• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (36 Viewers)

Pishing

Following recent comments on the above art (sic), I recommend the book whose pic is attached.

Most helpfully, it includes a CD, with recordings of both bird and animal sounds and the author's 'versions', in addition to useful photographs of the different lip positions required to produce the effects. Also, the philosophy and psychology behind these.

Needless to say, some of the suggestions are tongue-in-cheek. This, of course, could be yet another technique !

It is currently available from a well-known internet book provider.

Without the assiduous practice, for many hours, of one of these sibillances, my photo of the Eyeless Firecrest (submission as new species to the BOURC pending) in Wells would not have been possible.

Attachments

• pish.jpg
    pish.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 46
Good book

Following recent comments on the above art (sic), I recommend the book whose pic is attached.

Pete Dunn also wrote one of the best bird books I have ever read: 'The feather quest' (I have seen it with a different cover here in the UK)

I defy anybody who reads the Cape May fall-out chapter not to be moved!

Dave

Attachments

• feather quest.JPG
    feather quest.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 761
Several references to the large movement of House Martins on September 22nd it seems. I don't know what sort of numbers were passing here (if any) as I didn't get as far as the cliffs that day, but at Hunstanton Cliffs, in a watch from 10am - 1:30pm , GH logged an impressive 5,691 passing south. Details here...

James

Small fall of common migrants (whitethroat, wiff wabblers) and probable 3 tree sparrows near the saltings at Holme this morning. Later on seven common buzzards kettling east over the village with one or two sparrowhawks. Not much offshore.

Another good week in Norfolk

Just spent a week in your great county and despite the wind switching direction i managed to gain 4 lifers in the shape of Glossy Ibis,Spotted Crake,Red Necked Phalarope and Ortolan Bunting (ok it was in Suffolk but close enough)

Would have liked to have got some sea watching in but you can't win them all.

Highlight apart from the above 4 birds was watching 25+ Stone Curlews at there migration jump off point......1st time i have seen one fly or heard there call.

Low point was having to put a rabbit out of its misery in Waxham dunes...i guess it had Myxomatosis by its red eyes.|=(|

My apologies to the following people:

Sue Bryan....met you at Stiffkey Barns but didn't know it was you till you had gone.Hope you managed to find the Sandhill Crane the next day.

Stu_White....you were in Bishops hide at Cley on Friday and called the Water Rail but again it wasn't till later i found out it was you.

And lastly Irene Boston.....can't remember where you were but i know i saw you.

I would have said hello to all of you properly if i had known.

Last edited:
Horsey Gap: Birding for a couple of hours with the girls this morning revealed three Wheatears, a couple of Chiffs, Willows and Blackcaps. Also, several skeins of Pinks landing in fields inland near Horsey Mere somewhere. Also, superb views of grey seals cavorting in the breakers and a couple of small coppers in the dunes.
Talking of myxi rabbits, the warden at East Wretham NWT said to leave them as any individual could be the one carrying resistance and might recover. If we kill them, bang goes the chances of the resistant genes being passed on. Horrible to see them suffering though I admit.
Cheers

Horsey Gap: Birding for a couple of hours with the girls this morning revealed three Wheatears, a couple of Chiffs, Willows and Blackcaps. Also, several skeins of Pinks landing in fields inland near Horsey Mere somewhere. Also, superb views of grey seals cavorting in the breakers and a couple of small coppers in the dunes.
Talking of myxi rabbits, the warden at East Wretham NWT said to leave them as any individual could be the one carrying resistance and might recover. If we kill them, bang goes the chances of the resistant genes being passed on. Horrible to see them suffering though I admit.
Cheers

Oh no........i felt bad when i did it but assumed i was doing it a favour but now i feel really awful.:eek!::eek!:

Cheers

Hi Jono

I did Horsey also today - didn't see you, but didn't get there til about 10ish. Little of note except c3500 Pinkfeet and a couple of porpoises, plus one Chiff, about 30 Mipits south and one Skylark. In the afternoon, a Little Stint at Rush Hills along with 40 Ruff, 10 Dunlin, 2 Blackwits, one Curlew and 530 Teal.

Cheers

Andy

MUCH better day than yesterday plus year tick!

Was going to leave in the dark, but realised when I went to turn car headlights on that neither front headlights were working, after yesterday's accident, so had to wait until light to leave!

Arrived Cley NWT just before 8am and joined a few other early birders on the path just before Bishop's Hide to watch the Spotted Crake on and off creeping through the reeds up to 8.15am. Thank you to Stuart who let me look through his scope when I first arrived!:t:

Re-parked my battered:-C car in East Bank carpark and started walking along East Bank. The musical chorus of Bearded Tits all the way along was awesome, the most I have ever seen and heard in one hit! I stopped counting in the end!!! Couple of Cetti's Warblers singing. On Arnold's Marsh, several black tailed godwits, redshanks, cormorants, wigeon, dunlin, 1 curlew sandpiper, 3 snipe, 6 little egrets, 1 grey heron. Looked at the sea, nothing much doing. Walked east as far as the Sea Pool along the top ridge. Lots of pipits flying about and feeding along the shingle ridge - had a possible Richard's Pipit, very large, upright stance, streaky breast, in the long grass bank that runs along the bottom of the shingle, from the top ridge, but did not call it in as not sure and it was a very brief view (had a look on the way back, but nothing - not far east, of north end of east bank). 8 Snowbunting at 9.45am on the beach flying west just before the Sea Pool. On the Sea Pool: 5 ringed plovers, 3 dunlin, redshanks, little egret, 1 black tailed godwit, teal. Several flocks of approx 20+ linnets flew west. 2 Wheatears at 10.30am on the shingle ridge between sea pool and Arnold's. 18 Snowbuntings flew west at 11am across Arnold's Marsh. 1 Red Throated Diver on sea at 11am. Water Rail squealing in reeds along the East Bank at 11.20am.

Walsey Hills 12pm - Nothing here apart from a wren and a rat clambering about together in a bush! in one of the net rides. Chris Mills was doing some scrub clearance at the top.

Muckleborough Hill 1pm - Nothing much either really apart from 1 Chiffchaff and a robin in an oak which eventually appeared after lots of 'pishing' - a tit flock of blue, great and long tailed but nothing else with them that I could pick up, 2 jays and 2 kestrels.

Kelling Water Meadows 1.45pm - Only walked as far as the 5-bar gate - lovely and sunny now and quite a few general birds about, great and blue tits, chaffinches, several robins, but STILL nothing special!

Cley NWT 2.45pm - Had another look for the Spotted Crake - thinking that it might be on show in the sunshine for my camera:-O but no luck! Waders from Bishop's hide all looked spectacular in the sunshine. A male marsh harrier landed on the one of the islands momentarily. On the way back along the path a kingfisher shot across and there was a little grebe in the dyke just before I crossed the road.

Blakeney - House on the Hill - quick look here, nothing doing. Slowly, sadly made my way along the coast road to parents to show them the state of my car - father pointed out that it would stop me twitching (not having a car) to which he did not get a brilliant response! Had to go back to King's Lynn early - still in sunshine (against all my rules) and collect heavy items that I will not be able to get after Monday with no car:-C and also had to get home before dark as lights not working.

Cancelled shift in morning to empty, sort my car before it disappears in a puff of smoke on Monday (thats what it feels like!) AND back to work on Monday!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Great Cricked Back Gall

At least Penny's able to venture out in the daylight.

I've been largely confined to bed since yesterday morning (just before I was about to go Craking at Cley), having badly wrenched my back.

Hope to start having it sorted out in the morning.

Please, anyone, don't find anything much better than the above, if you can help it ! Being indoors in this wonderful weather is bad enough.

Not in Norfolk. But i did want to share the fact that i saw 4 Glossy Ibis in flight from the train coming back from London to Norfolk this morning. Just south of Ely.
Not quite how i was planning to find a BBRC species this year!
:t:

As expected the VisMig watch was quiet, although it did provide one of the best birds of the weekend, a flyby Richards Pipit. Shame it did`nt decide to pitch in for a while. In complete contrast the (attached) juv. Bar-tailed Godwit is now into its 3rd week on Sheringham seafront, quite a strange sight to see it strutting about the cobbles & for the most part oblivious to people.

Attachments

• DSC07132.JPG
    DSC07132.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 80
Titchwell sanderling

This sanderling was present on Titchwell RSPB beach on 15th May 2009 and just 4 days later was seen again in Iceland.
The very same sanderling has been seen again in the last few days at Titchwell and Snettisham.
Many thanks to Chris Kelly for this information and the excellent image.

Dave

Attachments

• email DSCN1889-1.JPG
    email DSCN1889-1.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 95
This sanderling was present on Titchwell RSPB beach on 15th May 2009 and just 4 days later was seen again in Iceland.
The very same sanderling has been seen again in the last few days at Titchwell and Snettisham.
Many thanks to Chris Kelly for this information and the excellent image.

Dave

Bet he is the envy of his mates with all that ankle bling ;)
Fascinating movements though. Although in Suffolk, one of the Boyton Ibis trio was from Donana. Wonder where the Norfolk birds are from.
Cheers,
Jim.

I should imagine they are all from Donana. Its seems that quite a few moved north at the end of the summer (re the flock in Ireland). Whether these birds are part of that original group that has now split up i dont know. Anybody with any idea of how many are around the British Isles & Ireland at the moment ?

Evening everyone,

Just back this evening from three days in North Norfolk - Sat to Mon - highlights as follows.

Saturday

Two Firecrests in the woods on Saturday, the first halfway between Wells and Lady Anne'sDrive near a brown bench with a tit flock. The 2nd west of Joe Jordan hide that seemed to be doing its own thing.

Sunday

Kelling Village - Kelling Hard - Salthouse Beach - Meadow Lane back to kelling

Quiet except for Stonechat/Kingfisher/Wheatear and two Summer plumage Red Throated Divers on the sea off the beach car park.

East Bank Cley mid afternoon til dusk.

Same as Penny, lots of Bearded Tits pinging away in the reeds, seeing them well is a different matter !! Plenty of waders to work through on Arnolds Marsh with Spotted Redshank/Greenshank/Dunlin/single Curlew Sandpiper/Black Tailed Godwits/single Sanderling all in the mix. Snow Bunting on the shingle bank with a Wheatear then onto sea pool that had a Dunlin/3 Bar Tailed Godwit/10Redshank. Unfortunately on the beach behind sea pool is a dead Harbour Porpoise (i think). The walk back down the East Bank in the gloom produced three different Water Rails squealing.

Monday

Burnham Overy Staithe to beach and back

One for the locals, the large reed fringed pool to the east of the bank on the Holkham side looks really good for a rare wader in the next few weeks. Keep checking it and hoepfully somebody will strike gold. Its now very shallow (and freshwater) with some great muddy edges/islands. This p.m it was nicknamed the 'id
training pool' by my Girlfriend as she worked her way through double figured numbers of Dunlin in all stages of moult /Black Tailed Godwits /Green Sandpiper/Snipe/ single Curlew Sandpiper/Geenshank/moulting Wigeon, Teal, Shoveler / a very showy Water Rail on the North side of the pool, all i'd by herself. Not bad saying she couldn't split a Great Tit from a Blue Tit two years ago. On to the beach where a couple of Snow Bunting creeped round the edge of the dunes and a steady trickle of Gannets headed East (a constant theme of looking at the sea this weekend most being Juveniles ) Always good to see them stall then plunge into the sea before carrying on their way.

Nothing amazing but a great weekend.

Best Wishes

Steve

Last edited:
These Glossy Ibis are indeed Spanish birds, mostly ringed this spring. One of the Norfolk birds was colour-ringed NJF, which was also one of the large group of birds seem at Pembrey, southwest Wales, in early September.

Mark Grantham
BTO Ringing Scheme

A short walk at Caistor St Edmund this morning produced one Glossy Ibis flying south towards Stoke Holy Cross - I suspect it had been flushed from the river by the cowfield by the NW corner of the roman fort.

I then had a quick look near Stoke Holy Cross mill, where no ibis but the pleasing sight of a Red Kite mobbed by a flock of corvids, flying north.

Cheers

Andy Mus.

Just spent a week in your great county and despite the wind switching direction i managed to gain 4 lifers in the shape of Glossy Ibis,Spotted Crake,Red Necked Phalarope and Ortolan Bunting (ok it was in Suffolk but close enough)

My apologies to the following people:

Sue Bryan....met you at Stiffkey Barns but didn't know it was you till you had gone.Hope you managed to find the Sandhill Crane the next day.

Hi Mark

Nice to meet you. Glad you enjoyed Norfolk! Yes I got to Orkney in time to see the Sandhill Crane and met some lovely helpful locals up there. However the bird seems to be flying south towards Norfolk as we speak! We may all get it as a Norfolk tick yet!!!!!!!;)

Last edited:

parked my battered:-C car in East Bank carpark
Cancelled shift in morning to empty, sort my car before it disappears in a puff of smoke on Monday (thats what it feels like!) AND back to work on Monday!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Penny,
So sorry to hear about your car - glad you're OK. That must have been a rotten experience. Hope your insurance company comes through with flying colours, and you don't have to wait too long.

In the meantime - dare I suggest a bike? Norfolk's nice and flat, and if the weather's reasonable, at least you can get out and about.

Best wishes,
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back