• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are the very BEST Binos in this Galaxy (2 Viewers)

WJC #51

I always wondered why I had "squintyeyetis" while borrowing my mates Travelite zoom binocular. The more zoom I used the more headache I got! Now I know!

P.s. once I've racked up some overtime I may buy your "cook book"! From the odd bits I've seen so far it looks very good.

BET you get a headache from the read.....:smoke:

Hello,

Even if my contacts on Aldebaran #3 send me the latest version of their trinocular, which clearly has poor ergonomics, I have owned the greatest binoculars many times. There has always been some incremental improvement which attracted me until 2006. My Leitz 8x30 Binuxit was not as bright as the Classic Zeiss 8x30 was not as rugged as my Leica 8x32 BN, which did not have the dielectric mirror, nor the ED glass, of my 8x32 Zeiss FL. Then I called it quits. There is a huge difference between the Leitz and the Zeiss FL but I could still bird watch happily with the ClassiC.

I also learned, as did Gilmore Girl, that reviews are not thoroughly reliable. A rather highly praised binocular did not work out for me.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello,

Even if my contacts on Aldebaran #3 send me the latest version of their trinocular....

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Imagine...there may be beings on distant planets currently using reflected light from Earth to test their binoculars! Stuff like that weirds me out, man:smoke:

... I have owned the greatest binoculars many times..Then I called it quits...There is a huge difference between the Leitz and the Zeiss FL but I could still bird watch happily with the ClassiC...

I feel much the same. If bins had been as good as my current set when I first started my quest, I think I'd have been satisfied. I had standards, which are now finally met, so I am at peace.

Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio II
Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL
Zeiss 8x32 FL
Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV (of near or FP vintage)

These four bins do it all for me. Maybe someday, I'll get something else, but maybe not.

--AP

All this speak of binocular focussing systems has me baffled, my binoculars are fixed(always) in focus type. I'm surprised more of you arent using them! Cheers.

All this speak of binocular focussing systems has me baffled, my binoculars are fixed(always) in focus type. I'm surprised more of you arent using them! Cheers.

Fixed focus doesn't work for delivering high resolution views quickly at different distances inside "infinity".
In my case, as a bird+butterfly watcher, I often view something 5 ft away and then another at infinity, moments apart.

--AP

Please don't be surprised. If that fraud makes you happy, I am sure we are happy for you. They, however, are not always in focus; they force YOU—if you are young enough to accommodate the error—to deal with their fixed focus setting.

Bill

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 3.58.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 3.58.01 PM.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 4.00.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 4.00.07 PM.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 2.42.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 2.42.18 PM.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Fixed focus doesn't work for delivering high resolution views quickly at different distances inside "infinity".
In my case, as a bird+butterfly watcher, I often view something 5 ft away and then another at infinity, moments apart.

--AP
Of course they are used rarely as i actually prefer the optics of my recently acquired Swaro 10x50 EL's. seriously i think these may be the best bins currently available! Cheers ;)

Of course they are used rarely as i actually prefer the optics of my recently acquired Swaro 10x50 EL's. seriously i think these may be the best bins currently available! Cheers ;)

Before offering you a chance to buy my 1,000 oceanfront acres just northwest of Wichita, I thought I would look up your profile. Photographer! So, you’re the guy they all talk about when they mention that DRY Brit humoUr, huh? :cat:

Bill

Last edited:

"These" could mean either the Swaro or your fixed focus due to the way the posting reads. I hope "these" is the Swaro! :t:

Since we talking Galaxy we can start with Star Wars as they are the first to pioneer the use of whatever that device is called and go up from there.

I was about to agree, but thought about it and seriously...
Give a 2nd focal plane to a shooter with an accurate telemeter, and who knows his rifle and his craft and it won't matter much.

As a lad w/single cock lever action BB gun I mentally calculated range/drop, based on familiarity of arm, then sighted down the side of the barrel.

Observing the trajectory of the golden arc, should I miss me mark, I recalibrated point of aim bringing arm to bear on new mark.

At the very least I had a straight plane to sight from as opposed to me slingshot in which, thanks to marauding dogs, I was fairly proficient.

.45-70 at Two Miles: The Sandy Hook Tests of 1879

As long as adults see things they can't possibly see, are willing to spend time performing meaningless tests ...

What, now you tell me the shootout under the carport hand held Vulture 15X56 Vs. MV 20x56 reading the sides of a Domino pizza box stuck in the back of a dark rural mailbox was w/o merit?

Last edited:
What, now you tell me the shootout under the carport hand held Vulture 15X56 Vs. MV 20x56 reading the sides of a Domino pizza box stuck in the back of a dark rural mailbox was w/o merit?

Not at all! The latest bulletin from US Department of Quasi-Scientific Optical Estimations says the Dominos Pizza box is the one to use. Also, the other two finalists were: Pizza Hut and Little Caesars. It should be noted that only 2 anchovies separated the two. :cat:

Bill

Post 73.
As usual with claims of the world's biggest whatever, this binocular certainly isn't.

Japanese 180mm binoculars were used on Capital ships.
There is a 250mm Japanese binocular in a museum.
There were many 150mm Japanese binoculars, admittedly shorter focal length.

I think there was a superb Clark 6 inch binocular long focus.

Ross made a 6 inch binocular for fortress Malta. I couldn't afford the £250 asked.
Zeiss made 3 30cm binoculars on altazimuth mounts, which don't survive now. Weighed several tons each.

The APM/LZOS 304mm f/7.5 binocular is very much larger. 400kgs, total weight with mount 2000 kgs.

There are larger aperture binocular telescopes.

Unfortunately newspapers are not reliable sources of information.

Last edited:

I mount the lightweight porro II IF Ross Stepray 12X50 w/ease and being ambidextrous focus w/both thumbs and index fingers simultaneously.

Granted they do not shine on close focus, so I whip out me monocle for close work ...
-
I can only recall eating the two anchovies though the smaller EP M5 totin' an extra 5X did resolve more from the back of the mail cave. Using that as a precedent I come to the conclusion that I can resolve more w/13X than an 8X, conceding brightness to the lesser power, hand held.
[ETA: To be fair 10.67X should resolve more for me hand held than an 8X or 9.33X Vs. 7X.]

Since Cookie is an international author perhaps he can intervene on me account, plying oratory skills under the guise of diplomacy seeking optical nirvana, for a F/6 125-130mm spotter w/2" eyepiece mount. I feel the need for much more fov at higher magnification.
===
For nomination in honourable mention the CBS, Christoph Beck & Sons, Beck Kassel Tordalk/Panet 22x80:

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/vt8AAOSwLsBZPVHw/$_86.JPG

http://imgserver.astrosell.it/image/ath1-annuncio_39171_73527_P1030516.JPG

http://cdn04.trixum.de/upload2/112400/112210/1/1526d0fedff24c13dbec7a4913a800c4b.jpg

Beautiful royal purple felt, gold trim inside lid "Edward Marcus LTD. London", und leather case, winged eyecups w/rubber objective bumpers sportin' very little ER. Hinge cap, "Made in Germany" w/left barrel objective cap in white, "Supplied by Edward Marcus Ltd."

[The case in the last pic was made in Germany utilizing two brass anchors mounted high on the outside of case for the shoulder strap to attach w/lid having a spring loaded push snap latch. No middle leather strap to assist bin removal. The felt is the same colour though noticeably no regards/nod to Ed Marcus under the lid. Same objective bumpers for laying objective end down on table w/o scratching along w/helping secure the bins inside the case for snug fit. Mine is missing the winged eyepiece covers. The case in the first pic is as mine w/exception of the shoulder strap mountings. The 11X80 bins in the second pic have a second focus wheel by the front caps as does the Saturn 15x60. Mine does not.]

On the outside of the case on mine where the middle bin removal assist leather strap is brass riveted is proudly stamped, "Made in England". In redundant fashion the shoulder strap loops under the case via two leather strap collars sewn top/bottom on the sides. Lid is secured by elastic sewn on nickle D-ring riveted to leather fob w/two piece washer style nickle rivet to nickle anchor riveted to case.

Weighed w/small neck strap at a hair over 48 ounces. No tripod mount as these were made for sporting gents to hand hold. Depending on market marked, "Beck Kassel w/"CBS" triangle badge, "Tordalk" or "Planet". Left front cap "Light Weight" right front cap, "Coated Optics" Both objectives/eyepieces coated at least on the outside.

The Tordalk 15X80 was highly regarded in its day. One gent prefered them whilst gazing for undiscovered comets. George Alcock used them and WWII German 25 x 105's to discover 5 comets and 5 novae.

Last edited:
The British Avimo binocular is fixed focus I think, although I haven't tried one.

They were deemed sufficient for young soldiers whose use is for distance observing.

Similarly the Bushnell 4x21 and 4x30 Xtrawide are fixed focus.

I cannot really use the 4x21 because of little accommodation, but stars at the edges are in focus for me with I think field curvature.
Children, however, seem to love them with 18.5 degree field. Actually 3.5x21.

I gave a friend's son the Konus 10x50 fixed focus and he finds it to be fine for astronomy.

P.S.
Although the early Minolta autofocus binoculars are not very good the later ones such as the 8x23 I find to be superb in good light. It focuses almost instantly, much quicker than manual focus binoculars and is pin sharp.
It does have trouble in dense foliage but no more than good autofocus camera lenses.
In addition it has a very large dioptre correction range.
But it is bulky and needs a battery.
It was a very good effort by Minolta.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back