• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Bubo scandiacus" ??? (1 Viewer)

GreatHornedOwl

Grumpy Armchair Birder
... Did a google this weekend to find out more about Snowy owls ... and hey! ...it's not Nyctea scandiaca anymore !? :eek!:

So I discovered it's now in the Bubo genus, first time I noticed that - now I only hope they're not going to publish new updated and revised editions of all the field guides in which the species appears !!! I just bought all of them over the past two years and spent lots of money !! :scribe: :brains: :-C :-C

(Great Horned Owl is in distress - he's ruined himself on field guides and sheds lots of tears...)

... Seriously, I knew they found out Nyctea scandiaca was closely related to Bubo virginianus (possibly of the same ancestor), but it was still a bit of a surprise - hence my post ;-) . ... And yes, what happens now to the field guides ??? (Zetterstrom/Mullarney, Sibley, Peterson, ... ??)

GreatHornedOwl said:
... Did a google this weekend to find out more about Snowy owls ... and hey! ...it's not Nyctea scandiaca anymore !? :eek!:

So I discovered it's now in the Bubo genus, first time I noticed that - now I only hope they're not going to publish new updated and revised editions of all the field guides in which the species appears !!! I just bought all of them over the past two years and spent lots of money !! :scribe: :brains: :-C :-C

(Great Horned Owl is in distress - he's ruined himself on field guides and sheds lots of tears...)

... Seriously, I knew they found out Nyctea scandiaca was closely related to Bubo virginianus (possibly of the same ancestor), but it was still a bit of a surprise - hence my post ;-) . ... And yes, what happens now to the field guides ??? (Zetterstrom/Mullarney, Sibley, Peterson, ... ??)

Re-arranging species between genuses is not a intervention of today. It has been going on for some 248 years - at least . . . (o)<

avifauna said:
Re-arranging species between genuses is not a intervention of today. It has been going on for some 248 years - at least . . . (o)<

You do get used a classification though- I still feel a bit disorientated by the re-classification of Bonelli's Eagle and Booted Eagle into the Aquila eagles in 2005. I just don't think of Booted Eagle as an aquila (or having boots).

white-back said:
You do get used a classification though- I still feel a bit disorientated by the re-classification of Bonelli's Eagle and Booted Eagle into the Aquila eagles in 2005. I just don't think of Booted Eagle as an aquila (or having boots).
Don't worry: Booted will be classified back into Hieraaetus (but Bonelli's won't). Much more rearrangements imminent in the eagle department!

Yes, that's the great thing about websites. While books have to be republished, a webmaster just gives a quick adjustment of a database, and presto, Nyctea becomes Bubo... as did Ketupa :-\

Hi Deane,

Nice to see you made it over here... As much as I love Owls there are more than just Owls...

you probably remember me as weewilliewinkieus

cuckooroller said:
Hi Deane,

Nice to see you made it over here... As much as I love Owls there are more than just Owls...

you probably remember me as weewilliewinkieus

Yes, there's the species that owls prey upon ;-)

Molecular and mophological studies showed Snowy Owl is most closely related to Great Horned Owl Bubo virginianus and the distinctive features of Snowy Owl can all be related to adaptation to extreme arctic environments.

You'll also find that Brown Fish Owl Ketupa zeylonensis is now Bubo zeylonensis

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back