• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hoverfly Thread (1 Viewer)

Confirmation of hoverfly IDs (UK)

Hello

The attached photos were all taken in Cumbria a few days ago. Have I got them right?

1 Heliophilus pendulus

2 Sericomyia silentis

3 Eristalis pertinax

I'm new to hoverflies, and they're the best matches I managed to find from photos posted on the net.

Many thanks

Paul

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 51
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 41
Hello

Can anyone ID this hoverfly please?

I took the photo in Cumbria a few weeks ago but forgot about it!

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• P9090103 ed 1000 cropped.jpg
    P9090103 ed 1000 cropped.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 43
Thanks John.

It was a complete accident. I'd been photographing a bee a minute or two earlier and it moved off. I thought I was photographing the same thing when I took this, and it wasn't until I got the photos downloaded onto the computer that I realised I had three shots of a bee, (I think it's a tawny mining bee)but the insect in the fourth photo had the face of a fly.

Thanks for your help. Neither of the two hoverflies you identified are in my book (Collins British Insects).

fly=Arctophila superbiens, bee=Bombus pascuorum. Andrena fulva (tawny mining bee) is early spring sp.

Hoverfly for id please.

Hi there everyone, seen in derbyshire, not seen 1 like this before.

014-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

Extreme macro Hoverfly ID

Whilst playing around with extreme macro last year I took these shots of a hoverfly but never identified what species it was. Both shots are full frame and the lower magnification one is focus stacked. Any help with the ID would be appreciated.

Attachments

• ePhoto2.jpg
    ePhoto2.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 55
  • ePhoto_BKC0656-Edit.jpg
    ePhoto_BKC0656-Edit.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 70
Wow! I came across this thread while trying to figure out what the hoverfly I shot on Saturday was - I never knew there were so many species. I was looking for Dartford Warblers on Ambersham Common (no luck, I think the winter may have done for them) when I saw this geezer hanging around in mid-air. I'd never tried using my 300 2.8 for shooting IiF, but this looked a good target.

From this thread I believe it's a Drone Fly, Eristalis tenax. Am I correct?

Attachments

• Bee.jpg
    Bee.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 69
Could anyone help with this one please. This is unfortunately the only pic.

Attachments

• unknown_20jun10_640s_2940.jpg
    unknown_20jun10_640s_2940.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 56
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back