• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

With the aforementioned Anniversary upon us, I couldn't risk lightening striking twice.
I arrived at 6am and made my way to the 1st Flash hide. On route the silence was deafening, apart from the soft churring of reed wablers in the scrub and a willow warbler in 'sub-song' ,it was eerily quiet. From the hide the soft mud around the southern shore of the 1st Flash held 2 green and 1 common sandpiper. (this area can hold waders when the 2nd Flash is dry - so try and check it out on route to the main hide). Moving on to the main hide a ringed plover called, from the hide I picked up 3 of them. The juv from previous days had been joined by 2 adults - these later flew off to the SW at 8.15. Although it had been raining in Redditch overnight, there hadn't been any here. However after Gert appeared the rain followed and was quite heavy, albeit of short duration. Small shallow pools quickly formed which were soon utilised by some of the 10 mixed flock of adult and juv green sands on site. Also on the wader front were Dunlin, common sand 2 (ad + juv), curlew 25, lapwing 50+, redshank juv. 9 Common terns were counted 3 ad and 3 juvs loafed on the mud whilst 3 other adults moved through to the south. With dark clouds forming to the east a flock of 10 swift hunted in front of them where there were also 40 or so house martins. Also recorded today were:- Mallard 500 (most in north field with 14 greylags where they fed on dropped seeds from the harvested crop, teal 7, 2 1st summer type Herring gulls, swallow hunting low over the pools, 2 Raven unusually both singularly, lesser whitethroat, blackcap, chiffchaff , 15 - 20 linnets with several juvs amongst them. 35 - 40 goldfinches. Generally passerine activity was poor, with the normally bustling hedgerow at the back of the hide almost lifeless. However the peak activity was centred on the 1st flash reedbed and hen brook, where good numbers of reed bunting and acro warblers as well as tits were evident. This area has to be 'scoped' but is traditionally good for whinchat, so try and give it a good 'grilling'. I get the impression that most of our warblers have left and this lull is a precursor to migrants arriving (hopefully) :smoke:

At this time migrant Sedge warblers should increase in the reed beds, where they feed on plum aphids, before moving on in a stages to the next reed bed. Unlike reed warblers, that will fatten up and migrate further, having less 'stop off's'.
Strangely there were only 7 birders other than Gert, Mark P and myself by 12pm, when Dave W arrived. Always remember Upton does this, it makes you think its dead and then it strikes. Early mornings are defo the best time.
B :)John

Last edited:
Brown Argus

I think this underwing shot shows the double-spot that Jase was alluding to.

Lots of Common Blues present in the same area today also.

Attachments

• Brown Argus UW 130811.jpg
    Brown Argus UW 130811.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 70
A series of photos from today the first 2 were taken from the 1st Flash hide looking over the 1st flash ..showing new areas of reed bed that are appearing all over the place. They also show the areas of mud, that should hold passage waders over the coming weeks if the 2nd Flash dries out.
pic 3 shows some of the 100's of ducks and geese in the north field.
pic 4 is a moth resting in the 1st flash hide.

Attachments

• 1 views from 1sr FL hide.jpg
    1 views from 1sr FL hide.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 2. views from 1st FL hide..jpg
    2. views from 1st FL hide..jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 57
  • wildfowl in north field.jpg
    wildfowl in north field.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 59
  • moth 1st FL hide.jpg
    moth 1st FL hide.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 62
I think this underwing shot shows the double-spot that Jase was alluding to.

Lots of Common Blues present in the same area today also.

That double-spot Dave is often likened to a colon, whereas on Common Blue the spots are sideways.

Des.

Summary for mid afternoon:

MOORS
4 Mute Swan, 13 Greylay Geese, 182 Canada Geese, female Pochard, 11 Tufted Duck (plus what appeared to be a fresh brood with 3 young), 2 Cormorant, 2 adult + 2 juv Common Tern, 5 Grey Heron, 5 GC Grebe, 6 Moorhen, 112 Coot, Swift, 20 Lapwing, Sparrowhawk, 19 LBB Gull, 1 Herring Gull.

FLASHES
1 Redshank (juv), 1 Ringed Plover (juv), 1 Dunlin (sum plum), 3 Common Sand, 7 Green Sand, 8 Curlew, 7 Moorhen, 58 Lapwing, 3 Teal, 2 Peregrines on the masts, increasing numbers of pigeons / doves / jackdaws.

The Trust have erected notices in the hides to annouce that the new Tower Hide at the Flashes will now be installed in mid October.

Great report John. People may say a bit quiet but still a good selection of waders, and my first Brown Argus today :-O. Plus what I learn't sitting in the hide with for a few hours with you guys..you cannot get that from a book :t:

Moth

A series of photos from today the first 2 were taken from the 1st Flash hide looking over the 1st flash ..showing new areas of reed bed that are appearing all over the place. They also show the areas of mud, that should hold passage waders over the coming weeks if the 2nd Flash dries out.
pic 3 shows some of the 100's of ducks and geese in the north field.
pic 4 is a moth resting in the 1st flash hide.

The moth looks like Copper Underwing rather than svensson's copper underwing, without looking at the underside of the hindwing.

Regards, John

Summary for mid afternoon:

MOORS
4 Mute Swan, 13 Greylay Geese, 182 Canada Geese, female Pochard, 11 Tufted Duck (plus what appeared to be a fresh brood with 3 young), 2 Cormorant, 2 adult + 2 juv Common Tern, 5 Grey Heron, 5 GC Grebe, 6 Moorhen, 112 Coot, Swift, 20 Lapwing, Sparrowhawk, 19 LBB Gull, 1 Herring Gull.

FLASHES
1 Redshank (juv), 1 Ringed Plover (juv), 1 Dunlin (sum plum), 3 Common Sand, 7 Green Sand, 8 Curlew, 7 Moorhen, 58 Lapwing, 3 Teal, 2 Peregrines on the masts, increasing numbers of pigeons / doves / jackdaws.

The Trust have erected notices in the hides to annouce that the new Tower Hide at the Flashes will now be installed in mid October.

Here is the aforementioned notice. I guess mid-October is better than their original plans to erect the hide in September. However, I don't really know why it should take 3 weeks to construct it. Gilleard erected a similar-sized 2-storey hide at Belvide in 3-4 days. I know what I think!:eek!:

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 97
Not much more to add about today, the roost didnt add up to much, Ringed Plover, Dunlin, 6+ Green sand, 2 common sand, 29 Curlew.
However a heavy object was thrown at the back of the hide (from the transmitter field), i have suspitions as to whom the coulprets were bu wont go into any detail on the fourum.
lets hope this behaviour doesnt comtinue with the new hide!
MB

Last edited:
Not much more to add about today, the roost didnt add up to much, Ringed Plover, Dunlin, 6+ Green sand, 2 common sand, 29 Curlew.
However a heavy object was thrown at the back of the hide (from the transmitter field) presumably by a couple of non birders who had been in the hide previously, im not sure about this claim but while in the hide i overheard the man and women talking about using the hide as a place to get drunk, and then they left, then oddly to re-appear and hour later at the start of the boardwalk, then turn around and head back followed a couple of minuites later by the object hitting the hide.
lets hope this behaviour doesnt comtinue with the new hide!
MB

Thanks MB - think we need to keep an eye out late evenings and early mornings. Fancy becoming a vol warden and selling them permits? ;)

I have just posted a picture of the 1996 2nd winter Laughing Gull that was present at Upton Warren on my new blog, feel free to give me your thoughts on this sought after regional bird.

I am not trying to grip the UW new-commers of course.

Great report John. People may say a bit quiet but still a good selection of waders, and my first Brown Argus today :-O. Plus what I learn't sitting in the hide with for a few hours with you guys..you cannot get that from a book :t:
nice one Mark and a good result for both our teams:t:

I have just posted a picture of the 1996 2nd winter Laughing Gull that was present at Upton Warren on my new blog, feel free to give me your thoughts on this sought after regional bird.

I am not trying to grip the UW new-commers of course.

Hi Martyn - fantastic new blog; always great to have someone with a real passion for regional birding. Nice to remenisce about some of the all time greats (although the Laughing Gull was the year before I started birding Upton :-C). I am sure if you cover Least Sand in the blog at some point John / Mike wouldnt mind if you used their memories as set out in earlier posts (just PM them).

Have PM'ed you a little bit more background on the Laughing Gull taken from "The Birds of Upton Warren 1968-2007" if you wish to use it.

Cheers
Phil

Last edited:
Also recorded today were:- Mallard 500 (most in north field with 14 greylags where they fed on dropped seeds from the harvested crop)

Hi John,

Dont know if you were aware but yesterday's count of 500 Mallard equalled the reserve record, also achieved at the end of August 1994, late August 1995 and again on 21st August 2000. If you had counted properly and found an extra bird the record would have been all yours!:-O

Phil

Hi Martyn - fantastic new blog; always great to have someone with a real passion for regional birding. Nice to remenisce about some of the all time greats (although the Laughing Gull was the year before I started birding Upton :-C). I am sure if you cover Least Sand in the blog at some point John / Mike wouldnt mind if you used their memories as set out in earlier posts (just PM them).

Have PM'ed you a little bit more background on the Laughing Gull taken from "The Birds of Upton Warren 1968-2007" if you wish to use it.

Cheers
Phil

1968-2008 Phil.

Des.

A Ruff is on the flashes this morning - my 136th species for the year. Juvenile Redshank and Dunlin still present.

Brian just informed me he had a Tree Pipit fly south west over the sailing centre earlier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back