• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id bunting? (1 Viewer)

Abraham Shokouhi

Please help me to Id. I wonder it is Black-headed Bunting or Rock bunting.
I captured it in July in mountain near Dizin ski resort in Iran. The elevation was almost 3600 m.

Attachments

• DSCN6891B.jpg
    DSCN6891B.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 379
Wow, this bird really has me stumbled. I have never seen anything alike and will be most interested in what others say about it. Looks like a mixture of Jankowski's and Rock Bunting, but that's more than unlikly I guess

Please help me to Id. I wonder it is Black-headed Bunting or Rock bunting.
I captured it in July in mountain near Dizin ski resort in Iran. The elevation was almost 3600 m.

Abraham, I can't find anything in Collins that even "remotely" at (3600m elevation) resembles the presumed male on the left of this image. We'll have to wait until the experts put their two cents in, although it might be a long time coming?

A species new to science.....surely not. :eek!:

Very interesting bird. Black Headed seems the nearest, but not close.
Could not find anything similar in the 'Birds of East Asia' either.

The female-type bird looks a bit like Black- or Red-headed Bunting (or maybe Cinereous). I was just wondering if the male could be an aberrant Black-headed, but I can't find any record of such a thing, and I'd have thought the altitude rules it out.

Last edited:
For me, the male looks a lot like a winter male Black-headed Bunting:
http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=108058&Bird_ID=1917&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=
http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=24445&Bird_ID=1917&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=

Although I don't know why it should look like this on the breeding grounds in July!

It doesn't explain the white throat, or greyish tones on the head and mantle, though. There's only a hint of yellow on the flank. Even if it's an aberrant individual, as I said before, 3600 m is quite an altitude for a bird of lowland farmland/open country.

For me, the male looks a lot like a winter male Black-headed Bunting:
http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=108058&Bird_ID=1917&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=
http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=24445&Bird_ID=1917&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=

Although I don't know why it should look like this on the breeding grounds in July!

That was my thought too. The pp is rather long which would fit. What if it is a first year male with a somewhat delayed moult? Immatures can look very white-throated (link) and winter birds rather greyish on the back (link). Assuming it is a pair, the female certainly looks like a BHB. Still, the altitude seems wrong...

Any chance of more photos?

Doesn't say when in July.....could be "returning" passage birds, as I have to assume that passage birds would "have the mechanism to cope with elevation? BHB would be the nearest default species, however it's plumage white throat and partial dark mask, doesn't appear to match anything that I could find on the web.....aberrant...dunno?

Abraham, I can't find anything in Collins that even "remotely" at (3600m elevation) resembles the presumed male on the left of this image. We'll have to wait until the experts put their two cents in, although it might be a long time coming?

A species new to science.....surely not. :eek!:

I was doing my thesis fieldwork on Rock Nuthatches there.I Saw these birds by chance and took just two pictures and they flew away. I had my handheld GPS and point it. So, the elevation is correct ;) The Summit is almost 4170 m.

Last edited:
I was doing my thesis fieldwork on Rock Nuthatches there.I Saw these birds by chance and took just two pictures and they flee away. I had my handheld GPS and point it. So, the elevation is correct ;) The Summit is almost 4170 m.

Checking the elevations in that general region, there is a considerable area over 3500m asl of a reasonably consistent habitat mix. Therefore, from the 'sky island' concept, the Alborz region has the potential for a new (?) regional taxon. There already are a number of essentially Hyrcanian taxa, mostly forest birds.

It would be useful to know which bird skin collectors covered this region, and whether they avoided the high tops. I dare say someone like Kees Roselaar, from his knowledge of collections and collecting history could inform the debate here.
MJB

Black Headed X Red Headed hybrid? They are known to hybridise in eastern Iran, with males having intermediate characters.

neither of the two has a bill like in black-headed/red-headed and the male has a rufous rump like e.g. in rock bunting (which looks closest and habitat would fit). the juvenile(?) however looks like an eastern cinereous bunting. quite strange...

I'd love to know what these birds are! I had assumed they're a pair.
Although i agree the right hand bird does indeed look like Cinereous, i doubt it can be as their distribution stops a long way west of Dizin, according to Birdlife (and they're not really a high Alpine species). I hope someone comes along who can shed some light as the male is a striking bird and the photos aren't too bad...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back