• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida Feeders (1 Viewer)

snowyowl

I have two feeders up plus a birdbath. I'm getting Carolina Chickadees; Tufted Titmice; Northern Cardinals; Red-bellied Woodpeckers; Carolina Wrens. Mourning Doves and White-throated Sparrows on the ground under the feeders. Once in a while American Goldfinches and American Tree Sparrows show up.
Gray Catbirds are using the birdbath regularly.
Not an impressive list. There are Blue Jays around but unlike up north, they never come to the feeders.
It is getting warm here so I will probably have to take the feeders down because the bears will be getting much more active.

Dan! So good to see you back and hope you are doing well guy!

I've got the same visitors except for a rarely seen Tree Sparrow.

I am fortunate to have Downy Woodpeckers, Pileated Woodpeckers hitting up my suet feeders and checking out some trees for the upcoming breeding season.

I have two feeders up plus a birdbath. I'm getting Carolina Chickadees; Tufted Titmice; Northern Cardinals; Red-bellied Woodpeckers; Carolina Wrens. Mourning Doves and White-throated Sparrows on the ground under the feeders. Once in a while American Goldfinches and American Tree Sparrows show up.
Gray Catbirds are using the birdbath regularly.
Not an impressive list. There are Blue Jays around but unlike up north, they never come to the feeders.
It is getting warm here so I will probably have to take the feeders down because the bears will be getting much more active.

The common sparrow at feeders in Florida is the Chipping Sparrow. American Tree Sparrows are extremely rare in the State (just three records ever). You can increase diversity with jelly feeders (orioles), hummingbird feeders, suet feeders, mealworms, etc. If there is a Wild Birds Inc., in your area they can help you with feed and feeders. In Gainesville, I have your noted species, along with eight regular Baltimore Orioles, a wintering Rose-breasted Grosbeak, a Painted Bunting , etc.

Andy

unfortunately the local wildlife would be attracted to jelly or suet feeders even more than to sunflowers. Juniper Prairie is closed down to the public because of the high bear activity and that is only a few miles down the road from us. I will probably have to take my feeders down shortly. As soon as we start seeing bear activity, the feeders need to come down.

My feeders are going to be taken down at night for the next little while. There is a naval bombing range not too far away and there are going to be bombing exercises this week. We have been warned that the bombs will cause wildlife to be on the move more than is usual. No sense in inviting trouble so I'll remove temptation from the bears and raccoons.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back