• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RawShooter and AMD Athlon (1 Viewer)

retep d

I have downloaded RawShooter essentials onto my computer as I found it very useful for RAW files when I used it at a friends.

On trying to run the programe I got the following message:
"Some AMD Athlon XP based systems require a BIOS change or update in order to enable SSE."

I'm a complete novice when it comes to computer hardware - can anyone help with this challenge?

Thanks Peter

Hey Peter, BIOS 'flashing' is akin to brain surgery - one slip and it'll never work again ...

It can be done quite easily though - depending on your motherboard manufacturer! I doubt if it will work for many 'boards though - SSE is specifically an Intel thing (I think), ie. the software is written (exclusively) for Intel processors.

Have you tried the Microsoft RAW software?

Cheers,

Andy.

Have you tried the Microsoft RAW software?
Andy

Thanks for this Andy - it might be better to have a look at another programe rather than risk a terminal slip!

Whats the Microsoft stuff like?

Peter

No, Athlons have done SSE for many years. The only thing that the programmer could be talking about is that for Windows XP to know that the CPU is capabl;e of SSE, it has to recognise the CPU properly. It relies on the motherboard to do this for it. If your CPU is a new model relative to the motherboard, then it can be functional but not properly recognised. (This can happen if the motherboard is say six months old but the CPU type has only been out for one month.) The BIOS flash "teaches" the mainboard what the CPU is, so it can tell Windows, and Windows can tell your program. It's not hard to do, but not something you want to do yourself.

It will only help if the CPU is not already properly recognised - i.e., if your system starts up and says something like "unknown CPU type" instead of something like "AMD Athlon XP 2500". Chances are, you don't need it.

Why, by the way, do we have this complicated chain of BIOS to Windows to software instead of the program just cheking on the CPU for itself? Lazy programming, usually. Not a very good sign.

Simple answer: you probably should buy something else.

It works fine on my 'puter. Thought it would be complicated but no. RAW images just open like the others in 'window picture and fax viewer'. Thumbnail images are there too in the 'My Pictures folder'. Unless your photo sotfware can open RAW direct, you would still have to convert to TIFF, jpg etc.

Hope that helps a little..

Last edited:
retep d said:
My thanks to you all. I think I'll follow Tannin's advice and buy something else!
Peter

My post was referring to the free Microsoft RAW viewer download. Like I said, it works fine. You can see all your RAW pictures as pointed out.

Photoshop, I think now has direct RAW file format built in as do one or two of the other photo-editing packages. If yours doesn’t then you just use the software that came with the camera and convert to your format of choice and save. It’s as simple as that..

javva

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back