• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo tripod fell apart and broke my lens!!! (1 Viewer)

That's a real shame, Helios. Really sorry that happened. I take it you were carrying the tripod horizontally across your shoulder. Every time I see someone doing that with a big lens I cringe. Scares me to death thinking about it. I never liked doing it myself, but I was using a Manfrotto 055 at the time. When I finally scraped together money to get a used Gitzo 1548 with no center column I realized I could carry the thing vertically if I padded it. When I tried out my idea I found that my collar bone no longer hurt, and having the 500mm/camera/tripod held vertically greatly changed the center of gravity. It all felt MUCH lighter, better balanced, and easier to carry. And I no longer had the fear I'd end up with a disaster such as you suffered. I posted my method on one of my web pages (http://naturephotography.fredhurteau.com/TripodPad-2.htm).

I didn't know about the NSN safety plate. I'll look into that too. Anything to make my 500mm investment safer is worthwhile. And I'll double check the screw too just for good measure.

I have checked my Tripod and the clamp is actually tightened with a star headed screw, the kind of screw that you find in cars or on domestic appliances, is this a change as some references in the threads are to allen keys, I do have a full set of these drivers but its not a common one for people to own

If they do use star headed screws, it seems a little mean if they don't include one with the tripod, as owners will be removing and refitting the head themselves. I bought a set of these from Halfords for a reasonable price, as I have owned VAG cars for the past couple of decades.

Ron

After reading this thread will interest I sent Gitzo a Email regarding my GT5531S tripod.
This was the reply.
"Thank you for your enquiry into Gitzo products.
To ensure that the camera and lens do not pull the top plate out, the user must ensure that the weight of the camera and lens is distributed centrally on the tripod. The only cause for the top plate being pulled out is the result of poor set-up, the camera and lens weight being positioned too far from the centre of the tripod. There is nothing wrong with the design of the tripod or the quality of the materials used.
Hope this helps."

While this response may have been written to avoid any legal liability, it seems very poor from an enterprise perspective.
To say that there is nothing wrong with the design of the tripod when the head pops off is just absurd. How can anyone believe a business that spouts such nonsense?
Imo, this response is more damaging to Gitzo than the accident itself.

Interesting to read OBX Guide “Fred Hurteau” thread about the way he carries his Rig vertically over his shoulder as I have always carried my Gitzo, DLSR and 600mm lens that way but without the padding.
I have been very happy with the GT5531S tripod’s performance since purchasing it excluding the reports of the head plate coming adrift and Gitzo’s response to my query.
Now in the process of making secondary plate just for peace of mind!

Helios

You have my utmost sympathy.
I don't use Gitzo (7D, Sigma 500mm, Manfrotto Tripod and Indian Gimbal) but if this had happened to me I cannot imagine how absolutely distraught I would have felt.
I think everyone, regardless of equipment manufacturer should take heed and take time out to check equipment integrity regularly.
Your mishap Helios, could be a saving grace (in a very unfortunate way) to many like-minded friends.
Better luck for the future

Simon

Just checked mine after this talk of star-headed screws - it's held on by a hexagonal bolt, so an Allen key wouldn't actually be any good to me (mine is a Gitzo 1325 and looks different to Helios's picture, where you can clearly see the Allen key slot). It still looks as tight as the day it was fixed on Fair Isle (I forget the name of the bloke who helped me, but he had green skin and was wearing just shorts).

In retrospect it doesn't look like a very good piece of design. It would help if the circular piece was fatter at the bottom so that you might get loosening as a kind of warning before it falls out.

I would have sworn that my 5 series was fitted with Allen-keyed bolts, but having just checked both the centre plate and legs are fitted with Torx (star) bolts. No need to buy special screwdrivers though because the tripod came with two angled Torx keys - you need one for each end of the leg bolts - and a small Allen key for the little bolt used to prevent rotation of the head on the top plate.

Everything is as tight as it ever was and I usually carry my tripod like Fred Hurteau with thick pipe insulation on the top sections for shoulder protection.

Bill

I usually carry my tripod like Fred Hurteau with thick pipe insulation on the top sections for shoulder protection.

Bill

I just couldn't walk around like that ! I'd probably end up damaging the lens by walking in to a branch or similar. I find it much more comfortable to have the tripod over my shoulder and the weight spread over both my shoulder and the flat top of my back back. I imagine it's easier to climb up and down inclines in this fashion too.
However, I wave been warned of the implications now !
I actually wrote to Wimberley before purchasing their Mk11 head and specifically asked about carrying the lens in this manor, and it's suitability with a Manfrotto Pro55x and their answer was much lass evasive.They gave it the green light.
cheers Dave

my NSN plate arrived today 2 days from B&H NYC, its a nicely made and finished plate, fitted in seconds and doesn't interfere with the tripod apart from the little hook underneath cant be retro fitted, had to pay £19.00 VAT

Many thanks for all the replies and comments. As several people have experienced this, it does seem to be a design issue with the mounting plate. The repair has been extimated at £1300, which is not as bad as I feared, although this could change. I have a series 5 Gitzo, which should be the best of the best, but bare fact is that the mounting plate is held by a collar that is tightened by only one screw. I don't remember fitting the plate myself, and can't find any torx tool to tighten the holding screw, so I believe the plate came factory fitted (although I might be wrong).

You can easily get the torx head in various socket sets. I have a very cheap set that I use for work (£5 from the garage), but I think I'll need something a bit more substancial to tighten the collar properly.

Last edited:
After reading this thread will interest I sent Gitzo a Email regarding my GT5531S tripod.
This was the reply.
To ensure that the camera and lens do not pull the top plate out, the user must ensure that the weight of the camera and lens is distributed centrally on the tripod. The only cause for the top plate being pulled out is the result of poor set-up, the camera and lens weight being positioned too far from the centre of the tripod. There is nothing wrong with the design of the tripod or the quality of the materials used.
Hope this helps."

Seems to suggest that the tripod isn't suitable for carrying the setup over your shoulder. But I guess we know this now.

This was the reply.
Hope this helps."

As Etudiant has already mentioned, this is a very, very poor response from Gitzo. Their response is, in other words : "Do NOT carry the tripod with camera/lens attached horizontally over the shoulder".
Most birders DO, and photographers probably as well, since it is the easiest way to carry gear and have it ready when needed instantly. All else is just nonsense.
Tripod manufacturers should not be giving snug answers, they should be aware of the needs of their clients. If we want a tripod we can carry horizontally over the shoulder with heavy spotting scope or camera/lens attached, they should make something that will give 100% peace of mind, and eliminate even the slightest fear the whole lot comes apart and expensive gear drops dead.
I'm not talking about screws, I'm talking about bolts and I'm talking about welding.
I want a tripod to be as sturdy and trustworthy as possible, so we can concentrate on birds instead of worrying that our expensive gear hangs on a thread and can fall off any moment.

It's a bl**dy shame that Gitzo doesn't respond to our needs, but only tells us how we should carry our stuff.
Just listen to us and give us 100% peace of mind!

Best regards,

Ronald

Why is the circular mounting plate removable anyway? Why isn't it just a solid piece of metal? Are there other mounting plates that can be interchanged?

Not good for this to happen can i suggest a simple fix using a roll pin they come in many sizes .
All you have to do is drill a hole through both parts and tap the pin in ,i would recommend 2 pins one opposite the other .
Rob.

Attachments

• roll-pin.jpg
    roll-pin.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 280
I think we should all thank Helios for posting this as it is a wake up call for anyone carry a big lens like this. Although my tripod is different to the Gitzo in as much as it has three grub screws holding the mounting base in, I went out yesterday and was thinking about it every time I slung the rig over my shoulder. So today I have made a cheap but hopefully effective remedy by using cable ties to further reinforce the two parts. I am not 100% sure it will work but it will certainly put my mind at ease. Only thing I need now is to find some black cable ties.

Attachments

• tripod1.jpg
    tripod1.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 326
  • tripod2.jpg
    tripod2.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 315
I think we should all thank Helios for posting this as it is a wake up call for anyone carry a big lens like this.
Totally agree Roy.
Like your fix, simple but effective. Pity your not closer Roy I have some black ties.;)
Managed to do a "quick fix" using a plastic disk on my Gitzo, just looking for a small sheet of 1/8" aluminium sheet now!

Hi Roy C,
Nice McGuyver fix! Quick, easy and cheap.
Maybe add a third tie to further constrain the top section with the weighty optics. In Helios' case , it looked as if they had levered out of the retaining ring.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back