• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monopod....help please. (1 Viewer)

seggs

Alrite!
After years of hand-holding with camera set ups I am how considering(again) getting a Monopod. Ive viewed ebay and some of the threads on here regarding value wise and best set up for myself being portable enough in the field.
Confused.com comes to mind at times.

Anyone with advice with a similar set to mine (7D and 400mm)..???

After years of hand-holding with camera set ups I am how considering(again) getting a Monopod. Ive viewed ebay and some of the threads on here regarding value wise and best set up for myself being portable enough in the field.
Confused.com comes to mind at times.

Anyone with advice with a similar set to mine (7D and 400mm)..???

I use a Giottos MML3290B monopod with a Manfrotto 234RC head, this set up works for me with the 7D and 400f5.6. It is portable enough in the field and the Giottos extends to a good height.

Regards
Tom

I use a Manfrotto 681b Its a very sturdy monopod .
Rob.
Eddit
I use a lensmaster RH-1 Head on it .

Last edited:
I have a Manfrotto 681B and it will support anything, however, when touring I use a lightweight Velbon Ultrastick since the 681 is big, heavy and often left behind. If you are using a monopod as a stabiliser you don't necessary need full strength (the Ultrastick has shown no sign of collapsing, but I have given up carrying a full outfit anymore. I certainly wouldn't use it for carrying a camera over the shoulder (the 681 is good for that!).

I use 234 RC heads as well - they fit both.

Last edited:
I have the same set up as Roy. When I bought the monopod about 3 months ago Manfrotto were doing a special offer that included the head for free. I doubt whether it's still available but some dealers might still have stock.

Tony

I bought a Slik Monopod 350 AF with AF1100E Trigger Action Ball Head and I'm using it with my 7D and 300mm f2.8 So far it is proving to be very easy to use and pretty sturdy. I'm 6' 2" and it has plenty of height for me. I notice someone on Ebay is selling this combo for under £70 new so not expensive either.

Giottos MML3290B monopod with a Manfrotto 234RC head is a great option. It is a good price, one of the most sturdy and not too heavy.

I have a Gitzo aluminium but it is extremley well made plus you can buy a 15cm spike to use in rough country. Downside is the price (£95 two years ago) and the spike is an extra but it feels very well made. I purchased it after my old Leica Tlitall gave up the ghost after 30 years.
Choice of 3/8" or 1/4" thread for a head if you need one.
Highly recommended.

Thanks for all the great advice folks, Manfrotto 681B and 234RC head on the way. Managed to purchase both items new (including the postage) for just over £72.

Thanks for all the great advice folks, Manfrotto 681B and 234RC head on the way. Managed to purchase both items new (including the postage) for just over £72.

Can you share your first impressions with your new set up?

I'm interested in purchasing the 681B and 234RC as well.

Thanks and all the Best...

I have a 234RC and would pass on a tip to Manfrotto Monopod users. I was in Gambia and found that one day I had lost the rubber foot. On return, checked out the Manfrotto and other parts websites only to find the cost was around £10 (plus postage). Went to Wilkinsons where they sell rubber ends for walking sticks and got a really solid one for about 80p.

Can you share your first impressions with your new set up?

I'm interested in purchasing the 681B and 234RC as well.

Thanks and all the Best...

This Monopod is built like a scaffold tube and is as sturdy. Its not too heavy on a short walk about but if on a longer slog it would need to be strapped onto a kit bag etc.(unless you just carry the camera set up). Ive tried strapping it to my Thinktank holster but its not a ideal solution as the monopods length when collapsed still tends to get in the way whilst walking. (thinking of putting a seperate strap on it now to lug over my shoulder).
Leg locks very easy to use and quick to apply.

The quick release head is just like the one I use on my scope and tripod with a secure locking pin and shoe thats secured to the lens. Quick release as the "Tin" says. Quick check on the tightness of the head to the monopod needed each time of use, especially when carried over the shoulder.

Seems like a excellent set up being my first monopod wise so I can only speak as I find.
But a word of warning!(idiot wise) ....make sure the camera and lens set up is properly secured to the monopod and head before picking them all up together.... I did'nt in my haste a couple of weeks back trying to get a shot. .:C :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back