• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viking AV 66 ED S Angled Spotting Scope (1 Viewer)

Hi folks this is my first post.

Am looking for a scope and have come across a Viking AV 66 ED S scope with zoom eye piece 16.5 - 50 and 25x standard eye piece. Current price is £250 for the lot incl tripod and case. Darn sure this will go up in price.

Any advise as to whether this is a good one for a newbie.

Hi,

Is the RSBP scope package? If so i have been looking at the same packages - my firts scope also.

I am wondering the same myself!

Viking provide the optics for RSPB presumably from a variety of sources in China and Japan but that doesn't mean the Viking badged line has the same models as the RSPB one.
http://www.vikingoptical.co.uk/the-rspb/
The RSPB AG60 scope package looks a bit like the package the OP asked advice on but would not be expected to be as good. The Viking model has a bigger objective (66mm), ED glass to aid colour correction, two eyepieces (a zoom and a wide angle fixed which the RSPB one may not be) and likely a better tripod (a Viking model which looks very like the Slik D3 Master classic).
Getting a well matched complete package is certainly a very convenient way to get a first scope (choosing a tripod tends to be particularly tiresome |:D| ) Also it can be the economic way to do things particularly if you can find used.
If you're interested in trying out a few scopes maybe a visit to Abberton Reservoir on an optics day would be useful :
http://www.essexwt.org.uk/eventsactivities/abberton_reservoir_visitor_centre_events/

Hi folks this is my first post.

Am looking for a scope and have come across a Viking AV 66 ED S scope with zoom eye piece 16.5 - 50 and 25x standard eye piece. Current price is £250 for the lot incl tripod and case. Darn sure this will go up in price.

Any advise as to whether this is a good one for a newbie.

Snap their hand off!
Really good scope and for that money excellent value.
You really won't be disappointed :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back