• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1991 - Southern Giant Petrel- Italy (1 Viewer)

Having cut short a desultory and damp mornings birding I've been reading and wondering about a few old WP records. Does anyone have any details on the Southern Giant Petrel recorded for Italy in 1991? I found a possible reference to it been seen from a ferry between Ancona and Greece but couldn't locate anything else.

I'm also curious about the Tristans Albatross caught alive on Sicily in 1957, though there's a bit more detail available. Was the bird preserved? It was apparently photographed but I can't find it on the net.

Some info here: http://shearwater.nl/seabird-osteol...batros bill in Amsterdam DB31(1)1-16_2009.pdf

I'm guessing this is all in the Haas book but at £29 a go I might have to talk myself into it with a bit more conviction. The book shelves are groaning as it is.

As you suggest, Haas 2012...
Southern Giant Petrel Macronectes giganteus
Italy (1)
02 September 1991, Adriatic Sea [Brichetti et al. 1995]
The Italian bird was seen from a ferry between Greece and Ancona, Italy (Frédéric Jiguet in litt).

Tristan Albatross Diomedea dabbenena
Italy (1)
04 October 1957, Termini Imerese, Palermo, Sicily, collected (Museo di Storia Naturale, Terrasini: 2537 ex 4300), immature male [Corso 2009; Haas 2009; Orlando 1958]
...the specimen from Sicily was identified as a Tristan Albatross and is currently accepted on the Italian list (Giancarlo Fracasso in litt).
[Includes a colour photo of the preserved specimen.]

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back