• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colour banded White-crowned Sparrow (1 Viewer)

phyllosc

Back in September '06, on a trip to California, I saw a White-crowned Sparrow with colour rings (bands). When I returned to the UK I emailed all of the details to an address I found via Dirk Raes CR-birding site for N American sightings.

Shortly after I got a reply from a gentleman at the US Geologcial Survey asking me for the numbers on the rings. In reply I said I did not see any numbers but would be surprised if there were any, considering the small sizes of the rings used. Since then I have heard nothing from the US Geological Survey.

Does anyone on Birdforum know where I may find contact details of the researchers running the scheme and I can pass on details of my sighting?

Dave Carr
Suffolk, UK

phyllosc said:
Does anyone on Birdforum know where I may find contact details of the researchers running the scheme and I can pass on details of my sighting?

Dave Carr
Suffolk, UK

Try calling the Banding Office in the USA and as about active colour banding projects for WCSP on the East Coast, even if it is a Canadian bird, the US Banding Office should be able to give you an idea.

Even if the band number was unobtainable, the observation itself will be of importance to the project leaders.

USGS from the UK would be 001-800-327-2263

I hope that is of some help. If you don't get anythig from them, then send me a PM and I'll see if there is anything I can do.

Peter Fearon

Hi Dave,

I made a call. Point Reyes BO (California) have been doing some colour banding of WCSP's, you might want to contact them through their site prbo.org and see if they have any more info for you.

Hope that helps.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back