• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Brown warbler" UK (1 Viewer)

Kingfisher21

I don't usually have a problem IDing common warblers just this one I'm not sure about. It's brown. So must be reed warbler? The tail seems totally wrong for reed, bill is a tad too short/thick, throat too dark/buff, legs are pink not dark. Habitat was wrong too but obviously it's migration time so this doesn't prove anything.
What do you think? Still reed (juve?) or sth else? Cheers.

Attachments

• 1warbler.jpg
    1warbler.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 411
From a distance I first thought garden warbler too but isn't it far too brown? Also, the bill seems a bit too long, wings look too short (unless of course it's a juve - which it probably is - but still - just doesn't have the gentle 'garden warbler look' on its face). ;) Tail looks wrong too...

Really not sure, especially when compared to this shot:

Attachments

• 1gardenwarbler2011b.jpg
    1gardenwarbler2011b.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 107
Puzzling. My initial thought upon opening up the picture was Grasshopper warbler, but clearly it is lacking the streaking on the upper parts. I may be seeing what I want, but is that a hint of black feathering on the alula showing slightly on the side.

I do wish it was a gropper as I still haven't seen one (only heard) but not likely...the bird lacks, as you said, the streaking and also the rounded tail. So what is it? :-O

OK thanks guys. Why is it so brown? Ones I usually see in that area are light brown or even almost grey in comparison.

Attachments

• 1gardenwarbler2011NL.jpg
    1gardenwarbler2011NL.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 1gardenwarblerfood2.jpg
    1gardenwarblerfood2.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 64
I also see a garden warbler with feathers missing from the base of the bill, bathed in a red light.

Despite it looking unlike a Garden Warbler, that combination of thick bill and really really long primaries rules all other combinations that I can think of out. Digital cameras are good at emphasising russet tones

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back