• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alu tripod for 600 F4 (1 Viewer)

Robert_Scanlon

Anyone have any suggestions for a stopgap aluminium tripod for a 600mm F4 lens?

I don't really want to stretch to a nice CF Gitzo at the moment as the outlay for the lens / camera makes things a bit tight, though hopefully I will within the next 12 months or so.Just need something reliable, cheap and preferably not too heavy for the time being. I am 5'10'', and would like not to have to use a centre column for the viewfinder to be at eye level mounted on a Manfrotto 503 video head.

Thanks in advance.

Incidentally, I used to have a Gitzo CF1325...anyone know what the equivalent model is in their range these days?

Last edited:
It's very foolhardy getting a tripod that does not compliment what this lens is capable of not just from a sharpness standpoint ....... I well remember Adrian Webb's 600mm spearing through his 20D and pushing the sensor and view-screen out of the camera back and then breaking across the filter drawer... before it was insured, because it was on an unsuitable (crap) tripod.

Anyone have any suggestions for a stopgap aluminium tripod for a 600mm F4 lens?

I don't really want to stretch to a nice CF Gitzo at the moment as the outlay for the lens / camera makes things a bit tight, though hopefully I will within the next 12 months or so.Just need something reliable, cheap and preferably not too heavy for the time being. I am 5'10'', and would like not to have to use a centre column for the viewfinder to be at eye level mounted on a Manfrotto 503 video head.

Thanks in advance.

Incidentally, I used to have a Gitzo CF1325...anyone know what the equivalent model is in their range these days?
Check out the Redsnapper one's on Ebay, VERY well made in the same league as Giottos for around £60.00! I got one last year and its a corker (no chance of it collapsing etc)
Cheers
Brian
ps don't be put off by the Redsnapper name you would be very impressed if you saw one
http://www1.clikpic.com/Redsnapper/gallery_103792.html

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't trust a lens like this on a cheap, unknown tripod... a cheap lightweight aluminium tripod that's up to the job just doesn't exist. You'd probably be ok with a big Manfrotto video tripod, but even something like an 055 isn't really up to the job. Given the risk of a cheap tripod failing under the weight of your set up it really could be a false economy.

Nigel is quite right of course, and if using a large, quality lens like a 600/4 then there is unfortunatley no alternative but to use a quality tripod. I have a Gitzo 1340 which is a metal tripod for my 500/4. It may be a heavy set up but it won't move and I know that my lens is securely fixed on to the Wimberely

Last edited:
You can't even buy a filter for the 600/4 for £60. If you have spent over Five Grand (£5000 UK) on a quality lens why on earth would you want to fix to a crappy tripod
ooooppps didn't realise the lense are £5000, in that case i wouldn't even take it outside the house!
Don't know why you call the Redsnapper Crap though? Have you ever seen one in the flesh (alloy)? they may be cheap but no way could you call them crap they will easily support very heavy cameras/lenses etc (i have used mine with my very large Canon vidieo camera set up without a flinch. High prices don't mean best quality, look at Aston Martins they break down more than Skoda Fabias but quite a bit more expensive?
Ah well I'm more than happy with my Redsnapper, I'd rather spend my money on my Harley custom trike and Hayabusa.
Cheerio
Brian

You can't even buy a filter for the 600/4 for £60. If you have spent over Five Grand (£5000 UK) on a quality lens why on earth would you want to fix to a crappy tripod

But I wouldn't put a £60 filter on a quality lens either, spend the £60 on insurance and have front element replaced if damaged!

That Redsnapper is no way up to the job of holding big glass. end of story!

But I wouldn't put a £60 filter on a quality lens either, spend the £60 on insurance and have front element replaced if damaged!

Neither would I Nigel, I was just making a point that you don't spend that much on that lens and ponce about with cheap accesories.

Any way as you well know the filters are inserted near the rear element 8-P

I think you can get a cheapish aluminium tripod that will do the job, but it will be heavy. Take a look at surveyers tripods. You might also want to look at telescope tripods, from Celestron and Meade. These are designed to provide a rigid support for an instrument working at x200 and higher when taking photographs. But they will weigh 4-5kg or more. I used to have a TV camera trolley/tripod that was so heavy that you could barely lift it.

From what I have seen a lot of the money on the good tripods goes on reducing weight without unduly sacrificing regidity and that includes using exotic materials such as carbon fibre. You can decide whether or not osteapath bills will outweigh savings on a cheaper tripod.

Neither would I Nigel, I was just making a point that you don't spend that much on that lens and ponce about with cheap accesories.

The Gitzo 1350 and the Redsnapper TRI 283 both hold 10kg? so why is one better? I totally agree about not risking your expensive camera's/lenses on flimsy tripods but there's no way the Redsnappers are more flimsy than the Gitzo's, my father in law has one so i have actually used both. I did expect the finish/build quality to be on a par with the Indian Gimbal copies when i ordered mine but was pleasantly suprised when it arrived including a quality case/strap.
Cheers
Brian

Last edited:
The Gitzo 1350 and the Redsnapper TRI 283 both hold 10kg? so why is one better? I totally agree about not risking your expensive camera's/lenses on flimsy tripods but there's no way the Redsnappers are more flimsy than the Gitzo's, my father in law has one so i have actually used both.

If the redsnappers really are up to the standard of a Gitzo I'd be surprised (and very impressed) and I'd be ordering a few of them. I have used a number of different tripods over the years from Velbon, Manfrotto and Benbo however none of them can compare to my Gitzo for stability. The Manfrottos are fine for birding and I love using the Benbo from macro and product shots but with a long lens it's got to be the Gitzo.

Indeed they are on the 500 and 600mm, but the reason I put "quality" as opposed to a specific lens was to make the point that it, like a "jelly-on-springs" tripod, is defeating the object (pun intended) of using high-end glass.
That aside I frequently get e-mails fom people asking where they can get filters for the front element of 5/600mm lenses. ;)

Cheers for the replies all. I think I will look into the Redsnapper one. If the worst comes to the worst I can always use it for my scope. I know the benefits of a decent CF tripod, but needs must for the time being.

Hi Robert, my first "real" tripod was a Gitzo 411 which is a series 4 and the next step up from the 1325 which I also have. It is aluminum and very stout. And unfortunately, stout aluminum tripods that are satisfactory for a 600mm lens are somewhat heavy. You might be able to find a used series 3 or 4 aluminum Gitzo that will work for now, then sell it when you are ready to buy a CF tripod.

I've decided to go for one of the Benro CF ones, a bit more than my original budget at £200 inc P+P, but it is 2.2kg and rated to carry 10kg, so it's pretty light and hopefully will do the job well.

Well, just got the Benro tripod from China, and initial impressions are very favourable. I had a Gitzo CF1325 before, so I do have a point of reference for this, and I was expecting it to come up short a bit to be honest, but it looks very good indeed...albeit obviously "inspired" by the same brand. Will need to use it in the field for a bit to give a reasonable assessment, but it will clearly take my 600mm lens without a problem, as it has just taken most of my bodyweight without breaking and without the leg locks slipping. 11 days from order to delivery, so that's not bad either.

I do have certain misgivings about the whole idea, but not enough to make me cough up an extra £300 for the original version.

With my early Nikon 600mm, I used a Manfrotto 055 pro and 136 video head to good effect for many years. I eventually switched to a Gitzo/Wimberley but still have the Manfrotto as a spare.

Well, just got the Benro tripod from China, and initial impressions are very favourable. I had a Gitzo CF1325 before, so I do have a point of reference for this, and I was expecting it to come up short a bit to be honest, but it looks very good indeed...albeit obviously "inspired" by the same brand.

Having recently bought a Gitzo, I was surprised to find what look like steel bolts and washers. Is there really a good engineering reason for not using stainless or chromed brass, or is this a cost saving measure on a very expensive product?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back