• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gimbal Head Recommendations Please (1 Viewer)

Does Mongoose still make the 2.3 ? Can't seem to locate anything about it. The manufactures web site does not show it.
Thanks
Robin

Arthur Morris has been pushing the 2.3 Mongoose for use with smaller lenses - I thought I was going to get one. However, in a recent blog post, Arthur says that they have stopped making the 2.3. In addition, Mongoose has removed the 2.3 from their website.

Greg

Thanks Greg and thanks for this thread. Having waded through the vast number of choices concerning heads etc, and having lurked here for months I had decided this would have been a perfect solution for a 100-400mm Canon and a big scope.
Too bad.:-C

Thanks Greg and thanks for this thread. Having waded through the vast number of choices concerning heads etc, and having lurked here for months I had decided this would have been a perfect solution for a 100-400mm Canon and a big scope.
Too bad.:-C
Robin, Have you looked at the Canadian made Jobu Jr? it is ideal for the 100-400. You can get it in Sidemount or full Gimbal mode. More info HERE. I had one which I used with the 400/5.6 and it was superb for lenses of this size/weight.

I think I will.............I'll eventually be getting a prime (500mm probably) and was hoping one gimbal head would do for everything but the concensus seems to be a full size Wimberly/Black Widow etc will not work effectively on a smaller lens like the 100-400mm and the smaller ones are, well, smaller.
Thanks again
Robin

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back