• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod and head advice please (1 Viewer)

Yes that would be bad news - Does the 501 have a safety catch ?

I think the 701 can be firmly crossed off the list.

Robert

I have to say I think it's very unlikely that the 701rc2 QR latch will be dislodged if it has been engaged fully... it's just possible with scope use, as these get some rough treatment being dragged through undergrowth, but you'd hope photographers would be a touch more careful with a dslr+lens atop their tripod.

The 501 has a spring loaded safety button that needs depressing before the QR plate can slide off (the QR plate is held on the head by a clamp system)

If you can run to the extra cost of the 501 then go for it I have this head & it`s a well engineered rock solid head.

Cheers Steve.

postcardcv said:
I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you go for the 055/128, it is a great set up.

One advantage of the 128 head over the 701, is that it has a safety catch for the qr plate. You need to turn the safety catch before you can turn the main lever to free the qr plate. The 701 does not have this feature and I have heard of incidents where the qr lever has caught on a branch and opened, the scope/camera has then fallen off the head...

I would agree, I modified my QR plate for the 701 with an angle grinder and have not had any problem since then, but probably not eveyones solution?

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=25254

Jim

With the aid of a BF member I have managed to source a very good condition secondhand 055 Nat and 128rc for £100. I bolted the camera on last night and it is streets better than my wobbly £40 Velbon. If the weather is fair at the weekend then it's off to get some shots with it. Weight is not a big issue with me as I'll either sling it in the back of the estate or I can carry as most of my patch is within 1/2 mile of home. If I ever get around to saving up enough for a bigger 400,500 or 600 f4 lens then I know the 501 head is the one to get.

I would like to thank you all ( especially Postcard and Andy ) for taking the time to guide me through the Manfrotto Tripod and head maze.

Again many thanks Robert

Glad to hear that you've got yourself a tripod - it's a good set up that I'm sure will give you years of service and a good price too...

I'm currently looking into adding a sliding plate system to my 128 head, for use when digiscoping or using a long lens and tc, will let you know if it works.

I've got the 141RC which I love, on the 055 which I think puts you into unecessary survival situations because of its weight. Just in case this helps anyone who's reading this thread later.

And the safety catch on the 128 would be a real clincher for me if I was in the market. I have had the 128 for years, it has seen some pretty rough treatment getting snagged in all sorts of vegetation. I am sure my scope would have fallen off on more than one occassion if it had not been for the safety. I also often let the locals look through the scope, they have the habit of trying the plate release to adjust the scope:))))

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back