• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60HS in Action (3 Viewers)

Sending it in for repair at Lehmann's (UK) at the behest of my supplier
I'm going to mention the issues raised in this thread and keep you posted

I may have to pay some fees for postage and admin, but I think it's worth it to find out what's going on. I've only read about complaints and returns so far, so hopefully this may shed a little more light

Cheers

Marco

Hey Marco

Any news yet??

As it happens, I just got an email today from the supplier. They said that there was a 'manufacturing fault' and that a repair was being carried out. Please be patient etc. The repairers have had it a week so far. Can't say more than that until I get it back.

Ah, cheers for the update.
Be interesting to see a) what they do to it and, more importantly, b) whether it makes a difference to the IQ!!

i was out on Monday and we had good light for a change,i bumped up the shutter speed (800/)on the robin and stone chat pics but ended up with some noise in the background,all 5 pics taken at a very considerable distance,quality wise I cant see much difference from my sx 40 but now I have a lot more zoom (which is what I wanted)and a great video capability

Attachments

• rob.JPG
    rob.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 161
  • stone.JPG
    stone.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 144
  • d.JPG
    d.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 141
  • blf.jpg
    blf.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 195
  • bz.JPG
    bz.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 169
Bet those shots were taken at a greater zoom than the 40 could manage or even the 50.

What zoom length was being used.

Thought the Deer, Bully and Buzzard were quite decent.

"In regards to the fault that was with the camera, I have been informed that it was a manufacturing defect. The repairs that were done were:

- Replaced Optical Unit, "

Last edited:
"In regards to the fault that was with the camera, I have been informed that it was a manufacturing defect. The repairs that were done were:

- Replaced Optical Unit, Adjusted"

Jeez, who knew it had one of those?

WooHoo!!! Can't wait til you get it back, will be eagerly awaiting the results of your first shoot.
Thanks for taking the time and trouble and keeping us informed!

Having a look around, the SX50 optical unit costs £149, presumably the SX60 version is more expensive than that, then there's labour and shipping. They didn't do very well out of selling me a camera. I'll see what it's like next week, but I still don't understand why so many 'bad' examples got out there and even into the hands of people like Imaging Resource - you'd have thought Canon would make sure good, tested copies got to these influential sites.

Having a look around, the SX50 optical unit costs £149, presumably the SX60 version is more expensive than that, then there's labour and shipping. They didn't do very well out of selling me a camera. I'll see what it's like next week, but I still don't understand why so many 'bad' examples got out there and even into the hands of people like Imaging Resource - you'd have thought Canon would make sure good, tested copies got to these influential sites.

Sounds similar to the problem they had with the early 1D Mark III's, had to send a lot of them back to the repair facility for focusing problems.

- Replaced Optical Unit, "

Cheers Marco - interesting.....hope to see some pics with the new unit.....
What does the optical unit actually do anyway??

As it happens, I just got an email today from the supplier. They said that there was a 'manufacturing fault' and that a repair was being carried out. Please be patient etc. The repairers have had it a week so far. Can't say more than that until I get it back.

What were you experiencing again? Was it a focus issue or the jumpy IS issue?

Took the plunge, should have an SX60 in about 2 weeks. Getting the lens hood too, pretty much a necessity in my experience.

Then it's a matter of decent weather. I've been photographing tougher-to-shoot birds with my digiscoping gear in a new location the last two times out, so I have some benchmarks on conditions (overcast and poor), distances (50-100m), and quality to pit the SX60 against. I'll also try to go out to my usual spot and catch the white-tailed kites I usually photograph (good test of white clipping). Been using my digiscoping rig for about a year, so well aware of the limitations I'm stuck with. Should be a very fair comparison...the SX60 just has to appreciably beat my current capabilities.

Birds here move more (ducks and other marshland birds), so I'll also get a chance to try shooting moving birds (which I more or less can't now) as well as using with and without a tripod (though I hope to get a monopod for the SX60 instead, or a much lighter tripod).

Stay tuned...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back