• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

fz38, new version (1 Viewer)

loranfrfr

Seems that there will be a new version of the fz28 in september, called -not totally surprinsingly- fz 38. Same Leica lens, but higher definition sensor (12.1 instead of 10 mp), and an improved stabilization system.

Does not seem to justify the upgrade, but prospective buyers might want to wait a few weeks for the new version. Or for the fz28 prices to drop a few bucks.

Laurent (happy owner of a brand new fz28)

http://huronriverbirding.blogspot.com/

Seems that there will be a new version of the fz28 in september, called -not totally surprinsingly- fz 38. Same Leica lens, but higher definition sensor (12.1 instead of 10 mp), and an improved stabilization system.

Does not seem to justify the upgrade, but prospective buyers might want to wait a few weeks for the new version. Or for the fz28 prices to drop a few bucks.

Laurent (happy owner of a brand new fz28)

http://huronriverbirding.blogspot.com/

If they improve on the electronic viewfinder and on the reaction/delay time between shots, it might really be worth to change. The higher MPs are rather unnecessary. Strange that they call the model FZ-35 in the US, but 38 elsewhere. We have had this before, in the analog era. Just confusing.

Last edited:
I read a review stating that the speed of the autofocus (also in dark conditions) and the detail-conservation of the noise correction were both improved. If that is true and the images really are as good as advertised, then the EV might be liveable; however, I am not holding my breath and still happy with my FZ18 ;)

Niels

My fz-18 is maybe my most important field item, I really really like it. So small and light weight and yet so much capability. Nice to see it being improved, if it is.

I wish Panasonic would increase the optical zoom to at least 20s in this new camera...Nevertheless, it would be another year or two before I part with my buddy FZ18.

I wish Panasonic would increase the optical zoom to at least 20s in this new camera...Nevertheless, it would be another year or two before I part with my buddy FZ18.

I would qualify that: only if the added zoom could be done without loosing image quality.

Niels

Even now, contrast is not really that good at the high end. So I prefer the present lens unless they could really improve on that contrast issue as well. Any longer lens would most likely mean a trade off in quality somewhere.

So improvements on the software front seem more promising and desirable. I had a hard time getting that autofocus to work reliably and without losing the object at a recent airshow. There was just some haze and a mostly white sky background. I finally gave up trying to take videos with my FZ28.

camera is already available

Even now, contrast is not really that good at the high end. .....So improvements on the software front seem more promising and desirable. ......

I had not expected this early arrival, but apparently, it is already in some shops. And the reviews suggest that there really have been some noticeable software improvements. Check the dpreview site forum mentioned earlier, with links to other reviews given there. The LCD is also said to have considerably wider viewing angles now.

So I'm VERY tempted, with the idea to then sell my present FZ28. I'll definitely keep the FZ8 though, as that is the last of the more compact ones with the much more convenient EVF.

By the way, my first Panasonic batteries are about to go, they can't be fully charged anymore. And the new ones are rated a bit lower.

Last edited:
Did you buy it and like it?

I had not expected this early arrival, but apparently, it is already in some shops. And the reviews suggest that there really have been some noticeable software improvements. Check the dpreview site forum mentioned earlier, with links to other reviews given there. The LCD is also said to have considerably wider viewing angles now.

So I'm VERY tempted, with the idea to then sell my present FZ28. I'll definitely keep the FZ8 though, as that is the last of the more compact ones with the much more convenient EVF.

By the way, my first Panasonic batteries are about to go, they can't be fully charged anymore. And the new ones are rated a bit lower.

Did you buy it and like it?

Yes, I did. There is another thread where I wrote about my initial complaints. Those were mainly concerning the video function. Meanwhile much of that could be solved. The only remaining gripe is the smear of bright light sources. That was already a problem in FZ28 videos, but it is worse in the FZ35/38. But overall, it is definitely a fine improvement over the FZ28. I mostly still use my FZ8 for stills, though.

Just bought myself one of these for crimbo taking a while to get use to it what programs do people use to convert the movie format windows does no seem to recognise it i think its mlt ?but not sure can anyone help B :)

Just bought myself one of these for crimbo taking a while to get use to it what programs do people use to convert the movie format windows does no seem to recognise it i think its mlt ?but not sure can anyone help B :)

I am using the motion jpeg mode, not the AVCHD. That way, it works fine on the computer via quicktime. As I don't have a TV, it's the better solution anyway in my case. However, I recently ran into problems when my Windows XP got some automatic updates. After I reverted to the earlier version without those updates, things got back to normal. I have now stopped the automatic updates, but I'm not sure how long I can maintain that.

I am using the motion jpeg mode, not the AVCHD. That way, it works fine on the computer via quicktime. As I don't have a TV, it's the better solution anyway in my case. However, I recently ran into problems when my Windows XP got some automatic updates. After I reverted to the earlier version without those updates, things got back to normal. I have now stopped the automatic updates, but I'm not sure how long I can maintain that.

You may want to check for an update to your quicktime which will work together with the windows updates ...

Niels

You may want to check for an update to your quicktime which will work together with the windows updates ...

Niels

Thanks Niels, I may do that. But it's always a bother having to adjust things when you have something that works to your satisfaction. Particularly since a computer is just a tool and not a hobby for me, meaning I get to the limits real fast.

Thanks Niels, I may do that. But it's always a bother having to adjust things when you have something that works to your satisfaction. Particularly since a computer is just a tool and not a hobby for me, meaning I get to the limits real fast.

I am with you on that one. It seems my quicktime installation does include an automatic check for updates, at least it did come up and told me there was one the other day.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back