• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using a Monopod with Gimble Head (1 Viewer)

RoyH

Hi all, any member used a Gimble Head attached to a monopod ? I wish to fit a Canon 300f2.8 to this combo for motosport photography. At the moment I am using a ball head.

I am thinking of purchasing a head to use with a monopod...any comments please.

Regards

Roy.

www.royhowell.co.uk

Hi Roy - I've moved this thread over to the photographic section as I think you'll get more response over here. I've not tried it myself but I know that Roy C has just got the 300 f2.8 and have been trying it on a monopod with a gimbal.

Yep, I tried the 300/2.8 with a Jobu Gimbal and monopod and it worked well. Only drawback I found was when carry the combo over the shoulder was a bit cumbersome, in that you have to make sure the 'U' bend side was facing away from your head, you have to walk with the lens facing forward when on your left shoulder but if you change shoulders then the lens would have to be facing backwards. You also have to make sure that everything is locked before putting on the shoulder or else the gimbal could smack you in the head.

Hi Roy
Many thanks for your comments, also thank you to you Postcardcv. Roy, which model Jobo are you using ?. don't think I will be doing much walking while out birding I mostly prefer fixed location...same when at Cadwell Park racing but many thanks for sharing your method of carrying....not getting any younger so I don't consider that lens a walk about piece of kit. I was at Cadwell BSB I used a golf trolly to carry my gear...I sure had some funny looks but it did a good job.
Regards
Roy.

Hi Roy
Many thanks for your comments, also thank you to you Postcardcv. Roy, which model Jobo are you using ?. don't think I will be doing much walking while out birding I mostly prefer fixed location...same when at Cadwell Park racing but many thanks for sharing your method of carrying....not getting any younger so I don't consider that lens a walk about piece of kit. I was at Cadwell BSB I used a golf trolly to carry my gear...I sure had some funny looks but it did a good job.
Regards
Roy.
Roy, I tried it out with a Jobu Jr (which I was using with my 400/5.6) but I have just ordered a Jobu Design BWG-HD2 for the 300/2.8 (will mostly use with a Tripod).

Re the Golf trolley - I have often thought about something like this as much of my birding is done along a tarmac trail BUT after reading about a few horror stories where this method of transport has buggered up the lens I decided against it (apparently the vibrations damaged the IS.) I still reckon it could be done but you would need something with a very good suspension.

Last edited:
Roy, further to my last post I forgot to mention that I tried it with the Jobu in full Gimbal mode and not in the sidekick mode.

Another thing that I have just thought about is the Manfrotto 393 Gimbal head which most people use with a tripod but it is actually marketed by Manfrotto as a Monopod head.

Roy,
Yes I was concerned about possible vibration damage..only used it the once I was mostly on grass but I don't think I would try that again because to whole idea was not balanced anyway. Normally at Cadwell you can run around the outside of the track by car..BSB meetings being the exception...its a mad house only permit holders are allowed. Not sure the price of that BWG-HD2 the one I was looking at cost around £200 plus the plate cost. Maybe should I go for the more expensive model..not ready yet...just tyre kicking at the moment.

Thanks again.

Roy

Postcardcv
Thanks for sharing your experiences...I was thinking the BWG-J2K plus NX2 plate would hold my 300f2.8...would I need a 3/8 thread on my m/pod..the one I use has a 1/4 thread. Seem to think my friend GYRob had to fit a 3/8 stud to his m/pod.
At the moment I am just putting feelers out for comments I am not ready for purchasing yet...so prices may have changed by the time I am ready, I like to do lots of ground work before I buy.

Roy.

Postcardcv
Thanks for sharing your experiences...I was thinking the BWG-J2K plus NX2 plate would hold my 300f2.8...
Roy.
I assume you mean the Jobu Jr 2. Although this head will support the weight of the 300/2.8 it is not recommended for this lens - the BWG-LW or HD is what you want. The NX2 plate is fine.
I was using a Jobu Jr 2 with my 400/5.6 and it was great but after getting the 300/2.8 a few weeks ago I have upgraded to the BWG-HD2.

Either way you will need a 3/8" stud on your pod, not sure what pod you have but on my Manfrotto it has a dual size thread - 3/8" and 1/4"

Last edited:
Roy, Thanks for that good advise, its better I spend that bit more when I do decide, you cannot beat hands on experience...thanks again.
Not sure what model Manfrotto mine is but its a 1/4 thread so it looks like I need to upgrade that....the expense is rising.

Roy.

Not sure what model Manfrotto mine is but its a 1/4 thread so it looks like I need to upgrade that....the expense is rising.

Roy.

Most Manfrotto monopods have a 1/4 thread with a retractable 3/8 thread around it - if yours is just a 1/4 thread then you just need a small adapter (~£1) to allow you to attach a head.

I know this isn't the main topic of this thread, but wanted to speak to RoyH's comment about the golf trolley for hauling his equipment. I don't know if you guys have fishing carts like this over there across the big pond on the great island of magic and mist, but the surf fishermen use them here on the coast. Check out this article - http://naturephotography.fredhurteau.com/EquipmentCart.htm

I don't suppose you'd need to dress it up with camoflage, but the point is that it's roomy and has fat inflatable tires that you can run very low on air and make a soft cushy ride. Might be a practicle solution. You could even rig it up with a seat pad on one end and use it to rest your bum too.

Last edited:
I know this isn't the main topic of this thread, but wanted to speak to RoyH's comment about the golf trolley for hauling his equipment. I don't know if you guys have fishing carts like this over there across the big pond on the great island of magic and mist, but the surf fishermen use them here on the coast. Check out this article - http://naturephotography.fredhurteau.com/EquipmentCart.htm

I don't suppose you'd need to dress it up with camoflage, but the point is that it's roomy and has fat inflatable tires that you can run very low on air and make a soft cushy ride. Might be a practicle solution. You could even rig it up with a seat pad on one end and use it to rest your bum too.
Hi Fred
Thanks for your comments, using that golf trolly was just a one off for that day. The British Superbike event at our local Cadwell Park race track is big annual event 40,000 visitors plus. Normally I can drive around track outside in my car but you have to leg it on BSB day. The trolly was most helpful but I was concerned about the vibration so I don't think I would do that again. That cart looks a good option but as a rule I don't do much walking.
Many thanks to all for your response to my thread.
Regards
Roy.

Most Manfrotto monopods have a 1/4 thread with a retractable 3/8 thread around it - if yours is just a 1/4 thread then you just need a small adapter (~£1) to allow you to attach a head.

Whoops: I discovered that my Manfrotto m/pond had dual threads, had that pod for 5 years, never noticed until I removed it from the ball head.

Regards

Roy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back