• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I need help with birdbaths!!! (1 Viewer)

Doug

In my other thread I have asked about suggestions for the perfect garden feeding station - now I am keen for your ideas on birdbaths. What do you provide in your gardens? How do you protect the birds from predators while they use it? All suggestions and photo's gratefully accepted!

I have a bird bath with a heater in it although this year I do not need it.. we also have a pond next door and a large water falls area... my neighbour is in a wheel chair and we assist him with some things... the pond was for me.. I am delighted it is his as we have such intense heat here so we have a huge algae problem... we have had deer and coyots drink from the pond.. the bird bath is never not used.. I have to use the pressure washer several times a year to keep it clean though. In hot months I put small palnt trays or suacers around with water in them.. for birds under the roses and the shy ones etc... we also have a fountain in our pergola but we keep critters and wings out of it as they could drown...hope that helps you.. I can post shots of the pond and water falls if you like..

I too have a pond (with heater), but the heater is for the fish. It has a layered waterfall which the birds like to bathe in.
As for protection.......... they takes their chances against my three cats if they need a bath.

Hello Gaye - I thought you might have some ideas - I would love to see your photo's of the pool & waterfalls - I have room for 2 small pools with an interconnecting stream. I like the idea of small water containers in the hedges for the shier birds like Dunnocks.

Doug I hall look for the photos of the pond and the falls so you can see.. I will warn you though it is huge!!!Had I planned this pond I surely would have done this a bit differently.. but all is said and done, it is marvelous on a summer 's ever to listen to the waterfalls and the birds just love it...

HI, I am brand new here. I just put in a 14 foot long creek last summer. It is only a few inches deep and I got it from Avian Aquatics. It has a pump and takes minimal digging. Robins, orioles, catbirds, doves, goldfinches, titmice, etc. have used it. I am anxious to have it on for a full season to see what it will bring. It is under snow right now.

Doug,

I have a pond with a waterfall. Waterfall only runs from April to October. I keep a hole open in the ice with a heater, which is for the fish, but the birds use it as a water source as well. Mine is probably smaller than the one Gaye will show, mine is only 1,000 gallons. As far as shelter, ours is a newer subdivision, so shelter is in the process of growing. However, I have strategically planted bushes and trees so that it will serve its purpose. Mine don't just have to worry about my cat, mine have to worry about a Sharp-shinned Hawk that seems to have adopted my yard.

Brian you are right ... the pond that is in for me is about 4.5 feet deep in the deepest part and it holds approx 2200-2800 gallons of water... it is on the side of a mountain and we put a large heater in it so it remains open for whomever... we also sawed a tree(already felled) in half and put them in the pond.. there are five water lilies and a bunch of Mini Catkins...Siberian water irises..... Some water hyacinth.... twisted stuff and cress...The falls is made from boulders and IF it were to be done a gain I would change many things... it is annoying in full desert heat!!!But it keeps the yellow jackets away from my Pergola... thank goodness.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far. It seems obvious to me that you birders on the other side of the pond are far more adventurous than many of us in England. mkdon - I am interested in your 'creek' - I suppose it is what we would call a stream? No chance of a photo is there? I like the 'minimal digging' bit!! The ice heaters sound like a good idea. We don't get the winters here I remember as a child but it does freeze at times - in fact we have a cold snap just now.

Place your birds bath near a tree or shrubs where they can dry off or make a quick escape if necessary. I also find that my feeders nearer to trees or shrubs get more activity than the ones in the open. I find my most used birdbath is the one near the ground on cinder blocks.

Not to be disagreeable, but bigger ponds are generally easier to take care of. You actually have a better chance of algae control and a good water environment with a bigger pond. Some day, I will add to mine.

Gaye, it is funny. I do have some of those boulders, but I made a circle with them, used the dirt from the pond hole to fill in the circle, and then made an elevated cascading waterfall. I did it just to hear the sound of the waterfall. So the rocks are not actually part of the pond.

Hi Doug,
This is mkdon and you are right. It is a stream. It came as a kit and included 3 oval shaped plastic mini-pools and each has a spout on one side. It also included a plastic liner for a 4x5 pool at the bottom. My yard (garden) has a slight slope toward my house so it was a perfect place to take advantage of gravity. The kit also included a pump, tubing, and oat straw to help kill algae. I had a small plastic hose already buried in the yard which I can use to refill the stream. You will need electric within 6 to 8 feet of the pump and you will need gravel for the bottom of the pools and the mini-pools. I have taken some pictures of it, but I am new here and have never uploaded anything. I will try to figure out how to do it, but until then, here is the website for the place where I ordered it. www.avianaquatics.com The have pictures on their site. I am going to double check the website and if I have it wrong, I will repost the proper site in a moment.
As I said, it is shallow and narrow so there is not TOO much digging.

Nice site and I agree with you on less work is best on these projects. I do like that creekbed and think you are very smart in your choice... looks great too.

Hi Doug, I am going to try to attach the creek pictures to this post. I am sorry to be such a beginner on this site, but I will learn to use it correctly eventually.

Attachments

• creek3small.jpg
    creek3small.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 221
Sorry, I got them out of order. Here is one from when I was working on the creek.

Attachments

• creek1small.jpg
    creek1small.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 275
Here is what should be the middle picture of the creek. I hope these are helpful. It was a learning experience for me.

Attachments

• creek2small.jpg
    creek2small.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 194
I must apologize to you regular users. I just attached some pictures of a creek I put in for Doug to look at. Later, I saw on another forum that members have been asked to use the gallery instead for a while. I am new here (no excuses, I understand) and was unaware of the request. Sorry about that.

Having two bitches, what once passed for a small lawn disappeared so we covered the area with a ton of gravel. I made a scrape and lined it with polythene and then added the gravel.

I've attached a pic, although the "layout" has changed slightly since I took this pic about 18 months ago as we've added more plants and stones/pebbles of varying sizes!

The birds love it!

Attachments

• birdbath.jpg
    birdbath.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 297
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back