• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mrs Hume's Pheasant Watercolour (1 Viewer)

Ayuwat J

Hi everyone,
There's been a thread about my artworks here in this forum once but this is the first time for me to post in this forum by myself. Been working on a theme of birds and flowers for a while now. Here I'd like to share you a watercolour painting of a male Mrs Hume's Pheasant walking through the mixed oak and pine forest floor with Spathoglottis pubescens, a species of ground orchid found in hill evergreen forest in nothern Thailand in the background. It was inspired by my own sighting of this magnificent pheasant back in 2007 at Doi Angkang, Chiang Mai, Thailand. Hope you like it!

Any comments or critics are welcomed!

Ayuwat

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 163
A couple of close-up photos showing more details of the bird's head and the orchids

Attachments

• img001-2.jpg
    img001-2.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 84
  • img001-3.jpg
    img001-3.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 83
Its not just the bird but also the environment!
I love in particular the rendering of the green leaves in the back:t::t::clap:

Paschalis

Thanks all for your really kind words! I'm having fun going through the old posts in this forum, loads of great works to discover.

Thanks a lot, solitaryVSong, Oivind and Mark!
I love your works too. Here's another painting of Mrs Hume's Pheasant, a pair roosting on the tree with Wendland's Bulbophyllum. Inspired by my own sighting of roosting birds in early morning, as well as the wonderful blooming bulbophyllum that I've seen in the same area.

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 97
  • img002-2.jpg
    img002-2.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Thanks a lot, solitaryVSong, Oivind and Mark!
I love your works too. Here's another painting of Mrs Hume's Pheasant, a pair roosting on the tree with Wendland's Bulbophyllum. Inspired by my own sighting of roosting birds in early morning, as well as the wonderful blooming bulbophyllum that I've seen in the same area.

there's a lovely balance of colour in these two pheasant pics

and the especailly nice thing is that you get a real sense of looking down (at the pheasant on the ground) and up (at the resting birds)

Absolutely lovely Ton. I hope to see them at Doi Angkang or Doi Chiang Dao when I go to Chiang Mai...eventually somehow :t:

Wow! These are technically superb! I see an influence of some legendary bird artists of yesteryear in these, blended with some highly proficent brush work that give them that 'modern' feel. Very impressive.

Russ

Thanks a lot, Matt, Lykos and Cindy! :)

Absolutely lovely Ton. I hope to see them at Doi Angkang or Doi Chiang Dao when I go to Chiang Mai...eventually somehow :t:

Thanks, Hor Kee. Nice to find you here in BirdForum too.
Hope you find the pheasant soon. When is your next trip to Thailand?:-O

Wow! These are technically superb! I see an influence of some legendary bird artists of yesteryear in these, blended with some highly proficent brush work that give them that 'modern' feel. Very impressive.

Russ

Thank you so much, RussB. Your comment is really interesting and I really appreciate that! I'm still new at painting this kind of bird with environment sort of pic, and I'll definitely practice more.

Few days ago, I had my first attempt to paint birds in the water. Personally, I thought I would have failed this one, since the reflection is pretty messed up. I did, however, put a lot of mud lumps on it and it actually looked a bit better.:-O

I intentionally painted the Spoon-billed Sandpipers in juvenile plumage, just to give more hope about this seriously endangered species.

Edted: I forgot to tell that the plant in this pic is Herbaceous Seepweed (Suaeda maritima), a kind of plant that is abundant in coastal area and salt pans in the Gulf of Thailand where Spoon-billed Sandpipers can be found every winter. This plant changes its colour from green to yellow, orange, red and violet during dry season (winter).

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 69
  • img001-2.jpg
    img001-2.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Stunning work this, love the colour in all these pieces...

I know that these Spoonies will be very well received, wonderful painting..

Great color and placement of your subjects in your paintings, it will be enjoyable to be able to follow your work. Thank you for posting these. John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back