• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod & Head help. (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, I have just bought my first prime lens, the Sigma 500mm f4.5 & apart from a monopod that I have I need a tripod & head. I am 6 foot 4, I would appreciate your help with this, I dont have a clue which one to get. The sigma lens is heavy so would need a head which can be tightened so Its solid stiff & wont budge or slowly start drooping when Im about to take my shot, I have also seen a tripod which can have the legs spread so you can get low to the ground, also do I get a ball head, joystick head or a pan head. I will be using It for birds/wildlife..

Regards
Sean...

i think im going to get the VELBON CF-635 PRO SHERPA, but now I need a sturdy, strong head & one thats solid when tightened up, but which one..

Sean

Sean,

I think that you may well exceed the maximum weight load for that tripod with lens, camera and head etc !!!

Max load is 5Kg for the Sherpa..

Mick..

yes youre probably right, Im having a right problem trying to get the correct tripod/head here, I am after one that can spread the legs & also one that will be tall enough for me (I'm 6'4") & ive been given advice about not getting a ball head, so what exactly do I need?, I dont really know.. At the moment i am using a Monopod which seems to be a waste of time as I keep moving the monopod in a circular motion when looking through the viewfinder & when I eventually get a tripod I dont think I want one where Ive got to fiddle about unlocking everything. Am I asking too much?

Sean..

With a lens like that I would definitely go for a Gimbal head (I use a Jobu which is superb but there are others). As for a tripod you need something that is light and strong, I would suggest a Carbon Fiber job with max load around 10Kg or more - take a look at the Feisol range. I would highly recommend the CT3372.
A lens like you have deserves a good tripod and head and I would advise against buying something cheap and cheerful.

Last edited:
yes youre probably right, Im having a right problem trying to get the correct tripod/head here, I am after one that can spread the legs & also one that will be tall enough for me (I'm 6'4") & ive been given advice about not getting a ball head, so what exactly do I need?, I dont really know.. At the moment i am using a Monopod which seems to be a waste of time as I keep moving the monopod in a circular motion when looking through the viewfinder & when I eventually get a tripod I dont think I want one where Ive got to fiddle about unlocking everything. Am I asking too much?

Sean..

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy...od-with-safe-lock-plate-long-version/p1026504

Would this work with a Wimberley?
Although together would set you back nearly a grand.
But then you don't want to go with anything that will compromise your photography.

Gaz

hi Gaz, I dont know yet. Ive been checking out the FEISOL range that Roy recommended & they look pretty good to me, Im just c hecking out which Gimbal head to go with It. The tripod I am checking out is the CT3372..

SEAN.

hi roy is the Jobu the BWG-PRO that you have on the CT3372.

Sean.
Sean, I have the Jobu Jr but although it would take the weight of your lens you would be better of with the next model up. Have a look at THIS.
BTW a lot of users rate the Feisol as good as the Gitzo at around 75% of the cost - I know of several users who use the CT3372 with the Canon 600mm f4 and they are more than pleased with it.

Last edited:
hi, I will go for the BLACK WIDOW HEAVY DUTY MARK II & the FEISOL CT3372 carbon fibre tripod, which should be a very good setup... Just need to start saving my pennies now. Thanks guys for your info, I didnt know these existed, I thought that Manfrotto were the bees knees in tripods until now.

sean.

As for your problem with holding the monopod steady, I had the same issue trying to use mine with the 500mm. I found a web page with some technique tips which helped, http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo5.php3. Another page of similar tips is here - http://www.nikonians.org/monopods/what_monopod_3.html
I find the style of putting the monopod foot next to my instep and leaning my leg against the monopod helps a lot (3rd and 4th techniques on the web page above). Certainly better than having it waving in circles at the end of both arms, which made me feel like some kind of drunken spastic. Hope this help you.

Have a read of the Indian Gimbal thread. You can pick one of them up on Ebay for just over £100. You could use that while you save the pennies for the Black Widow, then sell the Indianly for £75ish. That gives you a pretty servicable head while you wait for minimal outlay.

Another vote for the Jobu BW-LW - exceptionally good bit of kit, and good value. This has a side mount so the lens needs a rotating collar- ok for your sigma. I also have the horizontal mount for this which turns it into the HW version. This makes the lenses easier to mount, but I think it introduces slightly more play into the setup, so no longer use it. With my 400mm DO and 500mm F4 the rig is rock solid and as smooth as silk. If you have the cash go for a Gitzo (3 section systematic) or a Fiesel. I have a Velbon CF-635 Sherpa pro which is ok for a scope and for travel when space is at a premium, but not in the same league as the Gitzo I use for photography.

Regards
Mike.

Sean,

might be worth a look at the set up I use for heavy lenses - the Manfrotto 475B tripod (max load 12kg!) and the Manfrotto 393 head - if it's good enough for Romy Ocon it's good enough for me - both together come in at a very reasonable £285 + p&p from WarehouseExpress, and when fully extended stands well over 6' at the head - with the geared center column I reckon it will extend to around 7 feet if necessary! Well worth a look if you haven't already made up your mind.

Cheers

Geedub

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back