• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Elites (1 Viewer)

snowyowl

I'm thinking of getting a new pair of 8x40 binos and at the moment the leading candidate are the Bushnell Elites. Has anyone any experience with them that they would share?
The reason for my choice is that I want the best possible that I can afford. I expect to pay about $1000 C.
I will have to order them by mail so I could really use whatever info. I can get. I wear glasses so I'm particularly concerned about eye relief.
I'm hoping to get them before the Christmas bird counts so I'll probably make my decision today or tomorrow.
Thanks!

I own a pair of the Bushnell Elite 8x42s and can highly reccomend them - both optically, ease of handling and the fact that they are waterproof (vital in England!) represent a considerable step up from the Swift Audobon 8.5 x 44s I had previously.

I can think of no real drawbacks and they serve me perfectly - however I have also had cause to use a pair of Leica 7x42s recently and thought they had a definate edge optically - if the prices are comparable definately worth a look.

I have no experience of the Swarovski or Nikons that are both very popular here in the UK

snowyowl said:
I'm thinking of getting a new pair of 8x40 binos and at the moment the leading candidate are the Bushnell Elites. Has anyone any experience with them that they would share?
The reason for my choice is that I want the best possible that I can afford. I expect to pay about $1000 C.
I will have to order them by mail so I could really use whatever info. I can get. I wear glasses so I'm particularly concerned about eye relief.
I'm hoping to get them before the Christmas bird counts so I'll probably make my decision today or tomorrow.
Thanks!

Do you mean the Bausch & Lomb Elite roof prism bins? I have never used them in anger but FWIW they got a modest write up in the recent Bird Watching magazine review. For not much more (in the UK) you could get a Zeiss Victory or a Leica BN. Both have excellent eye relief. The Nikon 8x32 SE is as bright and sharp as the Leica 8x42 BN, but not waterproof, rubber eye tubes and a smaller exit pupil. I'm sure someone'll give you a more informed answer!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the Leica BN's are $500 more than the Elites and since waterproof is a definite requirement when birding along the coast (and I do live on an island) I don't think that the Nikons would work.

I'm happy with my Elite 8X42. Good eye relief, since I wear glasses, and I like the close focus. The waterproof feature was important to me, too. I'd buy them again if I had too.
Tweety

snowyowl said:
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the Leica BN's are $500 more than the Elites and since waterproof is a definite requirement when birding along the coast (and I do live on an island) I don't think that the Nikons would work.
Hello Dan, check out the Mountain Equipment Co-op website for excellent pricing and selection on Nikon, Bausch Lomb, etc, also their own brand which is made in Japan and very well priced, Raptor.

have you considered Nikon 8x32SE

Hi,

Have you considered Nikons 8x32SE? I have used many binos over the years. I have never owned the Bushnell Elites but have used them. Their greatest strenghths are: 1)very close focus, about 5ft., and 2)waterproofing. These are in my opinion the only advantages over the Nikon SE's. But, the SE's have some advantages also: 1) better optics in my opinion, 2) much lower price, about $500 if you shop around, 3)25 year nofault Nikon warranty. I have had mine for several years and they never cease to amaze me. You might try a pair before your final decision.
Ford

I own 10x42 elites and find them excellent. The colour and contrast are very good, the image is bright and sharp and they are lighter than some others of the same ilk, e.g. Leica BN's and Nikon HG's.
I'd be wary of the magazine surveys as they seem to rubbish many models that only a couple of years ago were the 'bees knees', in favour of the latest £1000 'ish models.

Nikon SEs are very good as are Elite 7 x 35 (not mentioned yet) which I nearly bought on many occasions

other underated bins are Zeiss 8x30 - never caught on - strange in light of their very small size and subsequent success of the 8 x 32 Leicas

A lot of the early elites had problems with misting and fogging I remember.......

Tim's mention of Zeiss 8x30's reminded me of this months binocular survey in Birdwatching which brands them as 'weighty and dense' (at 560 grams) as opposed to Swarovski 8x32ELs as 'lightweight and sleek' (at 610 grams).
If you compare the weights this seems confusing, or perhaps the new models just give an 'impression' of lighter weight?..or perhaps it just reinforces my previous reply.
Steve.

You can get great pricing on the Nikon 8x32 Venturers if you order from the US. I have done that often (live in Ontario), and own the 10x32s. Waterproof, very comfortable, sloid, etc. If you like the Elites, you'll love the Venturers.

Steve Jones said:
I'd be wary of the magazine surveys as they seem to rubbish many models that only a couple of years ago were the 'bees knees', in favour of the latest £1000 'ish models.

I checked and Bushnell don't do an Elite so SnowyOwl must mean the B&H Elite.

I see a lot of them around UK nature reserves so they are clearly quite popular. I think Steve is right about fashion.

BTW A good American site is The Sierra Trading Post. They often have very good prices. I think CAN$1000 is about US$750. They have the Zeiss Victory II at US$800 and this is also a good binocular and lighter than the Elite. Not sure about tax though!

Click here for the Sierra Trading Post

PS I have never purchased from the above people so cannot vouch for them.

Leif said:
BTW A good American site is The Sierra Trading Post. They often have very good prices. I think CAN$1000 is about US$750. They have the Zeiss Victory II at US$800 and this is also a good binocular and lighter than the Elite. Not sure about tax though!

PS I have never purchased from the above people so cannot vouch for them.

Sierra Trading Post indeed has good prices, but be sure to read the fine print. The Victory II they offer at $799 is "refurbished."

B&L Elite is very popular in the US. I have seen far more people carrying the Elite than either the Nikon SE or HG. The Elite has good ergonomics, at least for me, but others have told me they thought the design was too extreme for them, and was not comfortable to hold. One acquaintance had an old Elite with rubber eyecups. She loved it, but it was stolen. She ordered a recent version, and its eyecups collapsed constantly, so she sent it back and bought Leica 8x42 BN. I was told that B&L corrected the eyecup problem, but can't say for sure.

I suspect Leif is right that the Zeiss Victory II might be a better all-around glass for little more money. But in any case, you really have got to handle the Elite, and if possible compare it side-by-side with other binoculars, before buying.

I'm sure on a recent thread someone was praising a Norwegian site.

I came across the following this morning (same site I think).

http://www.atest.no/soeker.asp?kategori=568&fane=1

Click on the Bin to get a star rating(if they've tested it) and the test report gives a breakdown. The star rating is value for money I think.

My Norwegian needs brushing up. Any Norwegian on the site care to translate for us?

Steve Jones said:
Tim's mention of Zeiss 8x30's reminded me of this months binocular survey in Birdwatching which brands them as 'weighty and dense' (at 560 grams) as opposed to Swarovski 8x32ELs as 'lightweight and sleek' (at 610 grams).
If you compare the weights this seems confusing, or perhaps the new models just give an 'impression' of lighter weight?..or perhaps it just reinforces my previous reply.
Steve.

Steve. Good point.
Well past posts have shown that binocular reviews do play a part in the decision making when purchasing binoculars, so now thanks to Birdwatching we know that 610 grms is lighter than 560 grms (I know my maths is poor, but....). No problem with the sleek description, surely someone would have checked the article before it went to press, or did they know what, he/she was writing.

Leif said:
I checked and Bushnell don't do an Elite so SnowyOwl must mean the B&H Elite. QUOTE]

You're quite right, of course. I did mean the B&L Elites. I own Bushnell, B&L and Jason optics and since they are all part of Bushnell I tend to lump then together under Bushnell. Bad habit!
I made my decision and ordered the Elites. I ordered them from Pelee Wings becaise I prefer, when possible, to order from Canadian companies.

I've got my new binos and so far I'm very pleased. Christmas counts start this weekend so I'll be giving them a really good workout.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back