• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mugimaki Flycatcher? Dec 2017, Singapore (1 Viewer)

TwiddlingThumbs

Could this be a Mugimaki Flycatcher? This is the only shot of the bird. I thought I saw an orange-y chest when it turned around briefly before flying off. Does the lack of an eye ring means this is a juvenile?

Help appreciated!

Attachments

• MFC.JPG
    MFC.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 115
Could this be a Mugimaki Flycatcher? This is the only shot of the bird. I thought I saw an orange-y chest when it turned around briefly before flying off. Does the lack of an eye ring means this is a juvenile?

Help appreciated!

Having looked on the net (never seen one), your image is certainly suggestive of MF, it does have an eye-ring, albeit subdued by the ambient lighting, also appears to show pale tips to the coverts, and there is a suggestion of a warm tint to the underparts, add that to your "orangey chest" glimpse, and you may well have a slam dunk. Assuming of course that there is no other confusion species with near identical cosmetics?

Cheers

Was this at Dairy Farm Nature Park? It looks a little like the female Narcissus Flycatcher seen there recently.

I think Andy is correct, though I've not seen Narcissus flycatcher it looks a good fit to me.
Jizz looks wrong for Brown fly (also note lack of distinct eyering,and no evidence of pale lores or submoustachial stripe), whilst Mugimaki show an orange wash to the throat extending onto the breast, and in my experience, the females appear to have a slightly "capped" appearance, with a slightly darker crown.

Yes, Andy. This was at Dairy Farm Nature Park though not at the "usual" place the Narcissus was reported.

I have not seen a Narcissus before and thought the short bill fits a Mugimaki based on the description in "Birds of East Asia" by Brazil. From the plates, I can see why there may confusion as I'm not familiar with either.

So I can file this as Narcissus Flycatcher?

John,
I just checked Facebook. The bird identified as Narcissus Flycatcher recently in Dairy Farm also had double wing bars and pale fringed tertials, although that bird has a greyish-green tone. The bill looks a little longer but that could be due to the angle of the head of the bird versus the one in my photo. Believe it was posted by See Toh (also a member here) on Facebook. I can't share his photo without his consent. Maybe he will catch this post and comment.

John,
I just checked Facebook. The bird identified as Narcissus Flycatcher recently in Dairy Farm also had double wing bars and pale fringed tertials, although that bird has a greyish-green tone. The bill looks a little longer but that could be due to the angle of the head of the bird versus the one in my photo. Believe it was posted by See Toh (also a member here) on Facebook. I can't share his photo without his consent. Maybe he will catch this post and comment.

I'd agree with John, looks fine for a Mugimaki to me also.

Sorry if I stirred things up a bit - at first glance the OP bird bore a resemblance to the recent Narcissus (2nd record for Singapore). Looking again at that bird, however, it does have a slightly greenish cast to the upperparts, the bill is larger and pinker, and the wingbars and tertial fringes are buffish, rather than white as on the OP bird. I also missed Twiddling Thumbs' reference to an "orangey chest".

Mugimaki for me; and I also saw one at Dairy Farm on Saturday but an easier to id frontal view!

TT, mine also was not where the Narcissus and other Mugimaki's that have been seen there over the last week or so. My one was in the large tree above the Carpark B rest area.

I also agree with you See Toh's had a very different colour tone to it.

Well, maybe. But I would still have expected more of a red throat to be visible in the OP's picture.

Attachments

• 141018077 Osakajokoen A.jpg
    141018077 Osakajokoen A.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 51
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back