• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best 80-85mm not Alpha telescope? (1 Viewer)

The challenge is getting a good specimen.
It seems that no one produces a reliably excellent product, although the alphas do better than most.
That puts the burden on the buyer, because few shops allow comparison testing even if they have several in inventory.
Here in the US this is a factor in the success of Amazon, as they have free shipping and are ok with returns.
I don't know the situation in Spain.

wachipilotes, post 1,
I do not know, which companies you define as alphas, but we recently have investigated the Meopta S2-82 observation telescopes and combined with the 30-6x zoom eyepiece it is certainly one of the top level 80-85 mm observation telescopes on the market in my opinion, while the price is attractive.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hello,
I think I know what it is, because the other day I had the chance to look for some between 80mm and 85mm, in a wetland ... at dawn, but with enough light.
Undoubtedly, among all, there was one that shone above the rest, with a sharpness, brightness, contrast and definition without par ...
Kowa 883
I found it!!

PS: Now it's about saving for such a disbursement, my God !!

Personal opinion (and those two words probably need carving into granite), my favourite scope is one that hardly gets a mention in Birdforum, namely Opticron's HR 80. It has a simple but smooth focus wheel, is tough as old boots, brings natural colours, and can vacuum light from the densest shadows. Also, three of them = 1 ATX.

Pentax PF80ED, I had a Kowa 884 and the Pentax side by side for a week. The Kowa was better, but only just.
If your using fixed eyepieces the Pentax is superb and compares well with the Kowa zoom. If your using a zoom only the Kowa wins. The good thing about the Pentax is you can swap out the eyepieces that quick, it's nearly as quick as a zoom. Cracking scope excellent value for money and highly recommended.
I also had a Opticron HR80 at the same time, to my eyes the Pentax was better, the screw in eypeices on the Opticron are pain. Personally I would never buy a scope with screwing eyepieces.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back