• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice re monopod,please (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
Hi,everyone,I am seeking advice please re a monopod,with some sort of tilting ball head attchment suitable for a 40D and 400F5.6 .It needs to be sturdy,but not too heavy.I now have a new shoulder,and all the damaged muscle stitched back into place(beware users of heavy handholding equipment-pointing lens etc sky wards-this could be your fate!!!!):eek!:,so been outside for the first time yesterday but only using the 70-200 , and can only use whils't sitting down and still needing to rest this lighter weight set up.Only 3 weeks since the op,so is still early days,but need to be making the most of the Spring birds.I will not be actually carrying the set up as such,and something which comes with a spike would be helpful.I am going to ask hubby,to fit it with a clamp to my buggy .So please any advice would be good.I have read some of the threads,but do realise that new gear comes out every week as such.Do not want to pay an exorbitant price,but needs to be sturdy ,but reasonably light .
Thankyou
Christine

Christine
I use a manfrotto 679b for my 300 2.8,i actually use a Lensmaster lightweight gimbal,i used to own a 400 f5.6 and i used the manfrotto 234 tilt head with no problems..
All the best with your recovery...

Paul

Thanks John and Paul,,so Paul,would you say,the Manfrotto with the Lensmaster gimbal,of the 234RC head?.

I would strongly suggest you have a look at the Gitzo GM2541. Mine weighs next to nothing and will support anything Canon/Nikon currently make. Mine does a good job of supporting my 800 F5.6 and did the same for my 600 F4 IS in the past. It just looked wrong that this silly little stick would support such heavy weights.
I have both the Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal an the Manfrotto 234 (no longer used), also I have the Sirui L10. The Manfrotto 234 is not up to larger lenses and does not have a very good tilt action, but it is light and cheap - so not to be ignored. My Lensmaster RH1 is (in my opinion) a bit big and heavy for mono pod use, I am not knocking it as for the price it is excellent and I am very happy with it though I bought it for tripod use with a 300mm F2.8 - for which it is spot on. If I am using light to medium weight lenses (up to 4 Kilo including camera) on my mono pods I use the Sirui L10, it is not perfect but I find it pretty good - it is available here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sirui-Alu...434?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6d757a42.
If you are after a cheaper mono pod than the Gitzo then have a look at this alternative (I have the P424 - heavier version and rate it for the price) :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sirui-P-3...30710959401?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item1e6efaf529 Note this includes the L10 head.
Well that was quite a dissertation! Any queries/clarification needed - let me know.

I have the Manfrotto 234 head but agree with John that the tilt action is not very good (even with the lightweight 400/5.6). I upgraded to the Sirui L10 and as John has said, not perfect, but a lot better than the 234 IMHO.

Thanks john and Roy,Rob is going to send me one of his inventions to try,but I will still look for a sep mono with head,as hopefully Rob's gimbal can be fixed directly onto handlebars ,which should be perfect,can just sit and point and shoot

Thanks john and Roy,Rob is going to send me one of his inventions to try,but I will still look for a sep mono with head,as hopefully Rob's gimbal can be fixed directly onto handlebars ,which should be perfect,can just sit and point and shoot

You make Rob's "inventions" sound a little Heath Robinson - I think you are in for a pleasant surprise!
I am sure the RH1 woud make a fine mono pod head - I was just after something a bit lighter/smaller.

You make Rob's "inventions" sound a little Heath Robinson - I think you are in for a pleasant surprise!
I am sure the RH1 woud make a fine mono pod head - I was just after something a bit lighter/smaller.

Thanks john,apparently,the gimbla which Rob has made,is slightly smaller and lighter than the original RH1(i think),but I am still going to have to purchase a monod and head,as the new gimbal will be a permanebt fixture on my buggy,thanks for all the info and advice,Will post back ,when Gimbal arrives and is fixed up,

Thanks john,apparently,the gimbla which Rob has made,is slightly smaller and lighter than the original RH1(i think),but I am still going to have to purchase a monod and head,as the new gimbal will be a permanebt fixture on my buggy,thanks for all the info and advice,Will post back ,when Gimbal arrives and is fixed up,

Sorry I got my models wrong there I should have said "I am sure the RH2 would make a fine mono pod head - I was just after something a bit lighter/smaller". I use the RH1 and it is smaller and lighter just not as suitable for the really heavy lenses like the 600 F4 etc.

A leg clamp snapped on my old Manfrotto monopod a couple of days ago and needed replacing. It was at least 12 years old and owed me nothing.

I use mine for the Canon 7D + Canon 400mm f5,6 with and without teleconverters.

I settled on the Manfrotto 679B as well. Worth checking out Camarthen Cameras as they have it on offer at present for £24.99 reduced from £44.99.

I ordered mine on Monday and it arrived this morning.

Thanks Ian.May I just add here,that I purchased a Gimbal lens support from Gyrob,excellent.It is attached to a Giotto mono at the moment,very easy to user,exceptionally well made,thankyou Rob.But as I am now looking for a second mono for the 550,with a 70-200 then Ian's post re the Manfrotto should be just the job,thankyou Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back