• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Tecnar (1 Viewer)

rdmadison

Friends,

Take a look at the Tecnar on the Famous Bidding Site (8 Jan 2012). Looks like Vega-era construction and a black version of the 50's era pigskin case. Serial number without date or prefix. Is this the earliest appearance of Tecnar as a line? Note provenance: east side of the pond.

Too much for me, especially after shipping. Simon, are you on it?

Bob

Friends,

Take a look at the Tecnar on the Famous Bidding Site (8 Jan 2012). Looks like Vega-era construction and a black version of the 50's era pigskin case. Serial number without date or prefix. Is this the earliest appearance of Tecnar as a line? Note provenance: east side of the pond.

Too much for me, especially after shipping. Simon, are you on it?

Bob

Hi Bob,

I guess you're referring to the Tecnar 8x30, item #150732716930 ?

I haven't paid much attention to Tecnars, being Swift's German patterned Economy Range and so I guess Ed could throw more light on this because he owns several older catalogues. That said however it occurs to me that the Tecnars are not mentioned in the Swift USA catalogue from 1959, nor in its price list dated May 1 1960. Tecnars are listed however by Swift Pyser (UK) in a 1960's catalogue (don't know what year).

The interesting thing I see in the pictures is that there's no Swift bulls eye logo on the binoculars (yet?).

But now we're on Swifts as listed on the famous auction site anyway, what do you guys think of item # 200697963723 ? I think I've never seen this model before. What's more, I even doubt if it's a real Swift at all.

best regards,

Renze

I was referring to 260909266511, an 8x40. The one you mention, the 8x30, certainly carries over the engineering but the soft case looks about two decades newer. Of course, there's no guarantee that either case is original to that particular binocular. The 8x30 you spotted also has a simple serial number and a ratty black strap, making me think ITS soft case doesn't belong, either.

As for the "Swift Stadium," it seems really odd that the cross-hairs logo would appear on the case but not on the binocular for this modern an instrument. I share your skepticism--but, as always, remain ready to be educated.

I was referring to 260909266511, an 8x40. The one you mention, the 8x30, certainly carries over the engineering but the soft case looks about two decades newer. Of course, there's no guarantee that either case is original to that particular binocular. The 8x30 you spotted also has a simple serial number and a ratty black strap, making me think ITS soft case doesn't belong, either.

As for the "Swift Stadium," it seems really odd that the cross-hairs logo would appear on the case but not on the binocular for this modern an instrument. I share your skepticism--but, as always, remain ready to be educated.

I see. 8x30 and 8x40 Tecnar identical in appearance. Possibly Swift never used their bulls eye logo on the Tecnars?

With respect to the Stadium, my D-base informs me about three models: a 3x26 opera glass (model number 769), a 9x35 with no model number but a red ribbon to denote its mark I quality level (and so European issue) and a 10x50 I know nothing more about than its FoV (368 ft. at 1000 yds). So this is quite a mixed bag for the same model name already. I seriously doubt if there would be yet another Stadium with yet another configuration, but I have to admit that this possibility would be just as remarkable as a fake Swift. What's more, a fake Swift with an unmarketable configuration like 12x50. But, like you, I'm ready to learn.

Renze

The Stadium 9x35 I own is poor. Some Technar's are reasonable, others poor.
I owned (and sold) a pair of 10x50's nothing special but some like them

Hi Bob,

I guess you're referring to the Tecnar 8x30, item #150732716930 ?

I haven't paid much attention to Tecnars, being Swift's German patterned Economy Range and so I guess Ed could throw more light on this because he owns several older catalogues. That said however it occurs to me that the Tecnars are not mentioned in the Swift USA catalogue from 1959, nor in its price list dated May 1 1960. Tecnars are listed however by Swift Pyser (UK) in a 1960's catalogue (don't know what year).

The interesting thing I see in the pictures is that there's no Swift bulls eye logo on the binoculars (yet?).

But now we're on Swifts as listed on the famous auction site anyway, what do you guys think of item # 200697963723 ? I think I've never seen this model before. What's more, I even doubt if it's a real Swift at all.

best regards,

Renze

Hi Renze,

The model number (if it has one) is not shown on the cover plates of item 200697963723, and no bulls eye, as you said. So I doubt that it was sold in the US (note the auction is from the UK), and it doesn't show in my US catalogs.

S/N 87672 would suggest it was made in 1987, and I think the case may also be from that period. I have a similar blue case but can't locate the brochure for it. Swift and its agents did curious things over the years.

The German Z bodies were never Swift's better quality products as far as I know. But this one is armored like a Zeiss.

Ed

Last edited:
Well, it would appear that the STADIUM was a Swift Anderson series dating back to 1930-31, at a time (I believe) that precedes the use of the Swift bulls eye. It's not evident how long the series was marketed, so many other configurations may have been sold after those shown here. They also included opera glasses in the STADIUM series.

Keep your eyes peeled for an old Boy Scout binocular made by a French firm back in the day. ;), altho it's not a STADIUM.

Ed

Attachments

• S&A 1930 STADIUM.pdf
    380.6 KB · Views: 240
And here is a 1966 Pyser-Britex listing for the economy series TechnaR lineup.

Attachments

• Swift TechnaR 1966 Pyser.pdf
    146.6 KB · Views: 485
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back