• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica September 4 2017 (1 Viewer)

So if I’m reading this correctly the justification for purchase is simply their retro and aesthetic appeal? Something of such importance you are happy to forgo the best of current glass, coatings and water tightness?

LGM
:smoke:

Btw, AK and SP prism designs are old too. However, new binoculars using these old prism designs have updated lenses and updated coatings. Maybe the fact the old Uppendahl prisms being used is throwing you off. The new Trinovids have new glass and coatings...same as any new binocular, so the view should be modern. Just that the prism design is a bit more unique since it hasn't been used for a while. From what some experts here are saying it may make the view a little brighter.

The only thing retro is the old body design, lack of waterproofing and ER is a little short. The view should compare just fine with current binoculars.

Ironically, what is pushed forward here is lighter weight and slimmer binocular compared to current top binoculars.

It will be nice to get some reviews in. The more I look at the 7x35 the more I want one, but I still think ER is a tad too short with eyeglasses.

Cashed up Hipsters could be another potential market for these new trinovids. It fits with the image well....jump on your funky Reynolds 531 'fixie' (with Brooks saddle) and ride to the local paleo cafe with red beard waving in the breeze and those trinovids strapped under an arm.

Cashed up Hipsters could be another potential market for these new trinovids. It fits with the image well....jump on your funky Reynolds 531 'fixie' (with Brooks saddle) and ride to the local paleo cafe with red beard waving in the breeze and those trinovids strapped under an arm.

Spot on and I can't help feeling these dudes are missing a trick on the hipster front:

https://www.tapanddye.com/collectio...amera-fixed-length-neck-shoulder-strap-porter

Albeit what fits a camera will also .....................

LGM

So if I’m reading this correctly the justification for purchase is simply their retro and aesthetic appeal? Something of such importance you are happy to forgo the best of current glass, coatings and water tightness?:

Retro and asthetic appeal they have. Lack of waterproofness is a big minus, indeed. But they will have all the coatings of modern bins. And: 150 m fov, 5 mm EP at 550g... which other modern bin can do this?

Retro and asthetic appeal they have. Lack of waterproofness is a big minus, indeed. But they will have all the coatings of modern bins. And: 150 m fov, 5 mm EP at 550g... which other modern bin can do this?

There's simply no other binocular around that offers this combination of features - large exit pupil, low weight and large field of view. In addition the old Trinovid had a very smooth, reliable and precise focuser. Plus it was one of the smallest, slimmest, most elegant binoculars on the market, making it very easy to handle, even for people with small hands.

That combination of features will make it fairly unique, even in today's world. Or especially in today's world, where binoculars have tended to become bigger and/or heavier all the time.

Hermann

There's simply no other binocular around that offers this combination of features - large exit pupil, low weight and large field of view. In addition the old Trinovid had a very smooth, reliable and precise focuser. Plus it was one of the smallest, slimmest, most elegant binoculars on the market, making it very easy to handle, even for people with small hands.

That combination of features will make it fairly unique, even in today's world. Or especially in today's world, where binoculars have tended to become bigger and/or heavier all the time.

Hermann

Hermann:

You have said it well, this is a nice new binocular on the marketplace.
For the naysayers, none of them would even consider a binocular of
this quality, so they should not complain.

I am looking forward to some reviews of those who try one of these.

Jerry

The 'justification' for purchase is a personal decision per individual.

Last weekend I had a quick chat with a man who was using an old 20+ yr old rubber armored Zeiss. Looked in some ways similar to the classic Trinovid. No doubt he still uses it for the light weight, reliability and still competent optics and mechanics.

Every so often I see birders still using their the old classic Trinovids. Obviously, they still help people view nature and hold up well.

Lots of people before us have been birding with non-waterproof bins for a long time and some still do.

Also, the new classic Trinovids have updated glass and coatings...they are just using the old Uppendahl prisms, not the same lenses used decades ago.

I think the view on these new Trinovids should be very good and certainly very usable for birding/nature observation.

I fully understand the above and the attraction of acquiring a classic bin with updated key components. If indeed this is what we are looking at here.

After all I would be the first to bag a pair of classic Zeiss 8X56 BGATS if at some future stage they were to reissue with HT glass and a limited edition option for other than black rubber armouring!

I just don't see the new Trini as a sensible alternative to one of the current Alphas. Something I believe we are now in agreement?

LGM
Ps: I love your avatar. So cool!

There's simply no other binocular around that offers this combination of features - large exit pupil, low weight and large field of view.

I think the MHG 8x42 comes pretty close: EP=5.25mm, FOV=145m and W=660g. In addition it's an 8x, and it's waterproof. That being said, I am also tempted to try the "new classic" Trinovid. However I am more interested in the 10x40, and unfortunately its FOV is not very competitive. Also I was wondering if anyone can comment on the leathered vs the rubber armor: the former is more classy but the latter is more practical (although it does not look so nice).

So if I’m reading this correctly the justification for purchase is simply their retro and aesthetic appeal? Something of such importance you are happy to forgo the best of current glass, coatings and water tightness?

To my untutored or Leica-struck eye they look no more than a pleasing set of opera bins that would need to be very comfortable with their own company as the only interaction between now and the next production of Nixon In China would be with my long-suffering tuxedo.

LGM
:smoke:
You sound like my other half. When she says stop living in the past. I like it there its safer :t:

There is indeed an alternative - the old Trinovids - made in Germany! I'll be keen to try the new Leica against the proper old Leitz Trinovids to see if it's all worthwhile for a non spec wearer. All the FOVs appear to be a downgrade in the new models. Weight is possibly up too...I'll have to get out the scales.
The old 8x32 have 150m (same as the new 7x)
The 10x40 have 122m
The 6x24 have 212m

I was using the 6x24 today alongside the 10x Noctivid. No problems whatsoever. Never once did I feel I was looking at a compromised view in the older trinovid.

Rathaus

Hermann

:t::t::t::t::t:

Lee

After a little search in our archives I found the spectral data of the original Leitz Trinovid 7x35 and they show that Leitz/Leica upgraded the binoculars in the course of time as mr. Hengst wrote me in 2007.
Leitz Trinovid 7x35B (1965): transmission 500nm=62% at 555 nm=66%
Leitz Trinovid 7x35B (1981): Transmission 500 nm= 78% at 555 nm=81%
Leica reports a transmission of 90% of the newest Leitz Trinovid 7x35B, so the binoculars gained in brightness and with the latest technology in the present series also in resolution because of the application of a phase shifting coating.
Gijs van Ginkel

I'm sorry but the previous posts on weather resistance were not fully clear to me.

The instructions say: "The Leica Trinovid binoculars have a splashwater-proof aluminum chassis. They should therefore be protected from heavy rain and moisture, for example in the carrying case included in the
scope of delivery."

So if they can't withstand heavy rain or even just "moisture", then what exactly does "splashwater-proof" really mean?

Leica reports a transmission of 90% of the newest Leitz Trinovid 7x35B, so the binoculars gained in brightness and with the latest technology.

Yep... Leica reports a transmission of 110% of the newest Leitz Trinovid 10x40, so I belive it is not a reliable source of information... ;)

I fully understand the above and the attraction of acquiring a classic bin with updated key components. If indeed this is what we are looking at here.

After all I would be the first to bag a pair of classic Zeiss 8X56 BGATS if at some future stage they were to reissue with HT glass and a limited edition option for other than black rubber armouring!

I just don't see the new Trini as a sensible alternative to one of the current Alphas. Something I believe we are now in agreement?

LGM
Ps: I love your avatar. So cool!

I think that's exactly what we're looking at here - classic body with updated glass and coatings.

It's not intended to compete with alphas. I imagine the view could be high quality but we need wait for some initial reviews. The 7x35 looks like it could be simply a great birding bino - wide FOV, small/light and bright with 5mm EP and deep DOF. Its a bit expensive and I would have liked to see it around 800-1k, but supposedly the prism type is a little more expensive to make.

Arek, post 175,
110 % transmission?? There must be an image laser system inside......
The person who wrote that at Leica will probably be barbecued slowly on an intense fire by his/her colleagues either in Wetzlar or in Portugal.
Gijs van Ginkel

I'm sorry but the previous posts on weather resistance were not fully clear to me.

The instructions say: "The Leica Trinovid binoculars have a splashwater-proof aluminum chassis. They should therefore be protected from heavy rain and moisture, for example in the carrying case included in the
scope of delivery."

So if they can't withstand heavy rain or even just "moisture", then what exactly does "splashwater-proof" really mean?

Mark

My interpretation is that Leica doesn't guarantee they will withstand any kind of continuous exposure to water whether that is in the form of rain droplets or high humidity. However a momentary spatter or splash of water (not a tsunami) would be ok.

Someone elsewhere has pointed out that the originals were not described as waterproof and I have also posted that my wife's 1976 unit has suffered hours of heavy rain without fogging or leaking.

Sounds to me that Leica have reissued these models with the same sealing as originally and that these aren't considered up to modern definitions of waterproof.

Lee

I'll be interested to see Gijs and Arek's measured light transmission for the new Trinovids. If the optical designs are identical to the originals 90% would be a modest claim for a simple design with only 10 glass to air surfaces. With the best modern coatings 95-96% seems more like what it should be.

The price is about the same as the price of the originals in the late 1980s, when adjusted for inflation, so the new eyecup and coating improvements are essentially free. Throw in a genuine leather pouch and the price looks completely reasonable.

There is indeed an alternative - the old Trinovids - made in Germany!...

For those who can see how dramatically phase coatings improve the view through roof prism bins, there is no going back to old bins (or at least no desire to spend $$$ on them).

For me, the deal killer spec of these new 7x35 when considering use in the field, is the close focus. Four feet would have been great, but I'd settle for six. Ten ft is just too far. When I want a bin that is light, compact, wide FOV, good eye-relief and close focus, I'll be reaching for the Zeiss 8x32 FL. Wish it had 5 mm exit pupils, but I'll live without them.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back