• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of prey Cornwall - Kite? (1 Viewer)

Hi

I used to travel the M40 a lot so used to seeing the Red Kites there - seen this one a couple of times but first time I've been able to get a photo. Looks very similar to the Wycombe kites but darker in colour, but didn't think their range extended this far down.
Was being mobbed by crows at the time.

Attachments

• bird7.jpg
    bird7.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 198
  • bird6.jpg
    bird6.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 106
  • bird5.jpg
    bird5.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 122
Hi

I used to travel the M40 a lot so used to seeing the Red Kites there - seen this one a couple of times but first time I've been able to get a photo. Looks very similar to the Wycombe kites but darker in colour, but didn't think their range extended this far down.
Was being mobbed by crows at the time.

They look bang-on for Red Kites, the forked tail is the best id clue.

Hi Andy

Indeed you have a Red Kite (a Black Kite has broader hands and tail does not appear forked when fanned). They are spreading slowly South/West I believe.

Welcome to BF btw.

EDIT: cross post with Paul - ''They''? Paul, I can only see one!!!

Hi Andy,
Red Kites have been seen throughout Cornwall recently, some are now probably semi-resident. When and where did you see this bird, so that I can add it to the CBWPS database.

Good Birding,

Derek. (Editor of Birds in Cornwall).

Red Kite sighting

Hi Derek - photos were taken yesterday, early afternoon, but I've seen the bird, or another, 2 or 3 times since Easter. Location is about 1 mile inland from Widemouth Bay

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Please could you send me your full name, via a personal message, for the records. The dates for the other sightings would also be useful.

Thanks again,

Derek.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back