• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (25 Viewers)

I have seen a sign !

“And, lo, it came to passe that there was not but a solitary one, but, forsooth, twain had appeared, as if from the Heavenes, and stoode faste on The Shingelle.”

A welcome novelty at Salthouse Beach car park- where they may forestall the feckless from driving up, down & around the bank for fun.

Another new sight was the Barwit below, which had strayed from its flock, further into the field, and was feeding in the drain-off from the brackish pool, just west of Gramboro’. I do not usually see them here.

To conclude the religious theme of the post: news received in the afternoon at the Cley NWT Visitor Centre might indicate that the Sacred Ibis is back. It was reported as being in the vicinity of Arnold’s Marsh.

Oh ! all ye invertebrates, be afraid, be very afraid !

Attachments

• 014pse.jpg
    014pse.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 237
  • 019pse.jpg
    019pse.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 172
Shock ! Horror ! Exclusive ! North Norfolk Birder In Drug Scandal ?

When I woke this morning, still groggy after a heavily-sedated sleep, I was immediately struck by the thought that I’d mis-ID’d yesterday’s Barwit as a Blackwit in my drugged state last night, following a most painful dental procedure. I continue to throb, but was glad to see, on checking, that my wits had not been adversely affected in this manner.

It might be worth saying that drivers who have taken their vehicles (usually 4x4s) up on to the shingle bank and/or towards the Little Eye (I’ve seen one actually ON it) or Gramboro’, and have had this drawn to the attention of the National Trust, have received a subsequent visit from the police. A repeat offence, apparently, would attract a fine- not an attractive prospect.

My entreaties for hush (It. Omertà) to descend on the user-name topic obviously had little effect. At least, the furore now seems to have abated.

Paul’s irritation is evident:
Why no report, frustrating I have been in the office all day!
It’s a shame the reappearance of the Baird’s was unable to be communicated to HQ at Titchwell with expedition.

Many thanks for the link young Roberto; in case it's been missed, Cley Bird Club now have their website up and running. This too will be of great interest to not only Norfolk based birders, but many visiting ones as well.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the link young Roberto; in case it's been missed, Cley Bird Club now have their website up and running. This too will be of great interest to not only Norfolk based birders, but many visiting ones as well.

Thats Good pat. If it is is good as there news letters it should be well worth looking at. Weather map for the weekend sure looks better than the recent westerly airflow.;)

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-MSW-Surf-Charts/1/?imageScale=wind&size=750&chartType=WMAG&zero

Titchwell September 21st

Today’s highlights

Pectoral sandpiper – juv on fresh marsh but elusive at times
Jack snipe – 1 in flight from Parrinder Hide @11:30 but no further sign
Spotted redshank – 2 on fresh marsh
Red necked grebe – juv offshore
Garganey – 1 on fresh marsh from Parrinder Hide
Eider – 2 offshore

Paul

Thanks for the link.

One thing I have noticed from having a look is that several description species have been added since the last list was published in the Bird & Mammal Report 2010, including Caspian Gull. Adding species without making the fact that they now require a description widely known (unless I missed a memo ;)) could mean some records not gaining official recognition. Of course now there is the website it solves that problem, and I look forward to the regular WIP files

[Edit] Aquatic Warbler in Great Yarmouth Cemetery sounds interesting.

Just seen this link on Twitter...

@BritishBirder: @RareBirdAlertUK @britishbirds Plse RT. The new Norfolk Records Committee website is launched today. http://t.co/7SMo4v0v Feel free to look.

Last edited:
Halcyon days!

I can't remember the last time I visited Strumpshaw and failed to see a Kingfisher!
Better today, though, was a flock of fifty+ Bearded Tits: they've obviously had a good breeding season!

Attachments

• KF Facebook best.jpg
    KF Facebook best.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 68
  • BESTEST 2.jpg
    BESTEST 2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 61
  • BT good.jpg
    BT good.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 52
  • BT MALE.jpg
    BT MALE.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 65
  • BT BEST.jpg
    BT BEST.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 61

Cheers Uncle P!

No joy with this RBFly yet! Still hoping tho...

First light start for the next couple of days me thinks!

I'll get it from my work website and pass it on some time today - it was a temporary name whilst being set up, but I'm sure its now gone live, bear with me folks. Thanks.

bear with me folks

I would, Pat, but I don’t have a photo of your parents !

I now recall an interesting comment made by one of the dog-walkers, who’d been puzzled over the ID of the Barwit on Thursday. She said that the whole area (Salthouse Beach car park to Gramboro’) was ‘a disgrace’- describing the degree of doggie doo-doo downloaded and not directly disposed of by the more responsible dog-owners.

A local birder was more succinct: “It’s like a minefield around here!” It’s just as well the ‘objects’ do not explode.

Attachments

• bear.gif
    bear.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 51
FTJ, it was a bit early in the day for me to post, though it's a pretty good look a like. The C.B.C. website is being tweaked and should go live in the first week of October so need to be patient please, sorry for the inadvertent tease, guilty of jumping the lights . But also with due courtesy to those who have worked hard and set up the site.

Pat

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back