• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (4 Viewers)

As a newcomer to the area and indeed scotland could you kindly tell me where the Lomands are.
Thanks Malcolm

The main car park for the lomond hills is on an unclassified road between Leslie and Falkland. The hills are sign-posted from both sides, though the signs can be quite easy to miss. (I normally go in from the Leslie side, and the road is a gap between 2 big buildings, so quite easy to miss)
As Woodchatshrike mentions, they are the highest points in Fife. East Lomond is 424m high and West Lomond is 522m high. You don't have to climb them, though. There are plenty of paths around and through the hills.

Since you are new to the area, feel free to send me a PM if you want more info on good sites in Fife... I'm sure anyone here would be happy to help, too.

I went to Cullaloe today to fill up the feeders, and things are definitely starting to get interesting there.

On the loch we had Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, Tufted Duck, Shelduck (A pair, first sighting of them at Cullaloe this year), Little Grebe, Mute Swan and Grey Heron

There were all the usual suspects elsewhere on the reserve. We had Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch and Robin at the feeders, Wren, Dunnock, Blackbird, Long-tailed Tit, Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow, Magpie and Buzzard elsewhere on the reserve, but most importantly, i first saw, then heard my first Chiffchaff of the year! Hopefully this heralds the arrival of all the warbler species to the reserve in the next few weeks!

I had a quick stop at Cullaloe on Saturday just at dusk. Did not see anything of note and did'nt see the Shelduck but did see what looked like a watervole in the ponds in the carpark. Are they seen there often? There appeared to be a lot of chewed vegetation around the ponds near the car park. I did'nt inspect the area very well because it was getting dark.

OOHHH

We used to have a water vole colony on the reserve, but we thought they were killed off back in 2001 by Mink predation. We've been trapping most years for the mink since then, though. I thought i saw one run across the path near the main loch last year, but we've not had any confirmed sightings.
Definitely worth taking a closer look. I'm meeting the boss and someone from the council there tomorrow, so i'll definitely mention it to them

Thanks for that.

Hi Northernbirder and welcome.

There's loads of places... I'll just give a few:

Vane Farm and various other bits of Loch Leven (notably by the Churchyard at Kinross)

The Eden Estuary (see Edenwatchers Patch Report)

Fife Ness for sea watching and a migrant hotspot

Tentsmuir Forest and Morton Lochs

Tay Estuary at Tayport

ummm there's many others but I'll let the 'locals' have a go.

If you fancy any of these and want directions just give a shout.

D

Vane Farm is a great place to go. I did a year list which ended with a total of 133 birds, 29 of which I saw at Vane Farm. You could go there every day and not get bored.

Michael

Hi again

Have a look here in Opus, it will give you a fair idea.

Most of the winter visitors will have left but the summer migrants should be around.

D

I hav'nt been out on the Loch much this weekend but there was a fine Drake LT Duck from the cemetry at Kirkgate on Friday evening. This was a Loch yeartick for me. This coincided with what appeared to be a huge influx of Goldeneye with 300+ in the Bay alone. There are also lots of Sand Martins about now. There have also been a good amount of Chiff-chaff singing. I am normally lucky to hear one a year around the NNR but I have heard at least 8 birds this year in all corners of the Loch including the islands. There has also been a heavy passage of Meadow Pipits with flocks heading north or grounded around the resereve and surrounding farmland.

There was a Drake Scaup last night from the Kirkgate cemetry. Many of the Goldeneye have dissappeared.

The good run of birds continues with Little-ringed Plover at Vane (4th record for Loch) and differant adult Greenland-fronted Goose just south of Kinross.

Anybody seen a Black Swan near Burliegh Sands,I saw something unusual in the field next to the sands,and wondered what it was,just to be told later it was a Black Swan !!!
Regards
Joe.

The Little Ringed Plover was on the flood at Vane Farm at lunchtime on Wednesday. There was also a large number of Sand Martins beside the River Leven, several Reed Buntings and a Great Spotted Woodpecker making a tremendous racket by drumming on the metal cap of a telephone pole.

A very pleasant day at Vane Farm; even the coffee was good.

Michael

The coffee is fantastic in there! Fair trade organic. Nice work. If you work hard looking at Wagtails you can find the odd White around the loch. The Black-throated diver is still around somewhere. It seems to go missing for days.

Still an lots of Chiff-chaffs singing and the odd swallow pushing through. Never heard as many Chiff-chaffs here as I have this year. At least 15 singing.

Still the great run continues, hot on the heels of last weeks Todd's Canada a Ross's Goose was seen at Vane farm. It is 600 metres west of the centre at NT147987. My forth since I've been here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back