• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron discovery wp pc 8x32 vs Viking navilux 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Jamie D

I am thinking of buying one of the above two to leave in the car and for general birding while out walking to dog. I would therefore welcome comments from anyone who has compared them and especially the Opticron as I cant find any reviews of them

I am thinking of buying one of the above two to leave in the car and for general birding while out walking to dog. I would therefore welcome comments from anyone who has compared them and especially the Opticron as I cant find any reviews of them

i do all my birding with the 8x42 discoveries, and compared them extensively with everything in their price bracket, the only other pair which compared with them were the navilux and to be honest i couldn't really tell much difference in the view between them, though i slightly preferred the opticron. i also tried the discovery 8x 32 and they weren't much different to the 42s in good light

you won't get anything better for the price and the step up to the next bracket is a couple of hundred quid for not much optical improvement

I, too, would be very interested in reading some reviews or owners' feedback on the Discoveries or, better still, trying a pair some time myself. The specs look perfect for a small binocular: good FOV, decent eye relief, very close focus, sensible IPD, low weight and compact dimensions (but big enough to be usable). All that at a very reasonable price.

Ron

Sorry to open this up again, but how have your Opticron Discovery WP 8X32s worked out over the years?
I'm debating as to whether I should send them back to Amazon because the focus wheel is a bit stiff and sticky, but worse than that I seem to have got a bad one because the view around the centre is quite unfocused which goes against the quality of this bin and what was said in the BBR review that rated it highly.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back