habitats.

For such a small island the UK has such a great range of bird species and a variety of landscapes in which they can be found, let us hope it all can be enjoyed by future generations of birders rather than being bulldozed for more new housing.

I am interested to know what UK based birders would most like to see this year in the UK. Rarities can be included but most of us have bogey birds that we just can't seem to connect with so what are your "most wanted" of 2014?

Please limit your choices to a maximum of five species, mine are:-

1) Woodcock
2) Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
3) Shore Lark
4) Nightingale
5) Corncrake.

None of which I have seen in the UK.|=@|

A month into 2014 and still no luck with these (thought I'd revive this thread as it seems to be the "in" topic!)

I have changed mine due to my up coming trip to the Outer Hebrides
1 WTE
2 Red- necked Phalarope
3 GN Diver (summer plumage)
4 Goshawk
5 Green Woodpecker
However I could carry on with a couple of others but I'll stick to the rules

Damian

1. Goshawk
2. Honey buzzard
3. white tailed eagle (close view - spent a week on Skye last year and only saw distant birds despite going on the wildlife boat trips etc)
4. Hawfinch
5. Little bittern

Would love to see Siberian Rubythroat and White's Thrush and Blue-cheeked Bee-eater most of all, need too a Corncrake and Great/Cory's Shearwater this year.

I know, but irrespective of plastic untickableness I would still like to see one and happy to pay. It is all because of the Shell Guide from 1984 with the 'regulars' and 'vagrants'. I need 4 more regulars, Lady A'sis one of them.

I know, but irrespective of plastic untickableness I would still like to see one and happy to pay. It is all because of the Shell Guide from 1984 with the 'regulars' and 'vagrants'. I need 4 more regulars, Lady A'sis one of them.

What are the other three? (Save me flipping through the book again!)

John

1 Green Woodpecker (I've never actually seen one)
2. Corncrake
3. Kingfisher
4. Hen Harrier
5. White Tailed Eagle

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back