• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Now I've picked your brains... (1 Viewer)

Boz

...over the last few days, I've just placed an order for my first ever spotting scope.

All the threads were extremely helpful in helping me to decide and I've plumped for a package of the Pentax PF-80ED, with 8-24 XL zoom eyepiece, plus the PF-CA35 camera adapter to use with an existing Pentax *ist-D camera (or K10D if I can ever wrest it from the good lady).

I've also added in the 14mm XW eyepiece for good measure, as the various Pentax specific posts highlighted this as a good EP to have.

All in, £1250, which is an amount I had just about taken a huge, huge breath and decided to spend on a Swarovski scope alone, but you've swung me to this scope with your comments.

As I also have Pentax bins (10 x 42 DCF HRc) I'll look a bit like a walking advert for them, but I fnd their lenses to be good quality.

Now for a learning curve to get myself some good shots of birds and other wildlife...

...after the scope et al arrives, of course.

Thank you one and all for your insight.

Congrats on all your Pentax optics! I have the PF65 EDA II, the XW14mm and the XF 8.5mm eyepieces and some DCF SP 10x43 Binos. It is all EXCELLENT glass. I'm happy and I'm sure you will be too.

I almost bought the PF 80 but for what I am doing the smaller lighter package is a better fit. Who knows, maybe I'll run across a skookum deal on a PF 80 scope body on ebay someday and then I'll have both!

Have fun!

Perry

Boz,
this was taken with exactly the same equipment you just ordered.

SF

Attachments

• House Finch 07.jpg
    House Finch 07.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 197
Well, having had a look round this site, I can't think I'll ever be posting pics here - they're fantastic quality.

The scope has arrived, with lenses, but no camera adapter as yet, which is on back order - 6 weeks expected delivery time. I've tried a few snaps holding a Canon Ixus up to the lens, but it's not so good (or I'm not).

I took it out for its first external test to RSPB, Old Moor on Tuesday and got sight of the black tern that's all the rage there right now. I was surprised just how many people there have scopes - I even saw someone using a Questar telescope that looked like it must weigh a ton.

Here's an old pic of 'our' woodpecker to be going on with...

Attachments

• Woodpecker2.jpg
    Woodpecker2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 160
These are a couple of shots from the scope, using the Canon Ixus held to the eyepiece. Having said I didn't think it had worked at all well, I'm fairly pleased at these (though they are a bit too close up).

Still, my first attempt and when the camera adapter arrives, I'm quietly confident I might manage some half-decent shots.

BTW, where does one usually post pics? The gallery seems a little up market for me, but is that the place to go?

Attachments

• 018 copy.jpg
    018 copy.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 026 copy.jpg
    026 copy.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 162
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back