• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migrations within tropical Asia? (1 Viewer)

Hello birders!

I was wondering whether there are any species that migrate between India and the islands of Indonesia/Malaysia, specifically Borneo and Sumatra.

I'm working on a novel that involves a migration-related plot and am looking desperately for a species (or more) that travel between India and Indonesia. Google has been of little assistance.

Since most Asian migrations happen between temperate summering grounds and tropical wintering regions (Central Asia --> India; China/Japan --> SE Asia), are there any species that go between the tropical regions?

Northern India can get quite hot in the summer, and cold in the winter, and has excessive rain in the monsoon... so I was hoping that there might be some species who escape one of those seasonal changes to the more consistent equatorial climate of Borneo or Sumatra?

Any species or links would be of huge help! Thanks!

Large-billed Reed Warbler Acrocephalus orinus migrates from the Hindu Kush and Pamir mountains across northern India to winter in Thailand - would that work for you? A very rare bird too, very few birders have ever seen one.

Large-billed Reed Warbler Acrocephalus orinus migrates from the Hindu Kush and Pamir mountains across northern India to winter in Thailand - would that work for you? A very rare bird too, very few birders have ever seen one.

Wow, just looked it up... extremely interesting! Huge thanks for pointing this one out, don't know how else I would have been able to find it.

Unfortunately, I'm looking for one that goes further southeast to the islands of Malaysia and Indonesia, particularly Borneo and Sumatra. I guess we know sufficiently little about the large-billed reed warbler to hypothesize that they might reach the islands...

But your response really got me thinking about birds that fly over India on journeys from further northwest (Afghanistan, Iran, maybe even Asia Minor or Europe) down to Borneo and Sumatra. I wonder if you'd know any others like the long-billed reed warbler?

Thanks so much!

Not sure about other species, there could be, just that I don't know myself.

Yes, you could easily use a search for Large-billed Reed Warbler down there: that there's no records yet, doesn't mean they don't get there, as there's only 2 or 3 records yet for Thailand. That leaves wide open the possibility that they are worth searching for further southeast too.

Hi, would think quite a few NE India species make it to to Sumatra on purpose and additional vagrants that normally stop in Thailand occasionally overshoot.

Square-tailed Drongo-Cuckoo, Indian Pond Heron, Himalayan Swiftlet would be fine for Sumatra. Suspect harder to find examples that go to Borneo.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back