• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do i need Swarovski binos and scope? (1 Viewer)

TaffyClay

I currently own a Swarovski ATS 80HD 20X60 spotting scope which is brilliant. Am looking to upgrade my binoculars to Swarovski EL 10x42 SV.

But, had a few comments from people asking what is the point as it is a lot of money and I already have a great scope. Does anyone own both? Does having a better quality of binocular result in less use of the scope? Surely the scope is still the better optic, but the binos at the more convenient for daily use?

Any thoughts welcomed!

I currently have a very old pair of 10x42 Barr and Stroud Sahara's, and as a Countryside Ranger, binos are used daily for birding.

I have an ATX 95 plus the 10 x 42 EL SV. Both are great to use as a pair. During warbler migration a scope is difficult to use so I mainly use he bios. The use of each depends on the type of birding I am doing. For me the pair is perfect.

Taffy

I would consider a pair of 8x32s. You are clearly a scope enthusiast and the huge field of view of a good 8x32 would be great for scanning around for birds and locating them before using the scope to get the best views, and an 8x32 is a great compact and light format for every occasion. Why go for a high magnification bino when you have such a high magnification scope? An 8x32 would be cheaper and give you an entirely (bigger) different view and be a great compliment to the magnification powers of your scope.

Lee

I currently own a Swarovski ATS 80HD 20X60 spotting scope which is brilliant. Am looking to upgrade my binoculars to Swarovski EL 10x42 SV.

But, had a few comments from people asking what is the point as it is a lot of money and I already have a great scope. Does anyone own both? Does having a better quality of binocular result in less use of the scope? Surely the scope is still the better optic, but the binos at the more convenient for daily use?

Any thoughts welcomed!
IMO, bins and scopes should never be compared...they serve very different purposes. A bin is highly portable, has a wider FOV and is far more versatile than any scope. A scope is generally used for long range viewing in a stable setting. I use both but if forced to choose one I'd choose the all-purpose bin any day of the week. I view a scope as a wonderful luxury, not a necessity.

Get the 10X42 SV if you want to maintain your 10X viewing pleasure. I use a 10X50 SV along with a few 8X's and a 7X. We also have 50, 82 and 88mm scopes.

I second Pileatus' comments. They are very different tools that suit different purposes. Much depends on the type of birding you favour, of course, but most birders will likely spend much more time looking through binoculars. I very much agree with Pileatus that if I could only carry one I'd bring binoculars, and if money was tight I'd far rather have an excellent pair of binos and an average scope than vice versa. I have the use of my brother's ATM80 (his main binocular, incidentally, is the superb 8.5x42 EL.SV.FP) and have enjoyed some fantastic views through it, peregrines at the nest and on kills, etc., but it is indeed a wonderful luxury for what we do, whereas the binoculars are absolutely essential. A great pair of binoculars will not replace a scope - you will still use the scope for the same jobs - but you will almost certainly notice a difference between something like a SV and what you're currently using, a difference that may well result in you spending more time looking through binoculars, and enjoying it more.

Last edited:
I second Pileatus' comments. They are very different tools that suit different purposes. Much depends on the type of birding you favour, of course, but most birders will likely spend much more time looking through binoculars. I very much agree with Pileatus that if I could only carry one I'd bring binoculars, and if money was tight I'd far rather have an excellent pair of binos and an average scope than vice versa. I have the use of my brother's ATM80 (his main binocular, incidentally, is the superb 8.5x42 EL.SV.FP) and have enjoyed some fantastic views through it, peregrines at the nest and on kills, etc., but it is indeed a wonderful luxury for what we do, whereas the binoculars are absolutely essential. A great pair of binoculars will not replace a scope - you will still use the scope for the same jobs - but you will almost certainly notice a difference between something like a SV and what you're currently using, a difference that may well result in you spending more time looking through binoculars, and enjoying it more.

Very well said, and I agree with all of it.

TaffyClay, you’ve got a really nice scope already, so sure why not get a “lifer” binocular? I might suggest the 8.5 SV instead of the 10x, or second the 8x32 SV as suggested by Lee, but that’s mostly because I’ve never been a big fan of 10x. Lots of good stuff to choose from these days so look at Zeiss SF and Leica Noctovid as well.

In any case, and depending upon context, a good scope just kicks the butt of a bino so don’t worry about that.

I don’t consider a scope a “luxury.” Nor do I think binos and scopes serve “very different purposes.” They don’t do the same thing, of course, but it’s all called “birding” so in my book they generally go together. I could easily provide a dozen examples from the past month alone in which a scope either yielded a hugely improved view, or made all the difference period. It depends on context of course, but in the winter I’m often looking over distance and water, so there you go: get a scope. First example. A Eurasian Wigeon is not exactly a mega-rarity here in North America, but I am sure I wouldn’t have found it among a bunch of distant Americans a couple weeks ago without a scope. And I was also using the 8x32 SV at the time which would have been almost useless at that distance. A little Nikon ED 50, 27x kicked the Swaro to the curb in that case. Or—example two—a group of four birders discussing Tundra v. Trumpeter Swans. They really wanted Trumpeter, digging into their books, scratching their heads. “Look through the scope,” I said (Meopta 82mm this time). “And viola!! All Tundra.”

LOL. OK, slight exaggeration. They still had some trouble, but at least I could point out the differences (head shape, bill shape, NOT so much the yellow lores or lack thereof, etc.) that a pair of binos would leave you confused over until you really had the ID down. I could go on with examples, but I think the OP knows all this.

Often a scope, as with really good photography, is more about appreciating the aesthetic beauty of birds anyway. I think that’s about half of it. For me anyway.

So sure, get a nice pair of binos. You’ll use the heck out of them! Keep the scope of course. You’ll use that too.

TaffyClay, you’ve got a really nice scope already, so sure why not get a “lifer” binocular? I might suggest the 8.5 SV instead of the 10x, or second the 8x32 SV as suggested by Lee, but that’s mostly because I’ve never been a big fan of 10x. Lots of good stuff to choose from these days so look at Zeiss SF and Leica Noctovid as well.

In any case, and depending upon context, a good scope just kicks the butt of a bino so don’t worry about that.

I don’t consider a scope a “luxury.” Nor do I think binos and scopes serve “very different purposes.” They don’t do the same thing, of course, but it’s all called “birding” so in my book they generally go together. I could easily provide a dozen examples from the past month alone in which a scope either yielded a hugely improved view, or made all the difference period. It depends on context of course, but in the winter I’m often looking over distance and water, so there you go: get a scope. First example. A Eurasian Wigeon is not exactly a mega-rarity here in North America, but I am sure I wouldn’t have found it among a bunch of distant Americans a couple weeks ago without a scope. And I was also using the 8x32 SV at the time which would have been almost useless at that distance. A little Nikon ED 50, 27x kicked the Swaro to the curb in that case. Or—example two—a group of four birders discussing Tundra v. Trumpeter Swans. They really wanted Trumpeter, digging into their books, scratching their heads. “Look through the scope,” I said (Meopta 82mm this time). “And viola!! All Tundra.”

LOL. OK, slight exaggeration. They still had some trouble, but at least I could point out the differences (head shape, bill shape, NOT so much the yellow lores or lack thereof, etc.) that a pair of binos would leave you confused over until you really had the ID down. I could go on with examples, but I think the OP knows all this.

Often a scope, as with really good photography, is more about appreciating the aesthetic beauty of birds anyway. I think that’s about half of it. For me anyway.

So sure, get a nice pair of binos. You’ll use the heck out of them! Keep the scope of course. You’ll use that too.

^^^^^THIS!!

Really comes down to what your preference is and how you use your scope or binoculars.

For convenience its hard to beat the swarovski 8x32 and as others have recommended i would strongly recommend these over 10x or anything larger, especially if you already have a scope. Everyone is different, after years of using many binoculars i have found that any gain i obtain from using a larger binoculars hand held is simply lost by not being able to hold them steady enough. Any larger and a tripod or monopod makes a huge difference. Even mono pod with the 8x32 makes a huge difference in the detail you can see and massively reduces fatigue.

If i am going to use a tripod with binoculars then i almost think why not get the scope out, but then the down side of the scope is one eyed viewing which i just don't find comfortable. If you want to view detail for extend periods nothing is going to match a scope on a decent tripod especially if your subject is at distance.

Last edited:
Another option is to get the Canon 10x42L IS stabilized binoculars.

Someone should invent paired binoculars an scopes on a motorized mount, where the scope follows the binocular using some sort of accelerometer and wireless communications...

From my point of view your better off with a 15x56 pair of bins...It gives a more natural view for your eyes without loosing the power of a scope ....Alternatively keep the scope and get a pair of 8x32 ELs......There an awesome compliment to your scope ..

Cheers Tim.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back