• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Monopod + head for a 500mm lens? (1 Viewer)

Austin Thomas

Hi all,

To date, I use a Gitzo 1548 tripod and a Wimberley head to support my Canon 500mm lens. It is a great combination when there is space and time to set it up properly. Ideal if I know what I'm going to photograph.

I am now looking for a monopod and head combination that is a little more portable and quicker to set up. When I stray off the paths I want something a little easier to carry and quicker to set up whilst on the move.

If you have any recommendations / experience I'd be very interested to know.

Thanks

Austin

Hello Austin

I use the Gitzo 1325 & Kirk King Cobra head for my Canon 500mm & have purchased the Gitzo 1588 monopod which I can recommend, However I am still looking for a suitable head for it which will take the load

There's an interesting article at www.reallyrightstuff.com/tutorials/monopods/MonopodSolution.pdf on a head but it's still not up to the load of the 500mm + camera body but the idea is good, I'm trying to find a heavy duty swivel to attach a Kirk plate to but without success so far

Regards Bish. :t:

I've just (today) for a Manfrotto 679 monopod with a 486 ball head for my Sigma 500 f4.5... the is set up will hold upto 8kg so would be fine with the Canon too. It really isn't anything flash, but will do the job of supporting my camera and lens when I'm not using a tripod and at ~£80 it's not an overly expensive option.

Hi Austin,

I use a Manfrotto 234RC Monopod QR Tilt Top, this works great for me. I hang a Nikon 500mm f/4 AF-S + Nikon D2hs. The good thing about this head is that it will tilt freely in 1 axis, forward and backwards, the knob allows it to be loose locked or anything in-between. The quick release is excellent as well. This is similar to what Bish suggested.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/2376

Cheers

Nick

Last edited:
The Manfrotto 234 would be ideal if it would take more than the 2.5kg max weight but as the Canon 500mm + 1DmkIIN weigh in at 5.43kg I dont think I'll risk it!

It's a pity they don't make a heavier duty version |:(|

Regards Bish.

Keith Reeder said:
Hi Bish,

don't forget that Nick's 400mm f/4 and D2hs will be around the same weight as your kit, and it works for him..!

;)

Hello Keith

I know it will work but I wouldn,t be happy exeeding the max load by that much

I may get a friend who's a marine engineer to make me a custom one out of 316 Stainless steel along the same lines as the Manfrotto 234 but stronger

Yeah, that's a funny one, Denis - it's clearly a great head, but I don't think anyone really thinks of it as a monopod head except Manfrotto!

;)

I am thinking or getting this tripod head for use with a canon 500 does anybody use this head with a monopod and how do you rate it. Also does any one use this with a scope as i would like this as an option.

Ragna said:
I am thinking or getting this tripod head for use with a canon 500 does anybody use this head with a monopod and how do you rate it. Also does any one use this with a scope as i would like this as an option.

I've got a 2nd hand Manfrotto 393 head coming to use with my monopod & 500 Canon, I'll let you know how I get on

I think it's a better bet than the Indian made gimbal head you're looking at on ebay!

Bish said:
I've got a 2nd hand Manfrotto 393 head coming to use with my monopod & 500 Canon, I'll let you know how I get on

I think it's a better bet than the Indian made gimbal head you're looking at on ebay!

I'm interested too Bish.

The 100-400 gets more of a run out than the 500 does and I'm hoping a monopod + suitable head will reverse that situation.

I await your findings with interest.

Best regards,

Austin

Austin Thomas said:
I'm interested too Bish.

The 100-400 gets more of a run out than the 500 does and I'm hoping a monopod + suitable head will reverse that situation.

I await your findings with interest.

Best regards,

Austin

I also have the 100-400 & this is my most used lens due to the low weight & compact size

Recently the 500 is getting used more but the weight of tripod/head/500/1.4x/& camera body is a bit of a killer on my usual 6-10mile route

The weekend before last I mounted it all on the Gitzo 1588 monopod without a head & walked over 10 miles without any fatigue so once the head is added I think this will be the ideal combination

Head is in the post so I should have it by the weekend

I'll keep you informed

I received the 393 head this morning & have mounted it on the Gitzo 1588 monopod with Canon 1DMKIIN & 500f4 IS attached

First impressions are:

Very easy to find the point of balance with the sliding QR plate

Lens will stay in at any angle with minimum fricton applied

Seems quite comfortable to carry on the shoulder (time will tell)

Factory set pan fricton seems fine (this is adjustable)

The whole setup is much lighter & managable that the Gitzo 1325 & King cobra head if I am walking any distance ( I would choose the tripod combo if I was setting up to stay in one location)

The overall build quality is excellent & it is made from aluminiumn NOT STEEL as stated another thread mentioning no names!

I hope to take it out later today if the weather improves & will let you know how it performs

Hi Bish,

Thanks for the information. Seems that you have found a suitable solution.

Out of interest, have you ever tried your King Cobra head on the Monopod or are they not "mechanically" compatible?

Regarding the QR plate. I use the ARCA style plates on the 500mm and 100-400mm lenses. Is the Manfrotto 393 compatible with these ARCA style plates?

Thanks for your feedback.

Austin

Austin Thomas said:
Hi Bish,

Thanks for the information. Seems that you have found a suitable solution.

Out of interest, have you ever tried your King Cobra head on the Monopod or are they not "mechanically" compatible?

Regarding the QR plate. I use the ARCA style plates on the 500mm and 100-400mm lenses. Is the Manfrotto 393 compatible with these ARCA style plates?

Thanks for your feedback.

Austin

Hello Austin

I have tried the King cobra on the monopod but it felt very awkward to carry & use

As for the 393 QR plate it's not ACRA compatible but I will probably remove it & fit it with a Kirk QR clamp as pictured, this will mean a bit of modification & drilling & tapping threads but will save me from having to switch plates on the lens every time I use the tripod

I will let you know how it performs if the weather lets me this weekend

Attachments

• QRC4.jpg
    QRC4.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 301
  • QRC4_b.jpg
    QRC4_b.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back