• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tripod head (1 Viewer)

Regarding Ball-heads and supports...

The Arca-Swiss Ballheads are still excellent. A/S did have some issues with ball-lock, but the more recent heads seem to have resolved any issues.

On the heads I've purchased recently (2 B1's and a B1g - on which I haven't had any problems) the stated resolution to the issue was to continue tightening the tensioning knob past the full tension position...the tensioner should then release and operate as normal.

As to Wimberley, their kit is excellent. The Sidekick is more than capable of taking the Canon 500/4IS. I do know of some who use it with a 600/4...but that IS over the Sidekick's design spec in terms of weight. For photog's who shoot on the Dark Side ;) you can replace the tall lens tripod foot with a specially designed shorter foot to allow the centre of gravity to remain over the ball-head.

George mentioned that A/S don't make plates to suite the different lenses....RRS make a decent set, and Wimberley also make a good set. The Wimberley ones have anti-twist nubs to stop the lenses twisting off the plate, and they also have two small bolts which help stop the lens sliding out of the clamp and smahing on the floor (easy to do when balancing or adjusting the rig). The Wimberley plates also have a double dovetail to allow a flash bracket to be fitted in any position.

Despite what some people think about fluid heads being better, I would heartily recommend using a Sidekick or Full-Wimberley...they're brilliant...even for Macro and Flower photography.

Cheers

I own the EF 500 IS and I want a more matching Head for my tripod. Is the extra money worth spending for the B1g or is the klassic B1e enough?

Weight and size is no problem..

Best/Niclas,

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back