• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A day full of birds. (1 Viewer)

black crow

I really wasn't birding today and I'm not much of a birder but I do hike everyday with dogs and binoculars and I really did see some birds. Up on a trail I came to an area about a half city block in size that was mostly Madrone trees full of red berries. In those trees and on the ground was maybe 100-150 Robins and maybe a couple of dozen Cedar Waxwings all going crazy on those berries. The berries were dropping to the ground like hail and every dozen steps I would kick up 6 to a dozen Robins on the ground while the rest were flying just above my head from tree to tree. It was intensely fun. Even my little white Italian Greyhound/Chihuahua mix was eating those berries.

Once I passed that area that was it but the birding was not quite done. I occasionally see a Pileated Woodpecker in that area but today I saw two of them and heard a third that I couldn't see. I was using 10x32 bins and I got right to the base of one of the huge snags that one was hammering on and got a very nice close look at him working on a fairly large hole near the top.

That was exciting. Many days I hike up there and barely see one or two little Sparrow type birds.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back