• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feisol Tripod (1 Viewer)

markonerja

Hi Has anyone got any positive or negative comments on these tripods?
I have just bought a Canon 500mm f.4, along with a Manfrotto 393 head. I cannot afford a Gitzo, so am looking at the Feisol legs. I read the newer versions are better constructed, any comment?

I've had a Feisol for about 4 years now. Normally has a Canon 1D Mark III and a 100-400mm zoom lens, have also used the Canon with a 100-500mm Sigma and occasionally with a 400mm DO and 1.4 converter attached. I know it isn't as heavy as the 500 probably is, but I have experienced absolutely no problems whatsoever.

I have the Feisol 3372 Carbon Fiber Tripod Mark, superb piece of kit. I have had it for a couple if years now with no problems whatsoever. I use it with a 300/2.8 + tc.

Bite the bullet! Go Gitzo - with top quality lenses there is no room for compromise. I am not saying that Gitzo tripods are worth the money, it's just that the others don't do the job quite as well. I swore I would never spend the price of a decent DSLR on a tripod but then I tried one - OOPS! Now I have 4! Had to eat several hats after that one!
Supporting the weight of your 500mm is no problem, damping down vibration and eliminating flex IS. I use the GT03530LS/G1329 Mk2 with a Wimberley 2 head + 600mm F4 IS and 1D4 and they are very solid - the 5 series is even better but heavier and more expensive.
P.S. I picked up the G (carbon) 1329 Mk2 + separate center column used for £100. So I suggest you have a look for used Gitzos. Compromise and you will end up spending more in the long run.
Good luck!

Bite the bullet! Go Gitzo - with top quality lenses there is no room for compromise. I am not saying that Gitzo tripods are worth the money, it's just that the others don't do the job quite as well.

Just curious have you had a Feisol that you were unsatisfied with -- broke, didn't work, etc. Have you heard of problems with this tripod manufacturer? I don't avow to be an expert on tripods, but as I said in my post above, mine has not given me any problems whatsoever. I've seen other posts on the forum where Feisol users are very satisfied. Just curious why you feel the need to trash them.

Just curious have you had a Feisol that you were unsatisfied with -- broke, didn't work, etc. Have you heard of problems with this tripod manufacturer? I don't avow to be an expert on tripods, but as I said in my post above, mine has not given me any problems whatsoever. I've seen other posts on the forum where Feisol users are very satisfied. Just curious why you feel the need to trash them.

No I haven't tried a Feisol simply because we don't see them much in the UK! I had a look at this one http://www.feisol.net/feisol-elite-tripod-ct3372-rapid-p-57.html (as it's very similar to my GT3530LS). That looks like a fine tripod! It is about the same weight as the Gitzo and shares many of it's design features. However it's weight rating is 50% less than the Gitzo )12 vs 18 kilos the same as my 2 series Gitzo), I know this is not that relevant as my Gitzo will support me 100 Kilos! What it is though is a guide to it's rigidity - far more important IMO. Another factor is that I have found is that no one else (that I have tried) seems to make tripods that damp vibration as well as Gitzo, it appears to be the result of the Epoxy Resin they use to bind the carnon fiber together (I think!). Anyway after looking at the Feisol advert I would agree it looks like a very viable alternative, with the proviso about the load capacity, and MOST certainly worth a long look - and it's prettier!
You probably know that in the UK we have to pay too much for almost everything. Well I purchased all my gitzo's from a small high street dealer in a Welsh Valley mining town and at the exchange rates at the time of purchase (if memory serves) I paid a little less than the $549 quoted in that add, at todays rates the Gitzo would have been about $600 US - why would I look further?B :)

Probably a little late here, but I also bought a 500/4L in June and looked at both Gitzo and Feisol. I went Feisol due to a couple of things:

a) Price is about 60% of the Gitzo
b) Built just as well and I was told by a number of photographers that Feisol used to make Gitzo tripods that were rebadged
c) A few friends I have use it and as long as you don't use it in salt water (or wash/clean well) they are perfect for the 500/4L
d) I liked the customer service/communication both from Feisol (namely Michael) and from their reseller Kerry Thalman at Reallybigcameras.com

Overall I am extremely happy with my CT-3372 model and Wimberley MkII head. I never looked at a head other than the Wimberley MkII either. Though since I had the rig, I rarely use the tripod anyway as I prefer hand holding wherever possible and with the 500/4 and 1D body it's more than easy enough for hours on end (even 1.4x and 2x attached). Though for 2x and stacked TC images I prefer to use tripod. I was a little worried about the 12kg load rating, but in reality it's enough for my overall rig, including flash bracket, flash and other accessories. :)

Hope you are happy with whatever you chose.

Further to my previous post:
Yesterday I was down at Kenfig Pool (a local birding spot) and had a quick chat with a guy using a Feisol monopod for his 500 F4. It was a very nicely produced, the leg locks worked well and smoothly and the finish was top notch, overall a nice piece of kit!
Was it as good as my Gitzo monopod - no, but if you can get the Feisol significantly cheaper then it looks like their products are a very viable alternative to the rather expensive Gitzo products.

Feisol Tripods

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would and my two cents anyway- someone may find it helpful.

My experience with Feisol has been flawless. I have been using a Sigma 50-500 with D300 and had originally purchased a Gitzo 3540 - but after experiencing more tripod vibrations than I expected, along with the way the top plate was cinched with a single compression bolt and that plus friction was all that held the head/camera/lens in place - I decided to sell it and purchase the Feisol 3472.

The primary difference is the way the top plate is attached - there are three stainless steel V-tipped set allen set screws that seat into a corresponding V groove in side of the top plate. The machining tolerance is so tight that even with only one screw in place there is no way that the head will disengage. But plus for me, compared to the Gitzo. Although I have never heard or read about someone losing their gear on a Gitzo - shortly after the 3540 was introduced, maybe 6 months later, Gitzo redesigned how the top plate is attached, making it more secure - that was an update to a 3541/2.

Although the Feisol is priced cheaper than a Series 3 Gitzo its performance is probably closer to a Series 5 - load carrying ratings aside. the CT 3472 was noticeably better at damping vibrations than the 3540, it was only 2 ounces heavier, and extremely well made. I can say that now without any hesitation, after owning one since the summer of 2008. I cannot vouch for the quality of the "Classic: line, but the Elite is the way to go - in the meantime, they increased the price slightly and added anti-rotation leg locks - which would be my only complaint on my set. I can highly recommend Feisol - but be sure to purchase from Feisol direct - not to sure about the US dealer. The manufacturer is very accommodating and goes the distance to resolve any issues.

Done a fair bit of research and about to order up a 3442, shame they are out of stock for a couple of weeks

Intend using it with a Markins M10, seems a sensible compromise between price, weight, size, quality and function

Think its worth paying out for the rapid version, seems its their take on the Gitzo anti rotating leg, picked the 3442 for its good height with no central column

Have looked at most of the decent carbon tripods including Gitzo and Feisol won out although another brand named Induro also caught my eye. Helped that the 3442 was the only one that met my exact specifications, namely no central column, light weight and under 50cm folded

Must also add that I asked a couple of question at Feisol UK and they replied very quickly so their customer service seems ok too

Was tempted by a Gitzo, but to be honest I would want a lifetime warranty for such a premium price and pretty sure it would not give double the performance for twice the price of the Feisol I have chosen, would have also been a slight compromise on spec too

Last edited:

Since my last post I have tried a couple more Feisol products and some Sirui stuff. They both appear to come from the TRIOPO factories and whilst they are not perfect they are extremely good! I even bought a Sirui P424 Monopod and the ONLY criticism I can offer is that the leg warmer was not too well secured (cured with BOSTIK) the carbon is second only to Gitzo but the price is just under one third!
If I had my time again I think I may well have gone the Feisol/Sirui/Benro route but I would have gone up 1 leg thickness to achieve similar results. They are not as durable as the Gitzo's - but they are not far behind and MUCH cheaper to replace. Very good value!

Sorry to bump this old thread but i wanted to highlight how good Feisol customer service is:

I have a Feisol 3301 and a gitzo 5541. My 3301 was the earliest model and the main frame broke last year which needed a replacement. The new frame is much better with allen screws going in from the side of the head. I have heard all the flaws and defects in the orginal design have been rectified and the newer Feisols are much more durable and strongly built.

Their customer service was with me on email all the time. They even put in the parts which I needed to buy, through some one to bring them over to me in india, on their web site only for me. That speaks volumes of their customer service.

The 5541, well is a true blue gitzo and there have been no complaints yet.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump this old thread but i wanted to highlight how good Feisol customer service is:

I have a Feisol 3301 and a gitzo 5541. My 3301 was the earliest model and the main frame broke last year which needed a replacement. The new frame is much better with allen screws going in from the side of the head. I have heard all the flaws and defects in the orginal design have been rectified and the newer Feisols are much more durable and strongly built.

Their customer service was with me on email all the time. They even put in the parts which I needed to buy, through some one to bring them over to me in india, on their web site only for me. That speaks volumes of their customer service.

The 5541, well is a true blue gitzo and there have been no complaints yet.

Pleased to hear that Feisol service is top notch.
Since my previous post on this thread a friend of mine has bought a Feisol tripod. I cannot remember the model number but it is a Systematic type with 3 leg sections equivalent (in diameter) to a 2 series Gitzo. What a lovely lightweight tripod! It is nearly as rigid as my Gitzo GT2531 and quite a bit lighter. It weighs just over 1 kilo and happily copes with a 1D4, 300mm F2.8 L IS and gimbal head + extenders. Would I prefer a Gitzo version - yes - do they make on NO! Gitzos nearest equivalent is new GT2532 which is about 60% heavier and a LOT more expensive! True it is better - but not that much better.

I can also confirm that Feisol UK offer brilliant customer service. A few weeks ago I decided to take apart some leg sections for cleaning (not that they really needed it but I have not cleaned them since I had the tripod over three years ago). Anyway I screwed up and damaged one of the the collets, I contacted Feisol UK and told them which collet it was and they said they would put one in the post for me, no charge. When I received it there was a full set of collets for each leg section (all free of charge) - great service!

I can also confirm that Feisol UK offer brilliant customer service. A few weeks ago I decided to take apart some leg sections for cleaning (not that they really needed it but I have not cleaned them since I had the tripod over three years ago). Anyway I screwed up and damaged one of the the collets, I contacted Feisol UK and told them which collet it was and they said they would put one in the post for me, no charge. When I received it there was a full set of collets for each leg section (all free of charge) - great service!

As opposed to Gitzo of course which we can see from this now famous thread. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=193413

I'm also given to understand that the rubber feet on Gitzos can be lost quite easily and you have to pay them for a new set.

As opposed to Gitzo of course which we can see from this now famous thread. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=193413

I'm also given to understand that the rubber feet on Gitzos can be lost quite easily and you have to pay them for a new set.

I started with 12 Gitzo rubber feet - still have all twelve AND I still have the tripods too :-O

Yes they can unscrew but just check them once every year or so and they are fine. If you suffer from paranoia then thread lock or nail varnish on the threads should calm you down.3:)

Just pulling all 3 of your legs!

Last edited:
I started with 12 Gitzo rubber feet - still have all twelve AND I still have the tripods too :-O

Yes they can unscrew but just check them once every year or so and they are fine. If you suffer from paranoia then thread lock or nail varnish on the threads should calm you down.3:)

Just pulling all 3 of your legs!

If I use all my nail varnish on a tripod then my nails will look dreadful! Really...humph! :girl:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back