• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D7200 to D500? (1 Viewer)

proudpapa56

Where'd you go, stay put!
United States
Filtering through all the goobildy goop, (don't know if goobildy is a real word or correct spelling), would there be enough difference to switch out my D7200 for the D500? I don't do any video (probably should), so just comparing still shots.

I can't offer any practical experience - I'm looking to upgrade to a Nikon DSLR system from a superzoom, mainly attracted by the compactness of the 300mm f4 PF and trying to decide what to put on the end of it - but I have been following the sometimes heated discussions on dpreview on this very subject. This is one (relatively good tempered) example relating to BIF:
http://http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57739676
As a newcomer to DSLRs (but not photography) I'm probably going to go for a D7200, as I'm unconvinced for my needs that the D500 is £1000 / $1000 better - although hoping at the same time enough more experienced photographers upgrade to D500 (for BIF, high frame rate, better weather protection etc.) so I can find a good secondhand D7200 :)

I am doing this switch now. Last year I bought the D7200 thinking the D400(500) would never happen. But the features standing out to me are these.

- 10fps
- Tilt screen
- Bigger body with deeper grip. The d750 is the best handling nikon camera according to me and the d500 is the same size and grip. With the bigger body i dont need the battery grip so the d500 will be lighter for me compared to d7200 with grip.
- AF system
- Buffer is extremely good compared to d7200

From what I have seen the D500 equals the D750 in iso performance and yields sharper images than both d7200 and d750 even though it has 20.9mp. I don't know if this will be shown in real life use, but it can't be worse than d7200 and I was happy with that.

Hopefully I can keep the d500 for a long time. It feels like a camera that they really tried to make good and not gimp on any useful features(for me).

As I play more with the d500 the better it gets !
A couple from a series all pin sharp.
Treecreeper at 3200 ISO in poor light. Other people maybe could but I couldn't get this detail with d7200.

Attachments

• 516_0799a.jpg
    516_0799a.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 274
  • 516_0800a.jpg
    516_0800a.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 262
  • 516_0932a.jpg
    516_0932a.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 373
As I play more with the d500 the better it gets !
A couple from a series all pin sharp.
Treecreeper at 3200 ISO in poor light. Other people maybe could but I couldn't get this detail with d7200.

Nice Les. I would think that the better noise handling at high iso would be the main benefit of the D500 over the D7200 as you've nicely highlighted.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back