• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who needs a gimbal??? (1 Viewer)

Hi Robert,

I think that ordering directly from the US would be the smart thing - I've done it once or twice without problem - but UK import duty and worries about how to deal with problems put some people off ordering more expensive items.

It's a perfectly valid and feasible option though.

I think that ordering directly from the US would be the smart thing - I've done it once or twice without problem - but UK import duty and worries about how to deal with problems put some people off ordering more expensive items.

I've ordered stuff direct from Wimberley and had a trouble free deal. As long as you are prepared to pay the import duty and deal with a reputable outfit sometimes it's the only way.

Well gents, it's here, and my first impressions are (nearly)100% positive. I have the D3 mounted to a Tamron 200-500, each with it's own Acratech Quick release plate. Center of gravity mounting is achieved in this instance by attaching the setup at the lens plate, but just to test the off-center load capability and performance I also tested the set-up with the camera (with lens attached) mounted to the head itself. Once the desired tension has been achieved movement in all planes is smooth and secure, staying put without further adjustment of either the tension or locking knobs. At every point in a near 180 degree range of the tilting plane the assembly held where positioned; a slight push or pull to any number of positions along this axis resulted in steadfast holding after re-positioning. Movement in the panning plane was flawless as well. Of course, you could lock the device in any position should you choose to do so. One nice feature of this head over others is the ability to rotate the angle of the top plate by 90 degrees, thus allowing for a vertical format pan - nice to have that feature for compositional flexibility.

Alas, my one criticism (with almost all gimbal heads) is the inability for lateral (left/right) tilting. To solve the problem of moving in that plane I simply mount the gimbal head (or the Acratech in this case) to a heavy duty ball head. One could achieve leveling by fussing with the leg extensions on the tripod, but I find the "ball head base" to be a more expedient and surefire solution. It would also be nice to have a universal quick release plate design rather than the camera-specific or lens-specific options provided (you'll need a camera plate for any set-up where the lens lacks a tripod-mounting collar, so you're in for the added cost of two plates anyway. And they screw in with a supplied allen wrench, making them essentially "permanently" attached). Apart from that, no further issues worth raising.

The unit is incredibly well built and beautifully engineered. They could easily charge more for it, so it's nice to see one company that does not gouge the consumer.

An impressive tool and a sound investment.

Cheers,
Robert / Seattle

can this head be use for digiscoping ?

Yes, it would be very well suited for that purpose. Easy to track your subject while holding it's final resting position as well.

Looks very interesting and certainly more compact than my 393

Well, I happen to have the 393 as well and can verify your comment. The Acratech is a LOT smaller and does the same work.

Also ...

I followed the entering of my review post (#23, above) with a tad bit more research and found a better solution for movement in the lateral plane (left/right tilt) for purposes of leveling. Acratech actually makes an optional leveling base, upon which the tension head can be attached, providing up to 10 degrees of motion in any direction - very useful to ensure level panning. Here's the link to that accessory:

http://acratech.net/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AOS&Product_Code=1121&Category_Code=LB

Cheers,
Robert

Last edited:
Well, I couldn't resist buying myself a birthday present. So I've got one of these, with a couple of plates winging there way over the Atlantic as I type. Probably arrive too late for this weekend, but I'll post my findings after I've had a play.

Finally got round to writing some words about the LLH. They can be found in the Reviews section.

Overall I'm very happy with it. Even at £300 (including two plates, shipping and taxes) it's a lot cheaper and lighter than a ballhead/gimbal combination.

Sounds worth investigating. Which qr plate from Acratech would you use to connect the LLH head to the tripod collar of - 1. A Kowa 774 scope, and 2. A Tamron 200-500 attached to a Nikon D300? Also, when carrying the camera/ lens/ LLH/ tripod in the field, does it feel solid, and does the lens (or scope) twist on the head, or does the qr plate prevent that?

Thanks,

Richard

Sounds worth investigating. Which qr plate from Acratech would you use to connect the LLH head to the tripod collar of - 1. A Kowa 774 scope, and 2. A Tamron 200-500 attached to a Nikon D300? Also, when carrying the camera/ lens/ LLH/ tripod in the field, does it feel solid, and does the lens (or scope) twist on the head, or does the qr plate prevent that?

Not sure what plates. Best thing is to measure the foot of the lens/scope and buy a slightly larger plate.

When everything is locked down there's no movement at all of the lens/scope when carrying it.

Hi again,

I have never used Arca-Swiss style QR plates. What stops the camera + lens (or scope) from twisting on the tripod head when there is one screw attaching the QR plate to the tripod collar - is it the flange at the end of the QR plate?

Richard

Hi again,

I have never used Arca-Swiss style QR plates. What stops the camera + lens (or scope) from twisting on the tripod head when there is one screw attaching the QR plate to the tripod collar - is it the flange at the end of the QR plate?

Richard

Ideally you'd use two screws (or one screw and a locating pin). If you only use one screw then the flange does help stop rotation. Also, I tend to put a plate on and leave it on - so it gets tightened with an Allen key. That makes for a pretty firm connection.

I also use something called Parafilm between the lens and the plate. It's something used in laboratories for sealing glassware (sort of clingfilm on steroids). That greatly increases the friction between lens and plate.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back