• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loosing rubber feet from Gitzo tripods (1 Viewer)

Oh dear, and isn't Manfrotto now also under the Gitzo umbrella? When Manfrotto were independent I requested a replacement screw for a head and it was sent by return of post.

Actually not. Both were bought over by Vitec Group Plc which is a British company. Manfrotto was acquired in 1989 and Gitzo in 1992... :news:

Have just found this thread. This issue is well known to exist in the Systematic x6 series and is well documented. I certainly knew of it before I purchased mine (3541LS). I always use Loctite 243 (blue) on the feet of my Gitzos of which I have three and fully agree with the poster called Den when he states - "no lost feet so far."

The spare part number for the feet is: D0609.01

Amazingly out of nowhere and with no letter or explanation two feet arrived a couple of weeks back from an address in Southern England that I took to be the importer.
Miracles do happen

Amazingly out of nowhere and with no letter or explanation two feet arrived a couple of weeks back from an address in Southern England that I took to be the importer.
Miracles do happen

Interesting thread, Graham - certainly enough to put me off buying any of their kit!

One more thing that you may find useful if you have to go through the same painful process again (heaven forbid).... If you speak to someone in person while struggling to get anywhere, try mentioning that you will of course be documenting their customer service on a public forum with over x thousand active users and many potential customers, and perhaps on your blog with however many hits per week, and anywhere else you can think of. No need to threaten to hype it up or exaggerate, just say that you will state the facts whether good or bad. I gather this type of approach often works wonders... may as well try to leverage the power of the internet ;)

Oh dear, having recently bought a Gitzo 1548, it looks as if I ought to get the glue out - that is if I haven't already lost a foot without noticing... I'm not sure whether I'm pleased to have found this thread or not.

I am in the market for a new tripod later in the year and this has certainly put me off Gitzo, I will be looking hard at whats on show at the Bird Fair this year.

Kev

just seen this thread late and cant be aresed reading all the posts (sorry!).

Whenever I get a new tripod I pull the rubber feet - if they come off (which they usually do) then I nip down the market and buy three walking stick 'feet' which work a treat! Never let me down yet. And 50p each.

I have only used my Gitzo systematic tripod a few times and was a bit annoyed to see one of the feet had fallen off and was lost forever somewhere at Potteric Carr. Well bad luck I thought, well uintil I spoke to Graham Catley, who has a similarly aged tripod and he has lost a foot too. Has anyone else had this problem on a recently purchased Gitzo or is it just us? They aint cheap! and I contacted Gitzo for feedback on how to avoid this, although they state they respond to all emails within 24 hrs i have not recieved anything other than their automated acknowledgment email to my enquiries although its been a couple of weeks now!

Kev
I just contacted Bogen about a lost Gitzo tripod foot, and they will be sending me one free under warranty. Good service all around, although it did take a day or two for them to respond to my first e-mail. Very satisfied, however.

Although I haven't lost a foot off my Gitzo tripod yet I did loose the foot off my Gitzo monopod in less than two months! I think I'll get some loctite this weekend.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back